[Adventure] The Sibylline Idol (Judge covaithe)

Gameforged

First Post
"Ah yes, the eternal search of knowledge..." Dalzim makes a disregarding gesture "Shall we move on with the details of our job?" the gnome inquires. "I am truly bored right now" he admits.

Erekose13

Explorer
"Excellent. Welcome then Amicus, I hope that all of you may help me in an investigation of an odd nature to say the least. I apologize for taking so long, I am no longer the spry young man of ages past. Getting to the point then, pass me that book Incarnation, if you will." the old sage says, pointing to a book to Incarnation's left. The book is a small red covered book with black binding. The cover is unadorned though the pages look well used. The cover sizzles as the warforged picks it up, his fingers smoking from touching the notebook.

"I've got to be careful with you about don't I." he says, taking the book. He flips to a page in the middle of the book and reviews a few notes that he had made. "As I had eluded too earlier and to bring our young eldarin friend up to speed, I need help investigating a death. A shifter named Rosvodiz was found dead this morning in his residence. Rosvodiz is an older shifter who has lived here in Daunton for several years. He belonged to an adventuring group called the Caput Mortuum, a bit nihilistic for my tastes, but none the less. Rosvodiz was the last member of the ill-fated group and was not really sane any more these days."

Astrepius pauses a moment to sip his tea. His voice is much more steady here in his own sanctuary, his throat cleared by the heavy scents and strong teas. "I had been speaking these past few months with Rosvodiz regarding the last adventure that Caput Mortuum had been on. As an occultist, I am keenly interested in the hidden knowledge that seems to drive you all as well. I seek the truth in the obvious, looking beyond appearances to find true meaning. The search for that knowledge does take me to study realms that others would rather keep silent such as cults, daemonic worship, numerology, and other esotericism."

"Caput Mortuum's final encounter found them rooting out a daemonic cult beneath Daunton. Rosvodiz tried to tell me about what he saw and what befell Caput Mortuum, but his mind had been shattered. From the snippets I transcribed, the words that he remembered were very similar to an ancient form of the Imperial speech. I had hoped that either of you might offer me some insight and that together you would help me find out what happened to poor Rosvodiz. I had been nearing a breakthrough with him and his death on the cusp of discovery is no coincidence. Someone put a stop to our conversations in a rather violent manner." he finishes, pausing to see how everyone will react and taking a moment to sip his still steaming tea.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The warforged listened with its fingers touching; it was apparently its "rest" state. Hearing of the 'Caput Mortuum', the warforged's seemed to be lost in thought a moment.

[OOC: Kn: Arcana 19 and Kn: History 15 on that name, just in case he's heard anything]

When the sage stops, the 'forged's raspy voice can just be heard. The dead are not beyond reach; those with the correct rites can speak to the passed. Have you tried such?

EvolutionKB

First Post
Rurdev

Rurdev nods, the 'forged was right. Surely their frail employer would have tried such a thing. "How l-l-long ago did they g-go after the c-c-c-cult? Where are and w-what happened to the other m-m-mmembers of the g-group?" Rurdev stutters out, pausing several times to lick the bits of foam from the corners of his mouth.

Graf

Explorer
Amicus smiles at the sages invitation and seems to relax a bit on his stool. He takes the time too look around the group.

As the old man continues he purses his lips, he knew something of religion and had and eldarin's familiarity with history but he could not provide any more than the most prosaic information [10 & 12].

He leaded back to see what the others could share.

Erekose13

Explorer
A note to all my games, apologies for the continued delay. I'm back, but trying to catch up with the avalanche of work that has hit me being away for a week. I'll try to post tonight.

Erekose13

Explorer
[sblock=Skill Checks]
[sblock=Arcana DC 15]Daemonic cults are rare groups of heretical non-believers who worship entities believed to be separate from the divine. These demons are powerful individuals of extreme violence and destruction.
[sblock=Arcana DC 20]Numerology is the belief that numbers form an inherent connection between all things. In literature it figures heavily in reading further meaning into the position of letters, the numerical significance of certain words, or the hidden meanings to passages.
[sblock=Arcana DC 25]Other forms of esotericism range from theoritical scientific experimentation to gnosticism to discussions of other-worldly beings beyond the divine and mortal. Theories on those other-wordly beings were recently discussed amongst academics when the Five defeated the great monsterosity that emerged near Daunton. Some postulated that it was a creature born outside of existance in a place conceptually called the Far Realm.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[sblock=History DC 15]Caput Mortuum were an unusual bunch of adventurers that achieved some small noteriety several years ago. They had travelled to the Jade Empire and recovered an ancestral sword rumored to have been created by the great Western Spirit. Their leader was a warrior named Fforim who wielded the Stormbound Sword. Their second member was an odd cleric of Dayna from Bacarte named Anders. Rosvodiz served the group as their more intellectual member, he was known to be quite reserved and quiet.
[sblock=History DC 20]The daemonic cult that Caput Mortuum ousted had called itself the Umberal Sliver. It had been responsible for the murders of several street people and kobolds living beneath Daunton in the sewers and hidden spaces under the city.
[sblock=History DC 25]The Umberal Sliver were cultists that believed that through sacrifice and prayers they could awaken a monsterosity from beyond. It was the Five who stopped the Brotherhood of the Bright Eon two years ago when they too tried (this time successfully) to summon a creature from the deep. It is thought that knowledge of these creatures from a place called the Far Realm was originally brought to light at the beginning the Imperium.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[sblock=Dungeoneering DC 25]There are several bolt holes, ancient caverns, and secret passages twisting beneath Daunton's sewer system. The dark things that lurk in the deeps very rarely disturb the surface, preferring to work in the black abyss.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Religion DC 20]Daemonic cults are rare groups of heretical non-believers who worship entities believed to be separate from the divine. These demons are powerful individuals of extreme violence and destruction.
[sblock=Religion DC 25]Other forms of esotericism range from theoritical scientific experimentation to gnosticism to discussions of other-worldly beings beyond the divine and mortal. Theories on those other-wordly beings were recently discussed amongst academics when the Five defeated the great monsterosity that emerged near Daunton. Some postulated that it was a creature born outside of existance in a place conceptually called the Far Realm.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Incarnation said:
The dead are not beyond reach; those with the correct rites can speak to the passed. Have you tried such?

I have not attempted to contact Rosvodiz' spirit yet, though we can certainly conduct our investigation in that direction. I should have a scroll of Speak with the Dead around here somewhere." the old sage replies, as he looks down at the stacks around his chair. "Perhaps a search is in order in a few minutes."

Rurdev said:
"How l-l-long ago did they g-go after the c-c-c-cult? Where are and w-what happened to the other m-m-mmembers of the g-group?"

It would've been about 12 years ago that the Caput Mortuum routed out the cultists and prevented what ever twisted ritual was being preformed. The other two members of the group were killed by the cultists while trying to put down the cult." he replies.

[sblock=ooc]Sorry for the delay, hopefully I wont have another one of those till December.[/sblock]

Erekose13

Explorer
ooc: only new ones for those you haven't done, or a complete set of rolls for those who haven't thrown the virtual dice yet. It is an opportunity now to use aid another though if someone would prefer to go that route.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases