Line of Sight

acrobata2000

First Post
I'm desing new posters to use in my rpg sessions. I need your feedbacks.

Are these situations RIGHT or WRONG?

Let´s talk abouit it!

acrobata2000@hotmail.com

I'll do next time others pictures talking about "cover".

Attachments

• 01 Line of sight.jpg
    01 Line of sight.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 02 Line of sight.jpg
    02 Line of sight.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 03 Lines of Sight [Blocking Terrain].jpg
    03 Lines of Sight [Blocking Terrain].jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 04 Lines of Sight [Special Situations 1].jpg
    04 Lines of Sight [Special Situations 1].jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 04 Lines of Sight [Special Situations 2].jpg
    04 Lines of Sight [Special Situations 2].jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Both examples in #1 have no line of sight.

In #2 I guess if it's total darkness and you don't have low-light vision or something... it's always confusing so I rarely bother with it as a DM.

For #2, example 1, draw the line from the top-right corner of the red dot's square to the yellow dot. It will touch the corner of that wall and that will block line of sight (so the outcome isn't changed, but it will save arguments later). You might (although it gets messy) add notes / lines denoting cover (where there is line of sight). I know you have other posters to cover that, but I wonder if it would be helpful.

Also, for the invisible creature, it has total concealment and you have to guess what square it's in, although that's a little messy IMO and could due with some improvements on WOTC's end. :)

Dalzig

First Post
First picture: Definitely no Line of Sight for either.

Second picture: I can't see anything that's wrong, but it would make it better if each creature chose the best possible case to determine LoS. #1 might have LoS if you check from the top-right of the target. #5 might have LoS if you check from the top-right of the target.

Neubert

First Post
What I would find interesting (and something I am not sure of the answer to myself), is this:
In case #2, #3 and #9 - what if the creatures were standing at the "edge" of the effect blocking line of sight? (Meaning if in case 2, the creature was standing 1 square to the right, in case 3, twice to the right and one up (or simply just 1 square up), etc).

Dalzig

First Post
What I would find interesting (and something I am not sure of the answer to myself), is this:
In case #2, #3 and #9 - what if the creatures were standing at the "edge" of the effect blocking line of sight? (Meaning if in case 2, the creature was standing 1 square to the right, in case 3, twice to the right and one up (or simply just 1 square up), etc).

The rules actually seem to be silent on the issue. They never really cover what happens on the edges between squares. Personally, I rule that as long as you are in an effect that blocks LoS, you can't see squat.

Neubert

First Post
I agree, but allow me to play devils advocate. You can actually draw a line from the corner of one of your square that never touches any of the squares where the effect is in place.

Dalzig

First Post
I agree, but allow me to play devils advocate. You can actually draw a line from the corner of one of your square that never touches any of the squares where the effect is in place.

Ah, but is the "corner of your square" still counted as part of your square, or is it in some mystical place between the squares?

First picture: Definitely no Line of Sight for either.

Second picture: I can't see anything that's wrong, but it would make it better if each creature chose the best possible case to determine LoS. #1 might have LoS if you check from the top-right of the target. #5 might have LoS if you check from the top-right of the target.
Well since #5 does have LOS... it's kinda irrelevant. Geometry will show you that the line from the top-right of #1 must go at a 45 degree angle to hit the top-right of the target, and that it therefore must also touch the corner of the wall, blocking LOS.

Remove ads