How Many Beers per Gaming Session?

How many alcoholic drinks per PC on avg. are consumed in a typical session?

• None. We don't drink & game.

Votes: 166 54.8%
  • One.

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • Two.

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Three.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • Four.

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Five.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Six.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Seven or more. Who's counting?

Votes: 9 3.0%

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
I know some folks and some groups do not drink at all, and others treat game night as a "beer & pretzels" type atmosphere. AFAIC, there's no right or wrong answer here. Just curious if imbibing a few drinks is the norm or not. Ergo, a poll.

The question: How many alcoholic drinks does an individual in your group, on average, have during a typical gaming session?

Note: We're talking individual averages here. So if you have a five person group, and one guy drinks 5 beers while no one else drinks any, the answer insofar as this poll is concerned would be "1". Capisce?

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
For me, the typical session doesn't have any alcohol. We have a couple underage gamers (in the U.S.), and it's just never been an issue. So my answer is 'None'.

That said, I do get together (all too infrequently) with older friends of years past, and these are more 'events' than 'sessions'. During these, we do drink a number of beers and Jack & Cokes.

WP

Shemeska

Adventurer
I voted none. However there have been exceptions like a Halloween one-shot that was pirate themed and everyone passed around a bottle of exceedingly fine imported rum. And I have a oneshot or two that had I thought about it, I would have been tempted to have a martini on hand as a prop for using my namesake character as an NPC in the adventure setup.

Tuerny

First Post
I put down one on average, but those are focused on a few players. I don't drink, and neither do a few others. I don't care if others do, however.

JackSmithIV

First Post
I'm a GM as well as a New York Bartender. I used to do a Sapphire & Tonic before the game, but now occasionally I'll have a beer or two. Sometimes, we'll do a nice meal before or after the game, so we'll have, for example, Fettucini Alfredo and drink maybe Peroni. Sometimes we go more extravagant. As for drinking during the game, it's usually just me and the girlfriend (swordmage).

We don't drink. The wife and I host, and we do not allow alcoholic drink on the premises. Anyone showing up to a game drunk would be asked to leave. In our group of 7, four are teetotalers for religious/faith reasons, 1 for health reasons, and the other two, I think, may drink occasionally, but I've never seen them do it.

Same thing with smoking - no smokers in the group. One member has severe Asthma and being a room with a smoker for hours would trigger a severe attack, even if the person hadn't smoked in hours. So no smoking, or smokers in our group.

It entirely depends on the group.

The first 3.0 campaign I played in was like a really geeky version of poker night. Several of the players were married or lived with a significant other and, not being bar going types, this was their main source of out-of-bounds entertainment. The table talk was maybe half d&d and half ranting and rambling about comics and sci-fi books and movies. Cramped in a smoke filled room we would easily go through at least a full case of beer. Much like poker night we loved the d&d but the idea of d&d night was also an excuse.

Now in my current 4e game there's usually a six pack or two of something nice if any one wants any, as well as a variety of soda. (I started a bonus xp reward for bringing snacks and it's really worked out wonderfully. Chips, pretzels, pizza, its awesome.) The group's evenly split with three party members drinking soda and two party members and myself having at least 2 or 3 beers. No one gets drunk, typically, though I notice one player doesn't really get "in to" character until at least one beer in. I think she may have stage fright.

If there were ever problems due to people being too drunk to play I might consider banning, or at least limiting, it in my own games but so far that hasn't really happened.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I cant run a game drunk, and since two players have bad family history, its pretty much alcohol free zones. Now if we are playing munchkin, settlers, apples to apples - its 3-6. Then we invite the other halves as well, and its more social than gaming.

Remove ads