• Yes

Votes: 67 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • What this has to do with RPG?

Votes: 5 5.9%

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Depends which version of Lodoss War you're watching. The OVA 13 episode version is maybe better to watch as ep 2-6, ep 1, and then ep 7-13. The first episode was intended as a test to find out characters people would be most interested.

The TV show couldn't make up its mind whether it was a reboot or a continuation, so sort of bounced between the 2.

Good soundtracks for both--even if "Knight of Lodoss" was a recycle of a Jerry Goldsmith theme.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Loved it, but now I think Sword Art Online is a better western-like fantasy adventure experience. The Tower of Druaga is not bad, either.

I have to say, I LOVED the series, back in the day! :D

Now, from today's perspective, there is surely equally good stuff out there in the animation department, let alone all the mainstream-pleasing fantasy flicks, from LotR and the Hobbit, to Legend of the Seeker. But back in the day, when the series was released in the West in 1994, there was nothing quite like it. Objectively, the series has its corny moments, but mind you that it was competing against stuff like "Hercules - the Legenday Journeys", and such animated gems like "Amon Saga", and "Arielle The Little Mermaid". Apart from "Disney's Gummibears" (!), this was pretty much the only remotely enjoyable animated rendering of epic fantasy on the small screen, and I again have to say, this holds a place in my heart otherwise reserved for stuff like Star Wars, Twin Peaks, and Master and Commander. :)

Now, the problem with the Lodoss universe was the same that Star Wars had. ;) At some point the original creator took over writing department: The series that everyone praises is the 1990 OVA; the follow-ups, 1995's "Crystania", 1998's "Lodoss War TV", and 2001's "Rune Soldier" were not even bad, just pretty mediocre. That the series is even talked about today is testament to the original 1990 series- and that one, I can recommend you to watch when you get the chance. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases