• Yes

Votes: 67 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • What this has to do with RPG?

Votes: 5 5.9%

Darth Shoju

First Post
Here's the thing: when it was actually about the party of adventurers, it was cool. But Lodoss War fell back into the trap of putting one character in the center stage and everyone else getting more-or-less written out of the final acts. Man, Woodchuck was one of the cooler characters, and look at how they just threw him away.

Maybe it's just me, but ensemble casts are far more interesting than solo acts.

I'd agree, particularly when the character you focus on is as generic as Parn. Still, I enjoy Lodoss War quite a bit. I own the OVA and I'm looking to add the TV series one of these days.

arecrast.jpg

"Arecrast" is name of the biggest continent.
Lodoss is at south (mentioned as "Iland of Damned" in this map).

Hi, and sorry for this insolent necro - but I am looking for a bigger resolution of this map - or, for the original source of the map, that is.

I own most Lodoss/Sword World stuff, but I haven't seen an English/Westernized map of the Arecrast continent, anywhere, which would come very useful for, well, actual games. ;) The one poster "Syunsuke" linked to is too small to be be usable, lamentably.

Can anyone please point me to a Western map of the Forcelia/SW main continent?

And, yeah, I know there are Western maps of Lodoss and Crystania, aplenty - I am not looking for those!

Thank you very much,

Rafe

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I always thought Ashram was more central character, and Paan was the outside figure--like Star Wars became more and more about Vader, and Luke became a side character.

Thank you! Yeah, it seems it's almost impossible to find English material based on SW. There used to be SOME stuff out there, but only very, very little, and apparently from sources that have long been either taken down, or trimmed, considerably.

I love the old series dearly, and I wish it had been marketed way better in the West. SW, while not a great game is still deeper than many of the "retroclones". - And that's not a snubb on the retroclones. :)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I've honestly not given it a chance. Despite being half Japanese and a lover of Japanese folklore, I absolutely detest anime/manga. As soon as I see a cartoon figure with giant eyes, I change the channel. I watched Speed Racer as a kid, but that seemed closer to reality than most anime titles. I've heard of Lodoss War, but that's about it.

MarkB

Legend
I started watching it, 10? 12 years ago? And didn't get past the first couple of episodes.

The style of story-telling turned me off.

That was pretty much my own experience. I enjoy anime and was expecting to like this series, but I've tried on a couple of occasions and just bounced hard off the first couple of episodes each time.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
So you don't watch Disney either?

Outside of movies my parents might have taken me to see as a kid, no, I don't watch Disney either. Giant eyed anime characters have significantly larger eyes than other cartoons, though I would agree that larger than life eyes is a common trait among many cartoon styles. I can tell the obvious difference between anime and other large eyed cartoon characters. Despite being a lifetime artist, I've pretty much stopped watching cartoons by the time I was 12. I love to create art, but I don't do cartooning, I prefer realistic style - in my art, in the art I most appreciate. Modern art turns me off, if I cannot readily recognizes what I'm seeing, I lack appreciation for it. You could simply state I don't watch cartoons ever, not from any culture, Japan, US or otherwise. I was never into comics either, except for a short stint reading horror comics like Vampirella, Cousin Eerie and Uncle Creepy - I was never into super heroes, so consequently superhero movies mean absolutely nothing to me, as well. Also consider that I use 3D software today, and have been for more than 10 years, despite that, I don't care for purely 3D animation movies like Beowulf, either.

Last edited:

Remove ads