• Yes

Votes: 67 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • What this has to do with RPG?

Votes: 5 5.9%

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I've got the complete OVA on DVD better believe I like it.

As for good anime to start with, just gonna list a bunch in this sblock to not take up space:

[sblock]

• Ghost in The Shell: One of the animes that helped found cyberpunk, along with AKIRA. This is a breath taking anime especially at the time. It follows a cyborg and her task-force as the hunt down who or what the "Puppet Master" is and explore what being Human is.
  • Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex: It is the tv/add-on movie version. Though should be noted it is much more post-cyberpunk then cyberpunk, ie; the atmosphere and themes are different then the original.
  • Cowboy Bebop: I know you said you saw some of it, but I recommend giving it a second shot, the series is a ton better then the movie. Once you get more invested in the characters it really gets good.
  • AKIRA: This along with Ghost in The Shell were two of the big animes that introduced anime to North America during the late-80s. It is a post-apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo and involves extremely powerful-psychics.
  • Grave of The Fireflies: Get ready to bawl your eyes out over this extremely touching and sad, WWII story. It involves two siblings trying to survive in war-torn Japan. Robert Ebert has even called it one of the best war films of all time.
  • Perfect Blue: This is probably the best stalker film in general I have ever seen. Extremely gripping, tons of twists and genuinely creepy at times. Note though, if your not a fan of violence or nudity it may not be for you.
  • Paprika: This is simply a visual feast, it involves the world of dreams and the world of reality slowly molding together.
  • Millennium Actress: This is another extremely touching movie. It is about two documentary makers interviewing a old retired, Japanese actress. As she tells her story of her life, her movies and her life begin to interweave into one magical story. It is another feast for the eyes as well.
  • Tokyo Godfathers: Yet another sweet movie
    razz.gif
    This one involves a odd-ball group of homeless living in Tokyo who discover a abandoned baby and their journey (at times quite funny) to reunite it with its mother.
  • Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya: It is a quite hilarious television show about this girl Haruhi who has the capabilities to essentially control the universe and dream up whatever she wishes, but she doesn't know.
  • Azumanga Daioh: Another teenager one, but it is quite funny, with some oddball surreal parts. It is following the journey of 6 female students through their days in highschool.
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: The last teenager one. This involves a female student who finds out she has the ability to "leap through time" (or more accurately into the past). It is about her troubles, joys, and tribulations as she deals with this potential. It can be both hilarious and quite sad.
  • Spice and Wolf: This is about a merchant in a loosely-hidden version of medieval Europe. He ends up becoming partners with a Wolf-Goddess who looks after the wheat fields. They journey to see what has happened to her home in the north.[/sblock]

I voted no.....I really loathe anime, I have tried to like it. Watched a lot but to me it like grinding in MMos and Rugby League...they have a lot of things I should like but they bore me to tears.

Oni

First Post
I enjoyed it when I saw it, but I wouldn't exactly call it good. If you like dnd and you like anime then you should probably watch it just 'cause.

[edit: even more cheesey but recommendable on the same grounds is Bastard!]

Shroomy

Adventurer
Well, I had my fiancee reserve the first disc from the library, so I guess I'll be able to give some sort of opinion later this week.

Serendipity

Explorer
Eh, it's not bad. My tastes in anime run more to horror and SF generally. I never really got much of a D&D feel from it honestly. Haven't seen it in ages though.

Aldarc

Legend
I think that it would be fairly easy to convert Lodoss to 4E. The Forest of No Return could easily lead into the Feywild and Marmo could have links with the Shadowfell. There is a distinction created between the high elves/eldarin (ie Deedlit) and wood elves/elf as well as half-elves (ie Leaf). The dragonborn could be integrated as connections to the ancient dragons. Turn halflings into grassrunners. Tieflings may be a bit of a problem.

Also the deities of Lodoss is rather interesting. They were created by a greater deity whose act of creation of the world and the gods caused the Ao-like deity to die. The gods had physical forms that helped to establish the world but the war of the gods caused their mutual annihilation, but although their physical forms are dead, their spirits form the backdrop of the world and can be tapped into and felt by the inhabitants. Also some deities' avatars can be resurrected.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
[edit: even more cheesey but recommendable on the same grounds is Bastard!]

Yes, Bastard! is great. Might be worth mentioning it has nudity and swearing, if those are concerns for whoever would be interested. Also has some gore (like limbs flying off), but I'm guessing the first two would upset more people than that. *sigh*

Remove ads