Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Like the Incredibles? (Or is that a comic book movie because it's what the FF should be?)
Do NOT get me started! 😅

TLDR: Aquaman is tracking even worse than the Marvels. It too had an initial film that grossed over a billion. I think we can safely say that the superhero movie bubble has burst.
TPTB need to ask themselves if it's because they're making bad superhero movies or because of factors beyond their control. They will reliable blame the wrong thing(s), i.e. not themselves.
Well, the earliest Gunn DC movie is 2 years away. Hard to predict how things will develop.

It would certainly help if they stopped releasing bad movies for a while between now and then.
Are there any DC movies on the horizon between Aquaman 2 and Superman: Legacy (or whatever is called)?
Since Endgame we had films that had to be released during a pandemic, followed by films that were made during a pandemic, into a writers strike. These are all factors that shouldn't be discounted...
1000xTHIS

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
TPTB need to ask themselves if it's because they're making bad superhero movies or because of factors beyond their control. They will reliable blame the wrong thing(s), i.e. not themselves.

Looking at Aquaman 2 tracking, and then back at Shazam, Blue Beetle, and Flash, I think we can all learn the same lesson ...

Clearly, they need to stop pushing their man-centric messages at us. How many bombs is it going to take before the studios realize that they have lost sight of their goals, and they need to stop pushing this tired agenda on us?

That's what everyone is saying, right?

Do NOT get me started! 😅

Are there any DC movies on the horizon between Aquaman 2 and Superman: Legacy (or whatever is called)?

I had a look and there’s nothing scheduled between Aquaman 2 and Superman Legacy at this point.

I always thought that the first Aquaman wouldn’t have made a billion dollars if Solo had stuck with the pattern set by previous Star Wars films and come out in December that year. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the first one and I like James Wan.

Thourne

Hero
I had a look and there’s nothing scheduled between Aquaman 2 and Superman Legacy at this point.

I always thought that the first Aquaman wouldn’t have made a billion dollars if Solo had stuck with the pattern set by previous Star Wars films and come out in December that year. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the first one and I like James Wan.
There is the Creature Commando's streaming on Max if you are counting anything new DC, but yah no movies.

*I bring it up because it is part of Gods and Monsters. Not a separate thing.

Zardnaar

Legend
Aquaman opening weekend it's here. Tracking lower than the Marvels.

Review Embargo.

I liked the first one and I don't go ga ga over superhero films.

1.1 billion to whatever.

Mirtek

Hero

Aquaman 2 is their own fault. Why release a movie belonging to a cinematic universe that has already been cancelled?

I liked the first one and would have gone to see the second, but not knowing that it's a dead end.

With the universe cancelled/rebooted/whatever I can wait until I'll eventually catch it on streaming or even good old regular TV.

Aquaman 2 is their own fault. Why release a movie belonging to a cinematic universe that has already been cancelled?
Basically, from the perspective of the studio that made it, they have two options:

1) Release it in theatres and make as much money as they can from it, and all the people involved in the movie will thank them, even if it does poorly, because at least theoretically they can make residuals, use it in their CVs usefully, get exposure from it and so on.

2) Can it entirely and don't release it on TV either, and use it as a tax write-off. The trouble is, as I understand it, the more the movie cost, the less effective it is to write it off entirely, and also, you ensure absolutely everyone involved with the movie will freakin' hate the people who made that decision and be harder to work with in future.

It's possible they could have also tried just releasing it straight to paid streaming or something, but that is going to make them even less money than releasing to theatres.

So they went with the overall least-destructive option, which is to release it to cinemas. I think it's suffering more from incredibly terrible reviews than it being part of a "cancelled cinematic universe" - I don't think most movie-goers care about the latter. I do think they care about a 35% RT rating though.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, there are at least two cases of recent movies never released, and the number of people other than the accountants who seem to appreciate that decision is, shall we say, slim--and none of them are people who worked on them.

Remove ads