The Temple of Lauto

LadyLaw

First Post
Azryah breathes deeply, trying hard not to make it sound like a sigh, as the halfling speaks.

"My name is Azryah, Friend. I understand that things are quite tense here, so you must be feeling rushed; however, I'm afraid you really haven't given us much to go on here. Eager as I am to aid the gods, and their temples, I do like to go into a situation informed. I'm not entirely certain I know what a Zhadar-kai is, so I'm afraid that their potential involvement doesn't tell me much. If you could elaborate, it would be helpful.

Now, something was stolen, that's a whole other matter. Stealing from the gods is simply unconscionable."

Although her voice remains at the same volume during her whole speech, there is definite vehemence in that last statement. She takes a breath so as to continue in a more composed manner.

"Can you at least tell me if the item was stolen from inside the temple itself, or if it happened during some sort of outdoor procession before I make my decision? It is a very important distinction for me, although it may seem less so to you.

As for my talents, I have many (not the least of which is asking important questions), but the ones most likely to interest you are: I am very perceptive (noticed that little trick with the grate just so you know), and things that hurt me tend to hurt worse themselves."

With that she stops, but fixes her gaze intently on the halfling, truly hoping that he will answer her and not just brush her off, although given his attitude to this point, she realizes it seems unlikely. She also makes a mental note that he did not introduce himself.

[sblock=ooc]This is a first character. She does still need 1 approval.[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
Papolstaanas's eyes flick in the direction of the hatch but he makes no comment on their being observed; he continues to sit quietly during the wait.

As the halfling comes in and the others make their introductions, Papolstaanas realizes that he is thoroughly out of his league. What accomplishments has he to boast of? He can already see the pompous halfling laughing in his face. But he simply must get a job, or else what will Mother say?

"I-I am Papolstaanas," he begins falteringly. "A-a-and I wield a good, um, a good sword, I, I got a certificate for m-m-most improved footwork in class last, um, last year, and..." He trails off and looks uncertainly at Kaeysari.

[sblock=ooc]Second character here, kobold warden 1. Everything anyone needs to know about Papolstaanas's background is in the previous tavern thread.[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
"I am Kaeysari. I have been a soldier for half my life." the shifter says as if that should be sufficient explanation of her skills. "I agree with, um..." she fumbles a bit on the name "Azryah that stealing from a temple is unconscionable, but, like her, would like more details."

[sblock=ooc]Second character here. Defender[/sblock]

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx looks around, casting an occasional glance at the priests as they scurry by. His constant grin disappears for a moment as a young priest passes by. [sblock=perception 20] The young priest has a strange seal attached to his necklace. It appears to be a family coat of arms or a crest of some type.[/sblock]

Jynxx leaps behind the halfling, then realizing that the halfling was... well a halfling he somersaults behind Alissa. "Did he see me?" he whispers to her. When the priest passes he leaps to the door, peeking his head out.

Confident the man is gone, Jynxx turns to the group. "I am afraid I cannot be of service to you after all. I pray you good journey and safe returns." A wide smile crosses his face, "I have lived up to my nickname. Perhaps when you return, I shall tell you the story of Jynxx and how he learned the art of entropic hiding."

[sblock=ooc]

Jynxx doesn't need to try to bump Wynter out of a spot! That's silly since he likes the shaman lol. Sorry about having the messenger, I couldn't think of any other way to have him leave without some really complex explaination lol. Good luck to ya'll!! Have a blast![/sblock]

Last edited:

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Since we need people to leave and I was already uncertain if I wanted Az to be in this adventure, I'm going to bow out. I was hoping she'd get some info to help her decide, but it looks unlikely, and we only had 48 hours to do this via roleplay.[/sblock]

Azryah waits several minutes for answers when suddenly Jynxx gets very jumpy about something. She looks around, curious what could have caused such a reaction when he'd thusfar been so composed, but doesn't see anything in particular. Her interest is now more piqued in him than before, however, after the moment to ensure that something isn't about to attack them from behind she turns her attention back to the situation at hand.

"Well, it seems clear that I will get no answers here. I had hoped. Like our bardic friend, I feel it better if I leave. Loathe though I am to leave when one of the Gods is in need of aid, I cannot commit to going forward without enough information to know that I will be the right tool for the job. No sense in becoming a hindrance to the endeavor.

I wish you all well, and hope for your safe return. Perhaps we will see each other again some day, and you might be able to trade stories, as I may have thought of one by then."

She smiles to herself, having made a small joke based on their earlier conversation (at least in her mind). Then she turns on the spot, her cloak flaring our behind her and exits the way she came, heading back to the tavern.

Mezegis

First Post
Chaku sadly watches Jynxx and Azryah leave the temple. The hulking barbarian furrows his brow as he thinks. A few moments later a large sigh escapes him. Bending over the tiny High Priest, he looks him square in the eye. Nice people are leaving because of you, and I would much rather be bored and broke than work for a priest of Loudtoe simply because he says to. Retreaving his maul, he starts to leave the room, catching the eye of Alissa, he slightly bows to her. Good luck spirit-talker, may you always find food and warmth. That said, he continues out of the temple and off toward the tavern, trying his best not to get lost on the way.

[sblock=OOC]Sorry about dropping the party below 6, but I've said from the start I wanted to play with those who've been friendly toward Chaku.[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
Jynxx laughed, "What was the purpose of looking through the mesh before coming in here? To see if you had enough to fill your purpose? Well done! Very clever."

Jynxx bowed low, sweeping his hat off as he does so, "My name is Jynxx Shadowtongue. I am known by many as Lucky, for reasons that I feel are very justified. My specialties lie in the gifts of the tongue and music, while my bow manages to strike my foes dead. What is more important on a quest? The strong of arm or the strength to make that arm strike? My friends here are the strong arms, I am the will. Together many a foe will fall."

The halfling ignores the questions, and only scratches information onto his clipboard.

Stopping his pacing suddenly, Rocco turns and glares at the mesh.

As snobbish halfling shows himself, Rocco makes a show of stomping toward him and frowning, trying to make the halfling less sure of himself, stopping in front of him with his hands on the hips (near his axes)

OOC: would that be intimidate, but not in trying to scare him away, but to make one seem stronger in comparison? Or some sort of diplomacy (not my strong suit) :)

"I specialize in making things suffer for closing with me or my companions. I can protect my WILL" he adds caustically toward Jynxx. And being of people of the dead, I'm ready to lend my hands to your cause."

[sblock=OOC What I'd like to say]
And I hate seeing weak-of-arm cowardly priests cry for help and then play all important instead of telling what they need.

but i guess this would earn me ire of priest of Lauto and take me out of adventure which I don't want to do :)

Oh, and this is my second char (as if you don't know)
[/sblock]

Rocco's approach doesn't seem to faze the aid, he continues to look down his nose, which causes his neck to tilt back at an odd angle. Scratching on his clipboard without looking, the clerks penmanship continues to remain immaculate. Interesting... he says, as he finishes his notes on Rocco.

Cyr notices the watcher, but remains stationary. As halfling shows himself he listens to dwarfs antics, waiting for posturing to pass so they can get information they seek.

OOC: First character, waiting for approval (I mailed to judges twice, last time yesterday or the day before)

Alissa gave a slight wave to Jynxx, the only other person she really knew to some small extent as she arrived with the rest of the group. Listening and processing the accent of the Halfling, Alissa realized that her cryptic answers would only have taken her so far. She was have to describe her capabilities to some extent in order to make it far enough to reap these 'substantial rewards' that were promised of those undertaking the task. "I am Alissa. I have been chosen by the Spirits of the North as their worldly representation. As I command the Spirits, I am also at their command, and together we can cure ailments, or cause havok. The Spirits of the prime elements are raw and powerful, and as they watch over me, I am enabled to see through their eyes. Through their eyes I am able to complete the cycle, because then, as they watch over me, I am enabled to watch over others." she replies in a calm, smooth tone.

[sblock=OOC] Alissa is a first time character.[/sblock]

The speed of the snobby clerk's quill is astounding, he even manages to flip the page and continue in one smooth motion. While he writes he shakes his head, making a clucking noise each time Alissa says spirits.

His time for an introduction at hand, Chaku steps toward the halfling. Bending slightly, partially out of respect, partially because of the height difference, he bluntly states, I am Chaku, a howling warrior of the north. I don't really have any special skills, but I strike with the strength few can match, and if con..fident...iality is what you are seeking, I'm too oblivious to notice things I shouldn't, or smart enough to remember those I do.

That said, he steps back near the wall to allow the others a much easier path around his massive frame, proping his maul against the wall, but resting a hand on it so that should he get chosen for this endeavor, he will bring it with him without a thought.

[sblock=OOC]First time character here as well, also still waiting on approvals.[/sblock]

The halfing gives a long appraising look, up and down the frame of Chaku, while he continues to note.

Azryah breathes deeply, trying hard not to make it sound like a sigh, as the halfling speaks.

"My name is Azryah, Friend. I understand that things are quite tense here, so you must be feeling rushed; however, I'm afraid you really haven't given us much to go on here. Eager as I am to aid the gods, and their temples, I do like to go into a situation informed. I'm not entirely certain I know what a Zhadar-kai is, so I'm afraid that their potential involvement doesn't tell me much. If you could elaborate, it would be helpful.

Now, something was stolen, that's a whole other matter. Stealing from the gods is simply unconscionable."

Although her voice remains at the same volume during her whole speech, there is definite vehemence in that last statement. She takes a breath so as to continue in a more composed manner.

"Can you at least tell me if the item was stolen from inside the temple itself, or if it happened during some sort of outdoor procession before I make my decision? It is a very important distinction for me, although it may seem less so to you.

As for my talents, I have many (not the least of which is asking important questions), but the ones most likely to interest you are: I am very perceptive (noticed that little trick with the grate just so you know), and things that hurt me tend to hurt worse themselves."

With that she stops, but fixes her gaze intently on the halfling, truly hoping that he will answer her and not just brush her off, although given his attitude to this point, she realizes it seems unlikely. She also makes a mental note that he did not introduce himself.

[sblock=ooc]This is a first character. She does still need 1 approval.[/sblock]

Pointedly ignoring each question, the halfing only wrote when Asryah spoke of herself.

Papolstaanas's eyes flick in the direction of the hatch but he makes no comment on their being observed; he continues to sit quietly during the wait.

As the halfling comes in and the others make their introductions, Papolstaanas realizes that he is thoroughly out of his league. What accomplishments has he to boast of? He can already see the pompous halfling laughing in his face. But he simply must get a job, or else what will Mother say?

"I-I am Papolstaanas," he begins falteringly. "A-a-and I wield a good, um, a good sword, I, I got a certificate for m-m-most improved footwork in class last, um, last year, and..." He trails off and looks uncertainly at Kaeysari.

[sblock=ooc]Second character here, kobold warden 1. Everything anyone needs to know about Papolstaanas's background is in the previous tavern thread.[/sblock]

Rolling his eyes, the halfling flips the page, waiting on the next contractor.

"I am Kaeysari. I have been a soldier for half my life." the shifter says as if that should be sufficient explanation of her skills. "I agree with, um..." she fumbles a bit on the name "Azryah that stealing from a temple is unconscionable, but, like her, would like more details."

[sblock=ooc]Second character here. Defender[/sblock]

The simple note came with a nod, and the clerk began to look towards his next petition when,

Jynxx looks around, casting an occasional glance at the priests as they scurry by. His constant grin disappears for a moment as a young priest passes by. [sblock=perception 20] The young priest has a strange seal attached to his necklace. It appears to be a family coat of arms or a crest of some type.[/sblock]

Jynxx leaps behind the halfling, then realizing that the halfling was... well a halfling he somersaults behind Alissa. "Did he see me?" he whispers to her. When the priest passes he leaps to the door, peeking his head out.

Confident the man is gone, Jynxx turns to the group. "I am afraid I cannot be of service to you after all. I pray you good journey and safe returns." A wide smile crosses his face, "I have lived up to my nickname. Perhaps when you return, I shall tell you the story of Jynxx and how he learned the art of entropic hiding."

[sblock=ooc]

Jynxx doesn't need to try to bump Wynter out of a spot! That's silly since he likes the shaman lol. Sorry about having the messenger, I couldn't think of any other way to have him leave without some really complex explaination lol. Good luck to ya'll!! Have a blast![/sblock]

Sternly giving Jynxx a death stare, and frowning deeply, the halfling watched him leave. A moment passes, Congratulazionz everyone, you are all clozer to being hired. smiles the halfling, for the first time since he's made his appearance, crossing off the name on his first page.

[sblock=ooc]Since we need people to leave and I was already uncertain if I wanted Az to be in this adventure, I'm going to bow out. I was hoping she'd get some info to help her decide, but it looks unlikely, and we only had 48 hours to do this via roleplay.[/sblock]

Azryah waits several minutes for answers when suddenly Jynxx gets very jumpy about something. She looks around, curious what could have caused such a reaction when he'd thusfar been so composed, but doesn't see anything in particular. Her interest is now more piqued in him than before, however, after the moment to ensure that something isn't about to attack them from behind she turns her attention back to the situation at hand.

"Well, it seems clear that I will get no answers here. I had hoped. Like our bardic friend, I feel it better if I leave. Loathe though I am to leave when one of the Gods is in need of aid, I cannot commit to going forward without enough information to know that I will be the right tool for the job. No sense in becoming a hindrance to the endeavor.

I wish you all well, and hope for your safe return. Perhaps we will see each other again some day, and you might be able to trade stories, as I may have thought of one by then."

She smiles to herself, having made a small joke based on their earlier conversation (at least in her mind). Then she turns on the spot, her cloak flaring our behind her and exits the way she came, heading back to the tavern.

The sound of letters being struck, once again fills the room.

Chaku sadly watches Jynxx and Azryah leave the temple. The hulking barbarian furrows his brow as he thinks. A few moments later a large sigh escapes him. Bending over the tiny High Priest, he looks him square in the eye. Nice people are leaving because of you, and I would much rather be bored and broke than work for a priest of Loudtoe simply because he says to. Retreaving his maul, he starts to leave the room, catching the eye of Alissa, he slightly bows to her. Good luck spirit-talker, may you always find food and warmth. That said, he continues out of the temple and off toward the tavern, trying his best not to get lost on the way.

[sblock=OOC]Sorry about dropping the party below 6, but I've said from the start I wanted to play with those who've been friendly toward Chaku.[/sblock]

Letters are struck again, and the clerk puts his clip board to rest.
Vell that vas fortunate for the rezt of you. After giving your namez you may enter. The halfling steps out of the way of the office door.

[sblock=OOC]

Adventure thread up

()

[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
Kaeysari looks askance at the whole setup. "I mislike this. I do not wish to offend the lord of the dead, but I feel this is not for me." She stands up and heads for the door. "Papolstaanas, do you still wish to come with me?"

[sblock=ooc]Sorry to back out like this, but I'm just can't commit to this one without more information. I know the adventure thread has already started, but with shuffling everybody over to the temple thread rather than doing this in the tavern, I feel like the recruitment process is taking everyone who's not fast enough to back out.[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post

Papolstaanas begins to giggle inappropriately at Chaku's interpretation of the presiding god's name, his mirth only becoming more uncontrollable as his behavior starts to draw disapproving stares. "Loudtoe!" he guffaws suddenly.

Kaeysari looks askance at the whole setup. "I mislike this. I do not wish to offend the lord of the dead, but I feel this is not for me." She stands up and heads for the door. "Papolstaanas, do you still wish to come with me?"

"I--of course I do!" Papolstaanas says, managing to get himself under control. He follows her immediately. "Is something the matter?" he whispers when they are a little distance away.

[sblock=ooc]Apologies from me too if I'm screwing things up, but I was hoping for a little time to make a more informed choice... It does sound like this adventure is fairly flexible in terms of who can fill it anyway, as it was intended for a mix of character levels.[/sblock]

Remove ads