Forked Thread: Class Design: One Primary Attack Stat vs. Dual-Stat

evilbob

Explorer
Forked from: Class Design: One Primary Attack Stat

I completely agree with Jonathan Moyer's concerns voiced in the thread linked above: single-stat classes (fighter, warlord, wizard, rogue) seem to have an advantage over dual-stat classes (paladin, ranger, cleric, warlock). However, I would create a different set of "fixes" for the dual-stat classes in order to solve this problem; my "house rule" rule #1 is that it has to be so simple even I can remember it. :) Rule #2 is that if you want anyone else to use your rule, it can't involve a separate graph/sheet/table/etc. So instead of re-writing the rules for classes, I'd just implement a simple fix that is easy to remember across all 4 of the single-stat classes.

I'd change the paladin, cleric, and ranger to have all weapon-based powers work like the warlock's Eldritch Blast: they are all stat1 OR stat2 vs. X, doing stat1 OR stat2 damage. So a paladin's weapon-based powers would all be Str or Cha, a cleric's would be Str or Wis, and a ranger Str or Dex (for either melee or ranged weapons - why not shoot a bow with Str if you can swing a mace with Cha?). For the warlock, just extend the Eldritch Blast principle to all powers (Con or Cha).

That's it. It's simple and easy to remember, and it seems to fall nicely in line with all the rest of the powers and therefore should be balanced. Comments, suggestions?

All right.

First, I think you're guiding principles are Ace.

Second, the application, though, is going to be a little sketchy unless...

...you change the secondary attributes of all the powers so that they are the same across classes.

So:

Cleric: Primary Stat (Wisdom or Strength) Secondary (Charisma)

Ranger: Primary (Dexterity or Strength) Secondary (Wisdom)

Warlock: Primary (Constitution or Charisma) Secondary (Intelligence)

Paladin: Primary (Strength or Charisma) Secondary (Wisdom)

Third, Weapon using members of the Cleric class are going to end up a little screwed. The implement using clerics just got to use all of their powers, but they're still stuck with a limited set.

Fourth, Cha paladins might also be in trouble. They aren't doing any more damage on a basic attack, and Strength using Paladins just got access to most of their powers since they only have a few implement powers.

Maybe you can just write the Healing Hands feat power directly into the Paladin class? It make Charisma a little better choice and gives an incentive for all Paladins to have some Charisma even if it's only a tertiary stat.

evilbob

Explorer
Third, Weapon using members of the Cleric class are going to end up a little screwed. The implement using clerics just got to use all of their powers, but they're still stuck with a limited set.
I think I understand what you're saying here; powers use keywords and those classes also have to use either a weapon or an implement to use those powers (which makes them EVEN WEAKER, since you need a magic weapon AND a magic symbol if you want to do both). And you can't just change all powers to be weapon or implement, because that WOULD be a big boost in power, since you could use a weapon (with prof. bonus) to attack reflex, and things like that.

Ultimately, though, using Str through an implement shouldn't be that bad, because you're still using a single stat to attack without a prof. bonus against a lower defense. The only downside is keeping up with two magic items, but that's pretty much a problem no matter what with those classes.

Remove ads