REVIEW: TSR Mail Order Hobby Shop Catalog--Summer/Fall 1986 Edition. :)

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
Browsing through my old stuff and I came across it. Summer/Fall 1986 edition, so I was 16 yrs. old. Remember those? They cost one dollar (says so right on the cover), unless you placed an order, in which case you got the newest one for free. Not a single picture/graphic/drawing in the whole thing. All text, except for the cover, which has a b&w picture of a crazy dwarf with a whip, riding on a 2 wheeled cart full of books, being pulled by some dragon-like thing, heading away from a castle with a flag on top reading "TSR", passing a sign that said "TSR" which pointed back towards the castle. It was drawn by Easley.

The catalog was often how I knew what new stuff was out. The local bookstore didn't stock everything, not even close, and I couldn't always afford or even find the latest Dragon magazine. I was almost as excited to get the new catalog as I was to get whatever it was that I ordered.

It's really interesting to look back at a snapshot at everything available for a certain time period. It's sort of a snapshot of the hobby at a moment in time. Memory lane, and a few surprises!

Looking back at it, I didn't realize they used to have monster cards back then. Monster on one side, stats on the back.

Nor did I realize they had an "All My Children" soap opera game under the family games section.

I used to love those endless quest books. I barely restrained myself from cheating (ok, sometimes I didn't), and after I completed the quest, I would go back and do every single fork in the book to see if I beat it the best way they could be beaten. I think White Wolf published a line I really enjoyed, either that or the books were called the Lone Wolf series.

I also never thought about it then, but looking through it now I see that they sold all the products of their competitors. Tunnels and Trolls, Steve Jackson Games, etc. It really was a hobby shop in a book. At least half the book is a list of products of other gaming companies, most of which I never heard of, and I assume are no longer in business.

There are 6 order forms in the back with a Questionnaire as part of it. It's only 34 pages long, not counting the 6 pages of questionnaires, which have on the front the personal info and the questions, and on the back places to list what you are ordering.

And of course the back page has the everpresent RPGA membership form. :)

The questionnaire asks age, spending habits, how often you buy, is this your first purchase, how much do you spend, do we have enugh of each type of product, and a place for comments and suggestions. Simple and to the point.

Miniatures. Didn't buy them then, and still don't. But what would I do with a miniature of a Piscodaemon, Kampfult, Azer, Vilstrak, or Boobrie? I don't even remember those monsters. And those appear to be from the official AD&D miniature line. Must have been from the Brits---have name that sound Fiend Folio-ish. :) Still, at a buck each on average, not a bad deal, even for 1986.

They sold Dice Inkers, which I assume were what you used to color in the numbers on the dice that came with the boxed sets. Though I always used the white crayon that cme with the box for that. Even for the touch-ups we had to do once in a while.

I can't get over the prices. Most all the modules are 6 bucks, the hardcover books are 15. When I was making 15 bucks a week on the paper route though, that pretty much depleted my weekly cash reserves.

Then there are all of those systems I always told myself I would play someday, but never did. Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Dawn Patrol, Top Secret, Boot Hill, Conan, Gang Busters, Spi, all apparently put out by TSR.

I wonder if I can still pick up the first 2 Gord books for $3.95 each.

I am going to bring this to my next gaming session on Friday. :)

darjr

I crit!
I've got a couple of those. One that's like a magazine or a sears catalog, slick pages with pictures of the games and folks having a good time.

I can't throw them out. Only have the two anyway.

I do love them and go through them.

rgard

Adventurer
Hi, nostalgia city here!!!

I have one from the late 70s.

Most of the games listed are around $5 each (post paid!).

It has the Battle of the Five Armies game listed. I did order it and still have the game. I remember worrying that I may have lost some of the counters, but couldn't tell as there was no list of all the counters in the game.

I wrote TSR a letter asking for a list of the counters. Somebody there wrote down a list of the different counters and mailed it to me.

So my addendum to your review is that they had great customer service back then!

Thanks,
Rich

Festivus

First Post
My 3 year old spotted my boxed set of Boot Hill just today when I was cleaning out the closet and asked my about it. I told him we would play the "Cowboy game" in a few years when he could read and do math.

Great games of the past that were really affordable for the period. I think I bought boot hill for $15.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Great games of the past that were really affordable for the period. I think I bought boot hill for $15.

$15 in 1980 is equivalent to about $40 today (you can google inflation caluculators for a more detailed look). Given how much production values have improved, I think it's hard to say the value or affordability has changed all that much.

If anything, I'd say game affordability has stayed about the same, but value has really improved.

(This issue recently come up in another thread.)

Festivus

First Post
$15 in 1980 is equivalent to about $40 today (you can google inflation caluculators for a more detailed look). Given how much production values have improved, I think it's hard to say the value or affordability has changed all that much.

If anything, I'd say game affordability has stayed about the same, but value has really improved.

(This issue recently come up in another thread.)

Ah you are right, my income to expenses ratio was far different back then. I made more money and didn't have high expenses then. Far different now with mortgage and two youngling money suckers.

Chaldfont

First Post
Those monster cards rocked--a bunch of monsters my players had never seen, along with great color illustrations to show them.

Nothing freaks out a hard core D&D player like going up against a monster whose stats they don't know.

"What the hell's a thri-kreen!? Oh crap!"

Remove ads