[IC2] Pool of Radiance

Thanee

First Post
1348 DR, Day 15 of Mirtul (spring)

On the following day, the sight of a large forest in the north comes closer and closer. Surely the group will reach it before the night sets in.

On the afternoon, they are only a few miles away from it, when their eyes notice something strange.

At first, they realize, that the river comes out of the forest, which does look quite normal, even though it is still far away and hard to tell for sure.

On second glance, they notice a small lake a bit south of the forest edge, and in the center of the lake a baren island with a strange black pyramid on it. Some black liquid comes in a gashing fountain from its top. It's still quite a distance, so it isn't easy to make out, but it appears to be a rather large building.

Surely, this must be the source they were looking for.

Scotley

Hero
Eldwyn

"Most curious. Such a construction suggests that the poisoning is intentional. Let's take a closer look." Eldwyn keeps his sling at the ready as he rides closer.

Thanee

First Post
As they get closer, the adventurers can see, that the northern half of the small lake is, indeed, clear, while the southern part is foul and black.

The pyramid is huge, it must be about three hundred feet wide at the base, and maybe half as tall. No windows or doors can be seen.

Leif

Adventurer
Emagor Rilliance -- Fighter|Wizard and Peabody

"Well, the first part of the mystery is easy to solve -- the river is being poisoned by that blasted black pyramid! How much reward do we have coming for making that discovery? Any at all? No, I didn't think so. I suppose they will require that we make some good faith effort at learning the secrets of the pyramid and removing it's evil influence before they surrender the first copper piece! Still, it might not hurt to go back and at least TRY to get something with just that information. We might also be able to recruit 5 or 10 more doughty lads to assist our efforts, for considerably less compensation that a full share of the loot, too!"

renau1g

First Post
"But as we go and find those 'doughty lads' the river will become even more poisoned, affecting not only the citizens of New Phlan, but also the wildlife that uses this river for drinking" Storm says, moving forward with Eldwyn, his bow drawn.

Leif

Adventurer
Emagor Rilliance -- Fighter|Wizard and Peabody

Emagor shrugs at Storm's words, and follows along behind Eldwyn and Storm. "Stay alert, Peabody, we might be in for more fun soon," he whispers to the reptile on his shoulder.

Voadam

Legend
Kordunn shades his eyes and peers ahead at the pyramid "We will investigate it further and see if we can put a stop to it ourselves. Can you make out if there are any markings or symbols? I can not even make out any entrances on this side. It is an odd structure."

Thanee

First Post
Now that they have looked at the pyramid for a while, they still cannot make out any features. It appears completely smooth.

One thought does form eventually, however. The pyramid looks very much like the pendant they found on the neck of the giant frog near Sokol Keep.

Voadam

Legend
"Perhaps there are entrances on another side or a tunnel leading from an entrance on the short that goes under the river to underneath the pyramid. Hmm, it looks like the pendant from the poisonous giant toad that nearly ate me on the river shore near Sokol Keep. I feel better about our decision to solve this particular problem. Lets continue further up the shore a bit to see if we can spot an entrance on the rear of the pyramid.."

Scotley

Hero
Eldwyn remarks, "Yes, let us continue to explore the area, if we can't find an entrance then there is nothing for it but to climb the thing and see if we can figure a way to block it or shut it off. I want to know if some magic is at work here as well."

Remove ads