Today at the FLGS (or, Mouse Guard: I Have It)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So this afternoon, I decided to visit a larger gaming store on the other side of town from where I normally do my gaming/shopping. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just checking out the tables to see what everyone was playing, and checking the shelves to see what was new.

What was everyone playing? Warhammer FRPG mostly (3 tables out of 6), but also a good deal of M:TG (2 tables) and something I didn't recognize but involved tanks and airplanes. A handful of teenagers were waiting for a table; it looked like they were going to play 4E.

What was new? There were some new minis from Reaper that looked sweet, a new energy drink called "Mana Potion," and the usual smattering of stuff from Paizo and WotC...but nothing I particularly wanted or needed. Later, I happened to be standing next to the clerk as she was punching some new inventory into the computer and tagging it for sale. And among the boxes of cards and dice and minis, was Mouse Guard, the new RPG from Burning Wheel.

They had only one copy, so I assume it was some sort of test to see how popular it would be and how quickly it would sell. Or something like that. (I don't know a whole lot about running a retail game store.)

I had heard good things about Mouse Guard, since before Christmas. I had intended to pick it up as soon as it was released, but I got too wrapped up in the holidays, the bad weather, the new semester, and everything else. I forgot all about it until I saw it this afternoon. So I bought it.

I've been reading it ever since, and I really like what I am seeing...I can't wait to give it a try. It's going to be a pretty hard sell to my gaming group, though. They are pretty much "3E ONLY" and don't really care to try new things.

I'll do a more formal review once I've had a chance to read the book. Maybe next week sometime, if my work and school schedules allow it.

Anyway, I thought it was a good find.

Last edited:

Remove ads