How good is the Book of Eldritch Magic?

Kaelynna

First Post
I'm trying to decide whether or not the Book of Eldritch Magic would be a useful addition to have for my FR & Planescape like campaign?

How are the feats and prestige classes in this book? Can someone give me highlights on this supplement?

Thanks!

- Kae.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I find bits and pieces useful. The PrCs are a tad too weird for my tastes but could probably be used. The spells are very good. The feats are like feats are most, useful for certain characters. The magical items are great if you want some stuff to throw at your players they don't already know everything about. The cars suck. All in all worth it if you don't find the PHB enough already.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I think it's a great supplement. I don't much care for the PrC's either but the spells are good.

As for purchse, as a DM, I think you could get by with just the PDF.

If you are a player, you might want to spring for the hard copy.

Wulf

BryonD

Hero
I agree with the above.

The spells and feats make the book.
They alone are easily worth it.

The PClasses are cool and balanced, but really narrow.

Kaelynna

First Post
What spells and feats are the best in the book?

Wulf Ratbane said:
I think it's a great supplement. I don't much care for the PrC's either but the spells are good.

As for purchse, as a DM, I think you could get by with just the PDF.

If you are a player, you might want to spring for the hard copy.

Wulf

What spells and feats are the best in the book? Can someone give some brief highlights?

Thanks!

- Kae.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: What spells and feats are the best in the book?

Kaelynna Thelanthra said:

What spells and feats are the best in the book? Can someone give some brief highlights?

Thanks!

There is a new kind of feat called the 'Eldritch Feat'. They usually require a very high stat, but they affect spells without raising heir level the way Metamagic feats do.

The feat that I remember offhand (been awhile since I looked through it) is 'Lace Spell' which lets you alter the damage type a spell does. For example, you could lace your Fireball with positive energy.

There's a wide variety of spells, but again the ones that stand out in my memory are the 'Mark' spells. These spells have a certain effect on the recipient that lasts until the duration expires, *or* the recipient can choose to expend the spell's force all at once for a different effect. I think 'Mark of Fire' protects you from fire damage, and if you end it prematurely you can make a fire attack.

There's also some nifty magic items, like the Rods of Branding (usable 1/day, they put a magical brand on the subject with some effect - like the inability to use one's magic) and the Ring of Blue Conjures (surrounds summoned creatures with a blue aura that gives them combat bonuses)

J

Kaelynna

First Post
Re: Re: What spells and feats are the best in the book?

drnuncheon said:

There is a new kind of feat called the 'Eldritch Feat'. They usually require a very high stat, but they affect spells without raising heir level the way Metamagic feats do.

The feat that I remember offhand (been awhile since I looked through it) is 'Lace Spell' which lets you alter the damage type a spell does. For example, you could lace your Fireball with positive energy.

There's a wide variety of spells, but again the ones that stand out in my memory are the 'Mark' spells. These spells have a certain effect on the recipient that lasts until the duration expires, *or* the recipient can choose to expend the spell's force all at once for a different effect. I think 'Mark of Fire' protects you from fire damage, and if you end it prematurely you can make a fire attack.

There's also some nifty magic items, like the Rods of Branding (usable 1/day, they put a magical brand on the subject with some effect - like the inability to use one's magic) and the Ring of Blue Conjures (surrounds summoned creatures with a blue aura that gives them combat bonuses)

J

Crothian

First Post
The PrCl are more useful as NPCs then PCs, just because most PCs I know perfer more common type mages. THe spells and feats are very good. I'm very happy overall with this product.

Remove ads