Watchmen: the music

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Yes, Requiem for a Tower makes anything EPIC! No wonder it's used in so many trailers. Here's proof.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrZUfKk_mPc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrZUfKk_mPc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Firebeetle

Explorer
It happens constantly. There was even a case of a piece of music being taken from another movie and reorchestrated just for the trailer (oops, someone already pointed Clint out there, thank you). For a while, it seemed like every other trailer used the music from Aliens. Pay more attention my friend. The examples are everywhere.

Often, the musical score is still being worked on when the trailer is made, so they don't really have music to use yet is my understanding.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Pay more attention my friend. The examples are everywhere.

Hilariously, despite being a music junkie, the only one of those clips whose music I recognized* was Orff's O Fortuna, which technically doesn't meet the criteria I was asking about it was written in the 1930's, and not for a specific film.

Also amusing to me is that by checking out this thread and listening to the clips, I realized that you can get them all to play at once...

* I have seen all of the Alien and LoTR movies, but the music didn't make a huge impression on me- at least not enough for it to be recognizable to me. Oh well!

Often, the musical score is still being worked on when the trailer is made, so they don't really have music to use yet is my understanding.

The most famous example of this that I know of is Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. The music we think of as the movie's score was just a placeholder, and was sent to the composer Alex North to inspire him.

By the time Alex North delivered the score he was commissioned to write, Kubrick had decided that his temporary score with Also Sprach Zarathustra and The Blue Danube

Another unusual score comes from the movie Dead Man: Neil Young recorded it by improvising on his electric guitar (and other instruments) as he watched the newly edited film alone in a recording studio.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Just recently learned that the music for one of the excellent trailers for Watchmen was actually written by smashing pumpkins for the horrible "Batman and Robin" movie!

Remove ads