John Carter of Mars

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Along this theme, we're currently developing a tabletop RPG based on ERBs Martian series, and we're keen to stay true to the sources and capture the feel of the sword-and-planet genre in a cinematic-style game.

Many folks seemed disappointed by the film. Any thoughts on what could be done to avoid the same pitfalls as we produce this RPG?
Film to me was enjoyable, other than the villains. I think the biggest problem was with the way they marketed the movie.

delericho

Legend
Film to me was enjoyable, other than the villains. I think the biggest problem was with the way they marketed the movie.

That, and that it pretty much felt like Star Wars. The arena scene, in particular, seemed very familiar.

That's not the film's fault (since SW was itself inspired by John Carter, amongst other sources), but was an issue nonetheless.

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
The books were good.
I read them back in High School... a loonngg time ago.
Actually, I've read almost all of Burroughs stuff... excepting a few Tarzan books.

CreativeMage

First Post
While not based on the film, we're developing a new RPG set on ERBs Mars. Have a look at our Indiegogo campaign . The aim is to capture the pulp feel of the original stories, as well as incorporating the 'non-canon' material since ERB that has been published by way of (mainly) comics.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Many folks seemed disappointed by the film. Any thoughts on what could be done to avoid the same pitfalls as we produce this RPG?

I liked the film.

The basic pitfall was in marketing. The general public doesn't know the original, but the marketing failed to educate them. So, they left "...of Mars" off the movie title. They left the cool special effects and action sequences (which are central to the pulpiness) out of the trailers, and so on.

So, to avoid the movie's major pitfall, don't assume that the people who pick up your game have ever read the original.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The movie failed cause it failed to be a good movie, not because of bad marketing.

Unoriginal script, campy dialogues and bad acting are the cause here.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Unoriginal script, campy dialogues and bad acting are the cause here.

Given the classic nature of the source material, calling it an "unoriginal script" is kind of odd. It is kind of like saying a movie version of "Romeo and Juliet" isn't original. Of course it isn't original! The source material is a century old, and is a major part of the basis for the modern action and aventure genre. It isn't cliche, it is the thing upon which the cliches are based. Same goes for the dialog - it follows the style in the original source.

Which isn't to say you have to like it. But, it stands more as a critique of creating versions of old material for modern audiences in general, not of this particular film.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Being a classic doesn't mean it is original or good for that matter.

But I ment unoriginal in the way the film was made, the characters portrayed, etc. A guy gets dumped somewhere weird, dhis destined to become great, fights, seduces princes, etc, etc, yawn. Seen it a dozen times. Very uninspired,like painting by numbers.

It is kind of like saying a movie version of "Romeo and Juliet" isn't original. Of course it isn't original! The source material is a century old, and is a major part of the basis for the modern action and aventure genre.
Wait, what? "Romeo and Juliet" is a major part of the basis for the modern action and adventure genre? You're thinking of "Romeo and Ethel the Pirate's Daughter."

Grehnhewe

First Post
I am an ERB fan, and I did not like the movie that much first time I saw it. However, I sort of warmed up to it on the second viewing. There are some really cool scenes, and it reflects the environment and feeling of barsoom quite well in some ways.

i wouldn't worry about comparing problems with the movie to an RPG. They are two totally different things. Have you seen this resource?

http://www.erblist.com/index.shtml

Remove ads