John Carter of Mars

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, I just find it odd that one criticizes a movie made from a classic story for elements that are cliche...when it is one of the very stories that helped establish those elements in western pulp/Sci-Fi.

The plot may be "formulaic" but as one of the sources of the formula, I'm not going to criticize it on those grounds.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
So "Going Native" is better than "Trapped In Another World?" They're both tropes. They've both been done. See, for instance, Avatar.

It is more about making the 2013 film more its own thing that a carbon copy of something that is bad by today's standards/a sophistacated audience (me). Hard to grasp, I understand, but it was done before, like the first Iron Man film/Tony Stark character. They differ from the comics. Of course, the other films were crap, but they were not very inspired either.

Well, typically people typically like to watch movies where they can empathize with the protagonist. I'd suspect that most people aren't interested in a martian recreation of the exploits of Jeffrey Dahmer.
And they weren't interested with John Carter either. ;)

It's certainly a dogmatic viewpoint,
Nah, I just do not like reading the same things over and over again. But if it is your thing, go for it. There is nothing more satisfying than what is confortable.

I'll give it that. And if you never read anything, you'll never be challenged and risk being proven wrong.
So you assume I never read anything. Amusing.

So, good plan, of a sorts.
Like reading the same thing over and over again?

Crazy isn't one of the words I'd use. ;)
Yeah, Morrus shelters you guys a lot.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Actually, I just find it odd that one criticizes a movie made from a classic story for elements that are cliche...when it is one of the very stories that helped establish those elements in western pulp/Sci-Fi.

The plot may be "formulaic" but as one of the sources of the formula, I'm not going to criticize it on those grounds.
Why would I want to see formulaic and clichés when I can just access the original source? Especially if elements of it have been reused in other stuff I already saw/read? What I want is different take.

The Japanese understand that. Their remakes often differ from the original source.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why would I want to see formulaic and clichés when I can just access the original source? Especially if elements of it have been reused in other stuff I already saw/read? What I want is different take.

The Japanese understand that. Their remakes often differ from the original source.

First, not everyone has read John Carter of Mars, so it will be new to them. Hell, some probably won't be aware the movie was based on a book.

Second, not every altered retelling is a thing of beauty. Sometimes they are, but there are at least as many stories lessened by adaptation as improved- Scarlet Letter, First Knight, Earthsea, the Nicolas Cage version of The Wicker Man...the list goes on.

Third, simply put, some people DO want to see the original source material adapted for TV, stage or film, especially if done right. (Whether this movie was done right is an open question.)

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
I agree.
And they weren't interested with John Carter either. ;)
Point. And given the popularity of slasher horror films, I might well be wrong about the Dahmer thing. Not to my taste. Still, it's just switching cliches, not actually making something new.

Nah, I just do not like reading the same things over and over again. But if it is your thing, go for it. There is nothing more satisfying than what is confortable.
I don't wall myself off from reading anything just because of the genre.

So you assume I never read anything. Amusing.
I'm not assuming anything. You said "I do not read anything that has the fantasy or sci-fi label on it".

Like reading the same thing over and over again?
If that's someone's game, sure. Doesn't really float my boat. But it's a positive rationale, rather than a negative one.

Yeah, Morrus shelters you guys a lot.
You're in here with us. And just because I disagree with some of your thoughts doesn't mean I find you particularly crazy, insane, nuts, or out-there. Or even slightly.

Last edited:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
As mentioned earlier, the reason these story elements are tropes is because most of them followed the interpretations of writers like Edgar Rice Burroughs. This is the SOURCE of the troupe. (Or near enough as makes little odds)
You hate all the followers, imitators, and wannabe successors all you like. But this is where they came from. Hate it because you don't like the story, fine. Hate it because "it's been done already", and you make a fool (and worse) of yourself.

And really? You don't read anything that is sci fi or fantasy? (blink) what's this board about again?

Remove ads