Proposal - Forgotten Realms Player's Guide

garyh

First Post
I like the idea of the chinese element genasi, but the reflavorings don't seem to work very well. Honestly, it might just be cooler to keep all 5 from the FRPG, and later come up with original material for Metalsoul and Woodsoul manifestations.

This... this idea I like! :) So far we've focused in L4W on adding WotC material, but it's absolutely allowed and encouraged that L4W community members propose their own rules. I'd LOVE to see all five FRPG genasi types joined by additional homebrewed content.

I know LEW only allows homebrewed content, but just because L4W allows WotC content doesn't mean L4W is anti-homebrew.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Bladelings (from the Manual of the Planes) might make decent Metalsoul equivalents, although it does make them significantly different stat-wise from the other genasi.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I know LEW only allows homebrewed content, but just because L4W allows WotC content doesn't mean L4W is anti-homebrew.

I actually didn't realize that - I thought the focus on making sure everything was out for a while so that balance issues could be resolved meant that homebrew was problematic.

Hm, I thought maybe I'd propose the 3rd-party Martial Artist class (from the Advanced Player's Guide), to give the Kingdom of Jade some love, but I doubt anyone else even owns it...

garyh

First Post
I actually didn't realize that - I thought the focus on making sure everything was out for a while so that balance issues could be resolved meant that homebrew was problematic.

Hm, I thought maybe I'd propose the 3rd-party Martial Artist class (from the Advanced Player's Guide), to give the Kingdom of Jade some love, but I doubt anyone else even owns it...

I own it. :) I would be happy to entertain proposals for third party content (and like the APG!). The problem with that, unfortunately, is that it isn't as widely owned as WotC rules, and it isn't posted on the boards like homebrew content. But until we get a proposal, I can't say how much other folks would be in favor of approving any given 3PP material.

[sblock=From the Charter]Changing the rules: proposing new sources and mechanics

Any player may propose that the rules be changed, or that new source material be allowed. To do so, the player should create a new thread in the forum with a title beginning with "Proposal: ". In the proposal, they should explain what the proposed change to the rules is, and why they feel that the change is needed. The judges, after allowing time for refinement and discussion of the proposal, will vote by indicating YES or NO in a post in that thread. In order to pass, a proposal must receive at least three YES votes, and the YES votes must outnumber the NO votes by at least two. When that condition has been met for 48 hours, the proposal passes and becomes part of the official rules. If a proposal receives at least 3 NO votes, and NO votes outnumber YES votes by at least two for a period of 48 hours, the proposal fails and the matter is closed.

It is possible that a proposal will neither pass nor be officially closed. Example: A proposal may gain 4 yes votes and 3 no votes and attract no further votes. In such a circumstance, the proposal has not passed and does not become a rule barring a change in circumstances.

A proposal that fails may be proposed again, but not before three months have passed since it failed. Conversely, players may propose to repeal a passed proposal after at least one month has passed, but if that repeal proposal fails, it may not be reconsidered for three months.

A judge cannot vote in his or her own proposals.

Proposals to include new rules content may be made either for specific rules or articles (e.g. "I propose that the text of Magic Missile be amended thusly...", or "I propose that we adopt the rules in the article 'Pimp my Halfling' in Dragon #666"), or for entire sources ("I propose that the Adventurer's Vault be made an approved source"). No published sources will be considered until they have been available to the public for at least three months. This is to allow the D&D community at large an opportunity for discussion and playtesting. [/sblock]

I can see why you'd have the impression you had, since the Charter does go into further detail on published materal. It does have the "I propose that the tex of Magic Missle be amended thusly..." example, at least.

Our current regional bonus system is the only example of mechanical hombrew material that we have at the moment, but it does show we allow non-WotC material. In fact, those were explicitly homebrewed because there was thought many of the FR backgrounds were too powerful. :)

Dunamin

First Post
If the mechanics stay exactly the same, I see no problem with an earth-genasi being flavored as a metal-genasi. Let it be up to the player what element they’d like their character to have.

Of course, you could also come up with mechanically new genasi that have different powers and features. It would have to go through the usual proposal procedure, though; one which I think should be separate from this one.

Dunamin

First Post
I seem to recall reading a good deal of controversy about the Extra Manifestation feat. Anybody have some thoughts on this one?

Offhand, it does seem a little much getting access to whole sets of racial features and powers this way, but I'm not sure.
"Going underwater now? No problem!" *click*
"Need to reach that flying platform 40 ft in the air? No problem! *click*
etc.

I guess this scenario wouldn't concern me as much if it wasn't possible at level 1. Perhaps the feat needs to be Paragon Tier?

renau1g

First Post
You need to take a short rest to activate the feat...maybe make it a long rest? It's very situational...sometimes, it's excellent, othertimes it's useless.

Also, you get to pick only 1 of the manifestations, so with water, I don't think I'd choose it as it's too risky of never using it.

covaithe

Explorer
Is it just me, or is Darkspiral Aura vastly better than any of the other warlock pact boons? I mean, which would you rather have:
  • Teleport 3 squares as a free action, four times over the course of a fight. Could occasionally be useful, but usually wasted.
  • Gain your level in temp HP, four times over the course of a fight, but they don't stack. Could be useful at higher levels, but useless at low levels
  • Gain +4 to a single attack. Not terrible, but...
  • Do 4d6 as an immediate interrupt, with a chance to weaken. Yes please.

Am I crazy, or is one of these things not like the others?

Oni

First Post
It doesn't really appeal to me over the other pacts. If you use it right away, i.e. when it's only got one or two charges it doesn't do all that much, if you spend all fight chargin' your lasers then it'll be a crapshoot by the end if you'll actually get to even use it since you need to be attacked. I think the benefits from the other pacts spread throughout the typical fight better. I don't think it's out of line powerwise.

Atanatotatos

First Post
I agree with oni. It can be powerful but it requires more planning and kinda more luck too. And anyway the star pact's the best in my opinion anyway; that can become a huge bonus, especially with the improving feat. Also, one more thing: it has been cleared that poison damage, that dark warlocks deal a lot of, is the most resisted damage type in average in the MM. That has some balancing weight too.

Remove ads