Proposal - Forgotten Realms Player's Guide

Oni

First Post
You might want to specifically disallow (or at least address) the backgrounds.

1. they don't have any tie-in to the transitive isles
2. some of them might be a little too good. (thay and the dalelands comes to mind)

Some of them might be good as templates for regions that are introduced in the future but it might be better to accept them as you include the new regions.

------------------------------------------------------

As for the question of Realms specific fluff in general as to relating to new PP's and feats and the like and long as all agree that the mechanics are sound rather than trying to fit it to specific Transitive Isles fluff leave that to the player with the caveat that this is not the Realms. This will eventually settle into their own place as the setting fills out. The only thing that might deserve special attention might be the Spellscarred which seems wide ranging enough of an idea to have some special niche carved out for it ahead of time, even if it's something as simple as saying it's a natural talent or the like.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
On the FR regional bonuses: I also think it would be a good idea to omit those, as we have our own regions. They might be good templates to use for new regions, if we need them, but I think that would be better proposed as needed.

On the Dark Pact: perhaps we could rule that a dark pact warlock requires some sort of an arcane contract (signed in blood? hehe) to allow him to use his allies as fuel. Basically the contract ties the warlock and the signer. Perhaps the 'signed' contract has to remain on the person of the signer, giving the signer an out if needed - destroy the contract. Basically just an elaborate fluff way of ensuring that the people the 'lock damages are really willing.

In general: I need to get my hands on the FRPG so I can actually read up on these things, haha.

Dunamin

First Post
Let me just dust off the thread… Ah, here we go.

That discussion was about regional benefits and how they should be handled in L4W. As I recall (correct me if I’m wrong) the general consensus was that they should provide a very minor mechanical advantage that’s always on and a more significant advantage that’s very circumstantial.

The reason why they weren’t made as potent as Forgotten Realms versions is that we don’t want them to be a PC requirement. We don’t want to discourage players from contributing with new regions to L4W in their PC backgrounds, we don’t want players to compromise a well-written background because the mechanics doesn’t benefit their “build”, and players should feel free to have their PCs come from less defined regions in L4W without feeling punished for their choice.

My own PC has background in both Daunton and Bacarte but hasn’t picked a Regional benefit yet, mostly because I can’t make up my mind which place is more significant for his identity and because I’m not too fond of non-core additional advantages in the first place. Thus, I’m happy that L4W allows me to not choose without feeling it has a significant impact on how Woe matches up to other PCs.

So, I agree with the rest of you that FR Regional Benefits should be omitted (just thought I’d reiterate the reasons and perspectives).

covaithe

Explorer
I read over the Genasi, Drow, and swordmage a while ago and don't remember finding any problems. I started reading the Dark Pact and don't think I finished it before AV was proposed and took over my reading time.

Regarding Dark Pact.... More later when I can type coherently.

Don Incognito

First Post
As I recall, genasi in L4W use the traditional Chinese elements rather than western ones; Earth, Fire, Wood, Metal, and Water rather than Earth, Fire, Air, Lightning, and Water. I like this, and would like to keep it.

Therefor I propose that we rename Stormsoul and Windsoul to Metalsoul and Woodsoul (respectively). Also, change the names of the powers Promise of Storm and Windwalker to Magnetic Pulse and Leaf On The Wind (respectively).

Metalsoul genasi would have silvery skin, pure white energy lines, and jagged shards of metal coming from their head.

Woodsoul genasi would have greenish skin, yellow energy lines, and various vines and grasses growing from their head.

garyh

First Post
As I recall, genasi in L4W use the traditional Chinese elements rather than western ones; Earth, Fire, Wood, Metal, and Water rather than Earth, Fire, Air, Lightning, and Water. I like this, and would like to keep it.

Therefor I propose that we rename Stormsoul and Windsoul to Metalsoul and Woodsoul (respectively). Also, change the names of the powers Promise of Storm and Windwalker to Magnetic Pulse and Leaf On The Wind (respectively).

Metalsoul genasi would have silvery skin, pure white energy lines, and jagged shards of metal coming from their head.

Woodsoul genasi would have greenish skin, yellow energy lines, and various vines and grasses growing from their head.

I like the fluff change as well. However, I'm against changing the names of things. It leads to confusion later. So I'd suggest that the rule names be kept as is, but the flavor be as you outlined if the player wants to go that way.

Atanatotatos

First Post
I second garyh's advice, but what does wood have to do with the ability to fly or such anyway? Furthermore I think in the chinese "circle" of elements lightning is associated to wood, not metal (maybe because it was observed that lightnings tend to strike trees). I might be remembering wrong though.

garyh

First Post
Another thing, on the elemental idea. Just because the Isle of Jade has Asian ideas incorporated doesn't mean everything from there has to be Asian-flavored. We can mix our inspirations all we want. Just look at Seven Rabbit for the fun to be found in that. :)

hafrogman

Adventurer
I like the idea of the chinese element genasi, but the reflavorings don't seem to work very well. Honestly, it might just be cooler to keep all 5 from the FRPG, and later come up with original material for Metalsoul and Woodsoul manifestations.

Remove ads