Ongoing damage and auras: do they stack?

the Jester

Legend
If I'm fighting a monster with an aura that reads:

Heat (fire) aura 2; any creature that enters or starts its turn in the aura suffers 10 points of fire damage.

...and I am also suffering ongoing 10 fire damage... do I take 10 at the start of my turn, or 20? Two instances of ongoing fire overlap, they don't stack. What about auras and ongoing damage?

Kordeth

First Post
Auras aren't ongoing damage (at least, they aren't unless the aura says "at the start of its turn, any creature within the aura takes ongoing 10 fire damage" or the like), so they stack. You take 20 fire damage.

MarkB

Legend
If I'm fighting a monster with an aura that reads:

...and I am also suffering ongoing 10 fire damage... do I take 10 at the start of my turn, or 20? Two instances of ongoing fire overlap, they don't stack. What about auras and ongoing damage?

Actually you take 10 fire damage, then another 10 fire damage. That distinction can be very important if you happen to have Resistance to fire damage.

jorrit

First Post
Actually you take 10 fire damage, then another 10 fire damage. That distinction can be very important if you happen to have Resistance to fire damage.

Hmm, would that make a difference? If you have 5 resistance to fire would you then get only 10(-5) + 10(-5) = 10 total fire damage or 10+10 (-5) = 15 fire damage?

Seems to me you should get 15 fire damage.

Greetings,

Hmm, would that make a difference? If you have 5 resistance to fire would you then get only 10(-5) + 10(-5) = 10 total fire damage or 10+10 (-5) = 15 fire damage?

Seems to me you should get 15 fire damage.

Greetings,

There are two different sources, resistances apply against each source individually not against all sources added together.

Therefore, it is:
Aura 10 - Res 5 = 5 dmg and
Ongoing 10 - Res 5 = 5 dmg,
which leads to 10 dmg total at the start of the turn.

Fede

First Post
As MarkB pointed out, there are 2 different sources of damage: the aura, and the ongoing. So your resistance counts separately for each source: if you have resistance against fire X, you take (10-X) + (10-X) = 20-2X, instead of (20-X).

EDIT: ninja'd by Black knight Irios!

jorrit

First Post
There are two different sources, resistances apply against each source individually not against all sources added together.

Therefore, it is:
Aura 10 - Res 5 = 5 dmg and
Ongoing 10 - Res 5 = 5 dmg,
which leads to 10 dmg total at the start of the turn.

Where is this explained in the PHB?

Greetings,

Remove ads