A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

spyscribe

First Post
Just to give you (the readers) some background -- Characters and players alike sat at the table listening to the Sovereign Creation myth furrowing our brows and shaking our heads at how awesomely, strangely different it is from the Halmae theology we've come to know and love. (All except Nyoko, of course, since this creation myth is second nature to her).

Hee hee!

One of the fun things about playing the only Sovereign at the table is trying to sit there with a straight face after Fajitas has dropped just such a bomb on the party and saying something to the effect of, "Of course that is how things are. Why do you find it so strange?"

I've heard them talking about how things are where they come from. It's way weirder and more complex than life in the Sovereignty. ;)

ellinor

Explorer
Sidebar: The Affirmation

Again, from the pen of Fajitas (as conduit for Lord High Regent Rikitaru Nori): This is what Twiggy and Mena read.

The Decree Affirming the Divine Nature of the Saints and Allowing their Just and Legal Worship

Acknowledging that Kettenek’s Sovereignty has long been rent by religious unrest both within and without; and acknowledging that the divine blood of the Saints is the same as that which flowed in the veins of Rikitaru himself, His Holiness, the Lord High Regent Rikitaru Nori as Kettenek’s Right Hand on the earth decrees that the Saints shall be properly recognized as the right and true Siblings of Rikitaru and Holy Children of Kettenek; and that, in their holy nature, they are deserving of the worship that has long been forbidden. Although they turned in time from Kettenek’s Virtues, let it hereby be Affirmed that Saints were once Exemplars of those Virtues; and that as a grown child chooses to remember their parents at their prime and not in their dotage, we too shall remember them in their divine nature as Kettenek made them, and not as they were in their Wickedness.

::Signed and Sealed::

ellinor

Explorer
12x05

Savina rolled her neck softly as she walked into the great hall. As talented as she was at healing, she had never been able to figure out how to give herself a massage. Now—after not only a massage, but also a bath, a new set of clothes, and some time with a very talented hairstylist—she felt human in a way she hadn’t felt in weeks. Longer, perhaps.

Like nearly everything in the Adepts’ compound, the hall was magnificent. They sat on embroidered cushions in places of honor at Lord Masa’s table. Although similar in kind, the food was much more refined than what they had eaten at the way-stations, and Savina’s estimation of Sovereign cuisine rose considerably. Before and after dinner, they were treated to performances of music, poetry, and dance. There was a toast to the “honored heathens.”

Throughout dinner, Lord Masa was politely inquisitive, asking questions about the party’s background, their experience in the Ketkath, and their conflict with the derro. “Nyoko-san tells me that you chose not to kill some of the derro that attacked you,” he commented.

Tavi responded politely. “We had just witnessed the destruction of a sacred Spring. We felt that the shedding of more blood would not have been appropriate.”

“Have you read Rikitaru’s decree?” Lord Masa asked.

“We are familiar with the Affirmation,” Tavi confirmed.

“It seems to me,” Lord Masa observed, “that by ending the cycle of violence, you have well-served the memory of the Sharpstone Monks. It is a choice that our Lord High Regent himself might have made.”

Savina hadn’t realized how tense she’d been throughout the conversation, but suddenly, she found it just a bit easier to breathe.

As the festivities wound down, Lord Masa turned to Savina. “Are you well-trained in the ways of Alirria?” he asked.

Savina felt her chest tighten again. “I am, Lord Masa-san.”

“You are one of her priestesses?”

“Yes,” Savina offered, “—although I am careful to observe the rules concerning proselytizing here in the Sovereignty.”

“Then—” Lord Masa leaned toward her “—there is a favor you might do for me.”

Her chest tightened a bit more . . . but the man seemed trustworthy. And he needed a favor regarding the ways of Alirria. This was her responsibility.

“I have a friend in need of an expert on Alirrian matters,” Lord Masa continued. “Will you meet with me in the morning to discuss it?”

Savina looked at the others. Everyone seemed nervous. Kormick was rolling his eyes in that endearing way. But Savina smiled.

“I would be happy to.”

Ilex

First Post
So... things are a little busy on our end. There are deadlines. Visitors. Traveling. People moving to town. People moving to new houses.

Obviously this story hour is still our #1 priority in life, but, strangely, other people (colleagues, contractors, students, infants) don't always see it that way. I know! What's wrong with them???

Posting may be a little erratic for the next few weeks, as it has been for the last few, BUT we're definitely still happily writing whenever we can. The plan will be to post 'em as we finish 'em, whenever that happens to be (for instance, one of them will be right now... just as soon as I post this message). Then, a bit later in the summer as things settle back into a routine, we'll settle back into the regular weekly updates we've been doing so far.

In the meantime, we're all watching jonrog and co's Leverage, right?

Ilex

First Post
13x01

Not long after the extravagant dinner had ended, bells across the city began to toll. It was midnight, Kettenek's time. Savina wearily accepted her cloak from Arden and followed the others out into the courtyard of the Adept House. In the darkness, warm winds of spring were gusting over Cauldron's rim, stirring the lake far below and spiraling back around to whisk at Savina's cloak, bearing a hint of sulfur. Adepts, apprentices, and servants filled the courtyard. The place was lovely in the starlight: pebbles and rocks twined in patterns through low shrubbery. A fountain trickled in one corner. Incense joined sulfur in the capricious breeze.

Savina suppressed a smile as the thought occurred to her that this was the most comfortable Kettenite shrine she'd ever seen.

Lord Masa sat near the front, but did not speak, leaving the service in the hands of younger Adepts. Savina listened to the chants in fascination: Kettenek, Lord of All, whose firm earth gives strength to all crops, whose strong stone contains the power of fire, whose mighty mountains shelter us from the fickle winds of all storms...

The theology was all wrong, but the music was beautiful.

Fifteen minutes later, she joined the rustling throng headed back inside. Arden took Savina's cloak, her shoes, turned down the bedclothes, and, when Savina was ready, blew out the candle and closed the door softly behind her. Savina fell asleep to the sound of the breeze tossing and fluttering leaves outside.

When the pre-dawn light woke her, she was nervous and groggy, all at once. The light grew brighter, but it seemed an unusually long time until the sun heaved itself over the city's rim and Savina could say the dawn prayers. This was a strange place, and even though she hadn't said prayers with another Alirrian since that morning in Lord's Edge, so long ago, she still felt especially alone and alien at this moment. Today I have to advise a Lord of the Sovereignty about Alirrian matters. And maybe I'm the only one in this city who can.

By the time that she, Arden, and Nyoko presented themselves at Lord Masa's audience chamber, she had Mena's over-breakfast advice ringing in her ears: "There is no need for deceit. Sedellus can do that all by herself. But be tactful. Don't proselytize. Stick with statements about your beliefs. Say 'I believe' and 'I feel.' And be confident. You trained for this."

A servant bowed them into the room. Arden waited by the door as Savina and Nyoko stepped forward. Nyoko bowed low before the head of her order and he returned the gesture, smiling with genuine affection. Savina did her best to follow Nyoko's lead, and received a bow in return.

Lord Masa gestured toward two cushions awaiting them before his low desk.

"Honored Adept and Honored … Honored Daughter?" he said, both invitation and graceful question.

"Blessed Daughter," Savina corrected him, as she and Nyoko knelt on their cushions, Nyoko with far more delicate grace that Savina. Lord Masa sat down opposite them with the neatness of a cat.

"Yes, of course," he smiled. "Blessed Daughter. A priestess of Alirria."

"A – a young one," said Savina, in a shy disclaimer. Then she remembered Mena's words. Be confident. "But yes, a priestess of Alirria. What may I do for you?"

"An issue has come to my attention that requires knowledge of Alirrian ways," he said, revealing no more than he had last night. Then he smiled and spoke less formally. "Rather, a relation of mine has been pestering me, claiming his liege lord is perpetrating an Alirrian heresy. It's a matter for the Inquisitors, not us Adepts, but they have already investigated and found nothing amiss. Yet my cousin persists. He insists that the initial Inquisition was … less than perfect."

"What does your cousin find troubling?" Savina asked.

"Let me be clear, he is no fan of saint worship," Lord Masa said. "His liege lord, by contrast, converted to Alirrian worship some years ago after marrying a secret Alirrian. Certainly one can imagine that this might bring about tensions in the district. My cousin is a minor noble, new to adulthood, and he is reticent to discuss the situation with anyone not directly involved. I've thus told you everything I know. But, if you would be so kind as to meet with Lord Ono Kenji, the Head of the Inquisition here in Cauldron, surely you can help him get to the bottom of the matter."

The Inquisition. For the second time that morning, Savina found herself thinking back to morning prayers that first day in Lord's Edge. This time, she remembered the snarling Inquisitors who'd broken up the gathering. She remembered how angry she'd been.

"I want to make sure I understand," said Savina, remembering to use "I" statements. "I wouldn't feel comfortable contributing to the inquisition of a fellow Alirrian."

"Certainly not," he said. "These are not the old days, and orthodox Alirrian worship is legal. I simply ask you to help determine if my cousin's lord's practices are, in your expert opinion, heretical."

Savina wondered if he knew that it seemed to be very much the old days in Lord's Edge. She said nothing, however, and bowed her head in consent. At the very least, she did want to know more. "I will do my best to assist you," she said.

"Excellent," said Lord Masa. "Do priestesses of your order charge a fee for such services? How may we repay you?"

Savina shook her head. "Your hospitality has been so delightful, Lord Masa. We should not speak of debt among friends."

Lord Masa smiled. "Then I will alert Ono-san to your coming. Nyoko, if you order a carriage for just past lunchtime, I venture to speculate that you and the Blessed Daughter will be a priority among his afternoon appointments."

With that, he bowed them out of the room.

###

Twiggy was back in the library, surrounded by the smell of vellum, the sound of shuffling pages, and Acorn's radiating affection for the orderliness of the shelving system. Despite that, she was frustrated. As before, Mena had come with her to the library, and this time, they had met with an Adept Loremaster, Lady Tomako, a reserved woman with thin gray hair bound back and tattoos covering her face. At the moment, she was staring at them skeptically. Mena was staring back like the Defier she was. This stalemate had been going on all morning.

The problem had begun, Twiggy realized, even before they arrived at the library. Over breakfast, the group had debated whether to tell the Adept Loremasters about the prophecy. As usual, Mena, Kormick, and Arden favored caution and secrecy – even Arden spoke up to say as much. Twiggy understood their trepidation, but favored the opposite: since they had access to the riches of the Adept Loremasters' knowledge, why not enlist the Loremasters’ aid—share what they knew, and seize the chance to learn all they could? She'd been overruled.

Now—after spending hours asking Lady Tomako vague, roundabout questions and getting nowhere—Twiggy felt vindicated. Lady Tomako knows we're not telling her everything, Twiggy thought. It’s no wonder she’s annoyed. If we don’t tell her anything, she won’t tell us anything. It wasn’t just the practicality, either: keeping the Loremaster in the dark felt wrong, like convicting someone without proof. Twiggy shot Mena a glance. The Defier clearly knew they weren’t getting anywhere with this approach—but was prepared to keep Rose's secret forever nonetheless.

"Perhaps," Mena tried again, "you might bring us any texts about sieges in which walls were battered down?"

"That," answered Tomako-san skeptically, "is virtually all sieges. If you could give me any additional details –"

"I thank you for the trouble you're taking, Tomako-san," interrupted Mena, blandly but defiantly. At least she's being polite, Twiggy thought, but we can't keep going on like this.

"I will begin with siege warfare during the era of the first five Rikitarus," sighed Tomako-san, and turned away to fetch the books. As soon as she was out of earshot, Twiggy turned to Mena.

"We have to trust her," she whispered.

Mena shook her head. "The Twilight Lurker has many masks," she said.

"You think she would disguise herself as a librarian?" Twiggy demanded, sounding glibber than she had intended.

"It's too dangerous … "

"Mena, with respect, you can't figure out why the world works the way it does until you've done the very best research you can. You taught me that. And we aren't doing the best research we can."

Mena sighed. "I know," she admitted. "But what choice do we have?"

"Trust them!" Twiggy erupted, her voice rising. Mena opened her mouth to object again. "Please," Twiggy said, forestalling her. "You have always said that Sedellus sows mistrust. Maybe by failing to trust, we are falling into her trap."

Lady Tomako was back, pushing a pile of manuscript books on a trolley. Mena looked at Twiggy. Twiggy looked back, silently willing her to agree, to take the risk of trusting.

Last edited:

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
So, I've been fairly curious since first reading the other story, how do devils and demons fit into the scheme of the divine Fajitas?
Sorry for the response delay. Things are a mite busy over Fajitas-way at the moment...

The short answer is that demons and devils are really just nasty angels. All servants of the one of the gods are considered angels. But, like human worshippers of the gods, there's a lot of variation in what any given individual servant is like.

In formal Halmae terms, the creature that required the Sacrifices from the old party in the last campaign was an angel of Sedellus. However, it did force them to make deals and then screw them based on the letter, rather than the spirit, or what they said... which is fairly devil-ish thing to do (or demon-ish thing to do; I never remember which is which).

So, as with so many other things, they're just reskinned and regurgitated as something that better fits in with my gameworld.

Ilex

First Post
Sdcc

Urf, so new updates are taking a little longer to pull together than we'd hoped, but there are several in the pipeline, so soon... soon...

In the meantime, upstanding professional geeks that they are, Fajitas, spyscribe, and ellinor are all in San Diego at Comic-Con at this very moment. Send them a private message if you want to seek them out! Fajitas will be hangin' with the rest of the Dead Space 2 team, spyscribe will be at Eureka events, and ellinor can be found at the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund booth.

Ilex

First Post
13x02

"These are the earliest Chronicles of War," Lady Tomako said, and held out two pairs of white gloves. "You may not touch them directly. The oils from your skin would deteriorate the ancient –"

Mena nodded at Twiggy, just once, but that faint sign of agreement with Twiggy's pleas was enough. Twiggy turned to the Loremaster.

"Lady Tomako-san, maybe it would help if we told you a little more." She felt the weight of what she was about to say. "We're researching a prophecy."

Lady Tomako frowned. "In that case… you shouldn’t be researching historical events. You should be researching… allusion. Metaphor. Allegory. Words that may not mean what they appear to mean. That is not my field – I have wasted your time. If only I had known more."

"It is my fault," said Mena. "I do not trust easily."

The Loremaster didn't acknowledge Mena's apology. "I will see if one of our experts in religious literature can be troubled to assist you," she said, and strode away. Just before she disappeared down an aisle of shelves, Twiggy heard her mutter, "Heathens."

"If we're doing this," said Mena, "we'll withhold the prophecy's first verse – the one that sounds Sedellan – and we'll be vague about how we came into possession of it. Above all, we will not discuss Rose. All right?"

Twiggy nodded. Those were reasonable restrictions. She picked up a sheet of paper and wrote out the latter three verses. Now that she'd persuaded Mena to relent, she hoped she'd done the right thing. What if this new Loremaster was angry with them on Lady Tomako's behalf? Plus, the prophecy was more than a bit suspect from a Kettenite perspective, with its talk of ruined walls and breaking stones. What if it offended the Sovereigns? What if revealing it put Rose in more danger?

Then the expert in religious texts appeared, and instantly Twiggy knew everything would be all right. Ahiko-san was a tiny, white-haired man, wrinkled and stooped, with a beaming smile and spectacles like Twiggy’s. He introduced himself and then stood back, rubbing his hands in satisfaction, taking in the sight of them. "This is splendid!" He sat down. "My dear ladies, my dear heathen ladies," he said. "What a treat this is. You, Mena-san, you belong to that sect that stands in the way of trickery, yes? The … let me see now … the Defeaters of the Wind?"

"The Defiers, yes," answered Mena.

"Splendid, splendid," he said. "And – why, I hardly dare to believe it – I'm told you have a prophecy to examine? A real prophecy?"

"Yes," said Twiggy, and handed him the verses with a smile.

He pushed his spectacles up and chuckled in delight. "Never had an actual fresh prophecy. My, my…!"

He read quickly, murmuring to himself.

Then, all at once, his face darkened. When he looked up, his smile was gone. He held out the paper.

"But my dear heathen ladies… We have a terrible problem here."

Twiggy felt hairs on the back of her neck rise and she stopped breathing. Oh, Gods, Mena was right. It's heretical. He has to arrest us.

Next to her, Mena's body had become taut, battle-ready. "What is the nature of the problem?" she asked, sparks of danger in her voice.

Ahiko-san looked downright tragical. He shook his head. Twiggy braced herself for the man to summon the Inquisition.

"Why, it's incomplete," he said. "You're missing a verse."

They stared at him.

"Do you see?" he continued. "Look here. Three verses, one with Kettenite imagery, one Alirrian, one Ehktian. Plainly, there ought to be a verse for the saint Sedellus, too."

How they ought to answer him was a serious problem, no doubt, but Twiggy was breathing again, nearly smiling in her relief.

"There – there was another verse … " she began, and caught the faintest frown from Mena. "But we – we didn't hear most of it. It was at the beginning – before we could write it down – so we missed some – "

"What a shame. Prophecies are tricky enough without gaps. But what you did hear – was it Sedellan? Wind, change, fortune, trickery? Defier-san, surely you would recognize such things?"

"It was Sedellan imagery," Mena said, smiling a bit herself in warm response to the man's friendly enthusiasm.

"Splendid. All four saints are accounted for – our confusion can be mitigated that much. If one must be ignorant, then it is best to know what one does not know. Now, let me see, let me see. Break the last stone…"

As the afternoon wore on, they worked their way through the prophecy. Ahiko-san was a great help, first confirming that the words did, indeed, seem metaphorical rather than historical, and then sifting through his wealth of knowledge to pull out possible relevant connections. He commented, for example, that imagery of a vessel in Sovereign texts often suggested a person, a mortal body, who might contain either a special destiny or simply a soul. A broken vessel, from his Kettenite perspective, suggested a weakened person, but he couldn't be sure that applied in this case. And so on.

When he came to the lines about the "agent," he brightened and tapped the paper. "Here," he said. "I recall a reference in a local priestly journal… let me see… sometime in the last generation, perhaps seventy-five years ago… a scaffold speech, just before an execution, was it? No, no, it wasn't a speech… yes. It was a heretic sentenced to die by exposure, babbling as she suffered. The Adepts recorded the words, of course, and I'm certain she used language about an agent of destruction. You'll need to check with the Inquisitors – the details are in their records."

Twiggy made a careful note of it, wondering how they would ever persuade the bullying Inquisitors to assist them.

In the end, Ahiko-san was so kind and helpful that Mena even asked him about a key word from the "forgotten" first verse: she asked if he knew of any kings in the Sovereignty. He shook his head. "The Lord High Regent is no king, though in our first days of contact with you heathens, our diplomats did occasionally call him such to avoid confusion. But Kettenek is king. The Lord High Regent is just that – a regent."

"How would we meet with him?" asked Twiggy, curious.

Ahiko-san looked shocked and then laughed. "Oh, my dear girl," he said. "Almost no one sees the Lord High Regent. Certainly not outsiders, and very few of us Sovereigns even have cause to visit his city of Divine Mark."

Mena frowned. "No one sees him? Then how do you know that he's – forgive me – that he's healthy? And uncompromised?"

Twiggy knew that Mena was thinking about the prophecy's reference to a "dying king." She glanced at Ahiko-san a little anxiously.

The man was unperturbed. "Almost no one sees the Lord High Regent," he reiterated. "Certainly enough people see him to support him and transmit his wishes to Kettenek's people. Any conspiracy whatsoever would involve an unthinkably difficult deception. Surely the same is true of your great rulers?"

Twiggy pictured the subtle political manipulations that complicated Pol Henna and the less-subtle machinations Kormick had described in Dar Und. At least we get to see the Doge from time to time, though, she thought. And Kormick has met Four Fathoms. Still, it was hard to maintain much skepticism in the face of Ahiko-san's serene confidence.

They wrapped up their conversation and thanked the Loremaster, promising to visit him again if they had any more questions.

As they walked down the hall away from the library, Mena frowned. "It seems like long odds that the Lord High Regent is our dying king," she said, "but I’d still like to see for myself."

"And I," said Twiggy, "am looking forward to seeing Nyoko-san's face when you ask her to help us get in to see the Lord High Regent."

When they did ask her, over lunch, Nyoko raised her eyebrows higher than Twiggy had thought possible.

###

Nyoko tucked a loose hair into her otherwise perfect bun. These heathens were audacious, she'd give them that. They'd barely spent a full day in Cauldron and already they were being asked to meet with the head of the Inquisition in Cauldron and asking to see the Lord High Regent himself. She suppressed a chuckle. The first was audacious, correct. The second was unthinkable.

Both were a . . . significant change from the group who, just scant weeks before, had seemed suspicious—even hostile—toward the Sovereign state. “Next stop, the Inquisition!” Twiggy had said, when Savina explained Lord Masa-san’s request for assistance with investigating a possible Alirrian heresy. This is an improvement, I suppose, thought Nyoko.

As the carriage whisked the group through the streets to the Inquisitors’ Hall, Nyoko enjoyed Savina’s delighted exclamations over the finery of the horses, the embroidery on the cushions, and the sheer pleasure of riding rather than walking. She cheerfully explained when Twiggy asked a few questions about her Adept regalia: Nyoko was wearing her full formal robes and makeup for the first time since returning to the city, in acknowledgement of the importance of this meeting. She had arranged for Savina's companions to attend, as well, at Octavian-san's request.

Shadow fell over the carriage windows: they'd arrived. The group fell silent as the coachman opened the carriage door and helped them out. Arden, who'd ridden outside, jumped down and glanced warily around the courtyard.

"Why am I not surprised?" muttered Kormick.

Nyoko could understand the heathens' sudden change of mood: the House of the Ring Of Inquisition into the Lord's True Faith was a forbidding stone fortress, marked by right angles and slit windows. There were no gardens, no trees. It was a building designed to be feared.

Nyoko saw Savina swallow as two Inquisitors approached. They wore gray robes and bore their traditional weapons: the katana and wakizashi. They bowed deeply to Nyoko. She bowed back. "The honored heathens, guests of the Adepts, here to meet with your esteemed leader," she said.

"This way," said one Inquisitor, and led them into the building. They passed down long stone hallways lit only by torches, past Inquisitors who noted their passing with impassive stares.

Finally they arrived at a heavy wooden door. Their guide knocked. Silence.

Twiggy opened her mouth as if to ask a question, and then closed it silently.

Their guide knocked again.

Remove ads