A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

ellinor

Explorer
21x03

WEEK 7 | MONDAY

After Dawn prayers, Savina returned to her bedroom, opened the screen, and watched the day turn from pink to blue as the sun began to bathe the crater city. Two months here, and she had become part of Cauldron’s high society; she would soon meet Lady Funaki Chinatsu, the head of the Peerage. Savina had already learned what she needed to know: that Lady Funaki was an excellent host, with strict etiquette, who placed a high value on social structure. She liked, as one of Savina’s new friends had put it, being a big fish.

Talking with Lady Funaki would be easy—but everything else here was so hard. Savina stared outside. To the East, across the sea, was Pol Henna. Two months here, and Pol Henna seemed so very far away: there, she had Father to deal with politics, a cohort of Givers to do the healing, and a butler to quash nasty rumors among the slaves.

As Savina crossed the courtyard for breakfast, she overheard Kormick’s voice beyond the screen of the common room. “Just stealing some gold, then?” he chuckled. “I had a bet with young Tavi that they’d ask you to kill Savina.”

“The week’s just beginning, Justicar,” Arden replied. “You haven’t lost yet.” She paused. “What they’ve asked already is bad enough. I told Shen that there was a big fight in the dungeons, and that all of you have had secret meetings with the Inquisition—but I don’t know how long I can keep on with nothing but vague information and revolutionary talk. I think we're running out of time. They said they have ‘plans’ in motion. The whole thing makes me sick inside.”

Savina thought it was the longest statement she’d ever heard Arden make. Moreover, despite the worry she was expressing, Arden sounded more confident than Savina had ever heard her sound – just one concerned adult talking to others.

“Whatever you can get from them is helpful,” came Mena’s voice, in a rare friendly tone.

Savina opened the screen. “Arden.”

“Blessed Daughter?” Arden's face, as she turned to Savina and dropped a curtsy, was all bland subservience.

“I . . . I just want to know that you’re all right,” Savina said. There was no easy way to say that she knew about the rumors Arden was spreading, and that it hurt, and that she trusted Arden all the same. This would have to do.

“Thank you, Blessed Daughter, I’m well.”

“Is . . . can I do anything to help?” Savina asked.

“I couldn’t drag you in any further,” replied Arden, “but I would ask a favor. The Tide asked me to steal some gold from a man, and I did. I’d like to repay him. I’m carrying your gold, Blessed Daughter; could I use some of it for this?”

Savina felt a wave of relief. “Yes, Arden, by all means.”

###

TUESDAY

Mena awoke and did a few push-ups to clear her head. Her talk with Brother Soburu had, she mused, confirmed what she suspected: that only ill could come of her enjoying herself with a bunch of Ehktians. And now that she’d met with the Ehktian Synod member, she didn’t have to spend any more time with Ehktians she liked. But the responsibility did fall to her to spend time with a group of Ehktians with whom she had less affinity, and therefore less potential for enjoyment – the Extinguishers of the Flame.

Intellectually, the mission of the Extinguishers of the Flame made sense: like the Defiers’ mandate that evil exists so it can be eradicated, the Snuffers (as they endearingly called themselves) held that challenge exists to be eliminated. What greater challenge could there be, they hypothesized, than the elimination of all challenge? It makes intellectual sense, sure, but not common sense. The Snuffers busied themselves by running spas, meditating, and acting as a volunteer fire brigade. Spas. About the least Ehktian things I can think of, Mena thought.

But that’s where she was headed. Savina had recounted what the socialites had said: in Cauldron, the Extinguishers of the Flame took care of some of the healing duties that would, on the Peninsula, be carried out by Givers. If they were going to find any underground Alirrians in Cauldron, the temple of the Snuffers was as good a place to look as any.

A heavyset man with a ponytail met Mena at the door to the temple. “Welcome,” he intoned, and led her to a room filled with soft cushions. A woman playing the harp in the corner looked up and smiled. Mena resisted the urge to growl. “You look . . . stressed,” the man said. “Can I interest you in our sauna, or a hot stone massage?”

“I tweaked my shoulder wrestling,” Mena replied, truthfully, and poked at the front of her shoulder with her fingers. “Is there someone here who can take a look at it?”

He led her back to an area that looked like a more traditional sports-healing clinic, with folks on benches receiving massage, compresses, and basic bandaging. As one of the Snuffers stretched Mena’s shoulder and applied a warming ointment, she observed the others. To anyone else, it wouldn’t have been obvious, but Savina told her what to look for: A couple of the Snuffers weren’t just wrapping up injuries; they were praying.

###

WEDNESDAY

Tavi came down to breakfast as Kormick and the others were finishing their own. “Kormick!” Tavi said, “Are you interested in joining me today? There’s nothing on the social calendar, so I thought I might try to intimidate a few of the known Tidesmen. Nothing major, just hang around their bars and such to make them nervous about the eye of the Inquisition.”

Kormick thought, once again, how Tavi had a spark of the Undian in him. “Can’t, Tavi—not today—but perhaps Dame Philomena would lend you some menacing, yet oddly alluring, assistance.”

Mena pursed her lips, but held back whatever biting retort she surely had prepared. “Kormick, what has you occupied today?”

“I’ve decided to do some research on the prophecy. I had a dream about my sister last night. It’s inspired me to go down to the Adepts’ library and see if there are any records there about the Alirrians in this region that might help us understand the symbols in the prophecy.”

“Tried. Nothing there,” Twiggy mumbled. She had her nose deep in a book about Go.

“Justicar, you have a sister?” asked Savina, her innocent eyes inquiring.

Kormick realized that, until now, Twiggy was the only one who had asked him about his family; she must have assumed his story was confidential and kept it to herself. The others had been waiting for him to volunteer. It seemed the time was ripe to explain.

“My sister, Elizabette, was six years older than me. You remind me of her, Savina; she was kind, and helpful, and wanted to be a priestess of Alirria. Right after King Lucas was established as the leader of Dar Und, a group of the old Bosses plotted to kill him at a meeting in my father’s bar, where Elizabette worked. She saw what they were doing . . . she saved the King’s life, but lost her own.”

Savina’s eyes were wide. “How old were you?”

“Eleven,” Kormick replied. “That was the day I learned I had magic. King Lucas sent me to the di Raprezzi’s Academy to learn to use it. Turned out, magic wasn’t my strong suit.”

“That must have been terrible for you,” Savina continued, her voice comforting.

“Oh, it was fine,” Kormick deliberately shifted the subject. “My father taught me to kill—but Signor di Raprezzi taught me to think. I returned to Dar Und an agent of the King.”

“No, the death of your sister. It must have been terrible,” Savina pressed.

“It was . . . unspeakably bad.” Kormick paused. “For a time I had an ill-conceived need for vengeance. But . . . I saw Elizabette’s face in the Spring, you know. She is still looking after me. Now I know that the justice of Kettenek and the mercy of Alirria will establish law in Dar Und. Vengeance is not for myself, it is for the Law. The murderers will not escape punishment.”

Everyone was quiet. Mena and Arden each looked deep in thought; Nyoko swallowed hard. Kormick knew that Nyoko, too, had witnessed the death of family members, and had not seen the killers brought to justice.

That was enough quiet. “So last night, I dreamt about my sister, and I knew I had to research the prophecy.”

Nyoko blinked hard. “If, as Twiggy-san says, the Adepts have no records touching on Alirrian symbology, you might want to check the archives of the Inquisition. See if there’s anything else on the ravings of that madwoman.”

Six hours later, Kormick’s hindquarters hurt from sitting on the archive’s benches. How does Twiggy manage to do this all day? he thought. But he had some information.

The madwoman was a member of the Sheh, which was a tribe of Old Ones. The Sheh tribe lived mostly deep in the Ketkath, west of Divine Mark. Apparently, the Sheh considered themselves guardians; the madwoman said something about ‘guarding you for generations’ . . . So the Sheh might have something to do with the ‘guarding tower’ in the prophecy.

But if the Sheh had anything to do with the prophecy, it wasn’t going to be easy finding out what. The Sovereigns had eradicated the Sheh—nearly erased them from history—decades ago.

###

THURSDAY

“Aha!” Iwai-sensai clapped sharply and uttered the first syllable of praise Nyoko had heard in three weeks of grueling practice. “You see?” He continued. “You listen to your body, and you hear the steps.”

Nyoko wasn’t sure what that meant. Much of the time she wasn’t sure what Iwai-sensei meant, but she had been listening to her body. For the first two weeks, her body offered mostly complaints. Now, it had something productive to contribute to the conversation. She could feel the energy move up through her arms to her fingers as they articulated the dance’s mannered flicks; she knew how hard she could push her ankles before they would collapse; she could sense the spring in her thighs, coiled, ready for dips and leaps. Finally, she thought, she knew more than just the steps of the dance; she knew how they were supposed to feel in her body as she did them.

Nyoko had also become accustomed to the side-eyed looks of rivals. Today it wasn’t just looks; Nyoko deftly dodged as Unsuku, the more seasoned dancer who’d first demonstrated the dance of Sedellus, tried to trip her in the locker room. The trip attempt was done with all the finesse and subtlety of an Adept, but it was unmistakeable—and if it was meant to discourage Nyoko, it didn’t work. Let her try, Nyoko thought. I’m the one dancing in the pageant.

###

FRIDAY

Twiggy stared at her dinner. She wasn’t hungry. The bits of dark meat arranged themselves in her bowl of rice like black stones surrounded by white. The meat had lost that match, she thought, as she sank her chin in her hands. She took a bite, turning the meat’s position on one edge of the bowl from dead to unsettled.

Twiggy closed her eyes. The last two months blended together. Go, sleep, eat, Go . . . and not much sleep, at that. She had played hundreds of matches; studied histories of the game and its trends; studied the writings of great strategists and tacticians; memorized countless move sequences and learned when not to use them; learned the language of the game. But in two days, Twiggy was expected not only to play well—something she felt she could do—but to play better than people who had been playing for a lifetime, to gain the attention of the head of the Ring of the Military, to impress her somehow . . . how naive I was, taking on this task. Twiggy had seen it as an opportunity to do something important, for once. A chance to experience the life she might have been born to, to be with the people she might have been with. To make a difference in the world from the top, rather than chipping away at it from the bottom.

Now—her mind was an empty 19x19 board, impossibly large, its permutations impossibly numerous. She rubbed her tired eyes. Spots appeared; black and white dots, whirling and swimming like the orbs in the Ketkath.

Twiggy leaned back in her chair, and watched the spots move. There was a rhythm to them, she realized. At the Academy, her teachers had taught her a form of hypnosis, allowing her to feel the energy patterns of magic and to align herself with it. One needed to feel the patterns of the energy to cast well; merely knowing placements and incantations was not enough. She pressed her hands against her eyes again, slowed her breathing, and felt it, the energy of the spots in her mind as they danced with each other in time to her heartbeat. Gradually, they aligned with each other, first in the patterns of known sequences, then in new patterns she did not know. They were alive in her mind; like the familiar energies of magic, the stones knew where to be even if she did not know where to place them.

At last, in some small way, Twiggy knew what it meant to feel the game. She could play a lifetime and still have more to learn—but as much as she could be, she was ready.

###

SATURDAY

Midnight. Rose heard the ringing of the bells, idly rolled over in her bed, and let her eyes flutter open. After seven weeks in Cauldron, Rose usually no longer took note of the Kettenite bells, no longer thought it strange that the whole city woke at midnight.

As she stared at the ceiling, Rose realized that this night’s bells signified something different. Something Ehktian, in its way. In the morning, it would be Ehkt Ascendant—Ehkt’s Judgment, by Sovereign reckoning.

Today, Rose thought, as she closed her eyes and dozed back to sleep, is going to be a day full of challenges.

ellinor

Explorer
22x01

Ehkt Ascendant

Wind whistled through the bell tower of the Priesthood, carrying the echoes of the bells at the close of midnight services on the eve of Ehkt’s Judgment. Below, through an aura of highly repressed excitement, activity bustled as arenas and viewing stands arose across the city of Cauldron. Through the night, the city transformed.

ROSE

Savina woke Rose before dawn. Rose had requested she do so, to allow Twiggy time to prepare herself for the Go tournament. And Savina was up anyway “You’re really competing in the Trials?” Savina asked, as Rose began to dress in the dark. “I’m proud of you—truly—but no one will think any less if you just watch. I won’t be competing,” Savina pointed out.

“I want to,” Rose smiled. “The endurance events are a historical hallmark of the Trials and, as Dame Mena would say, I have trained for it…” Rose quirked a deadpan eyebrow. “Few are as accustomed to waiting patiently as I am.”

“Good for you,” Savina replied.

After her prayers, Savina and Arden walked down toward the city’s center. There, Rose and about three dozen others were already posed above the sulfurous lake, each occupying a small platform. Their feet balanced on narrow ledges; their hands grasped handholds. Rose looked uncomfortable, but steady, her toes jammed firmly into the footholds, her arms softly balancing against the handholds, her knees slightly bent.

A small crowd stood by the lakeside, watching quietly. Tavi was among them, pressed against the railing, his face a combination of concern and pride.

Savina slid beside him. “She’s doing well,” Tavi whispered.

As the rest of the city was waking, men dressed in oilcloth waded into the water, climbed onto the platforms and pulled one foothold from each competitor’s wall. Several competitors lost their footing and dropped immediately. Rose, visibly gritting her teeth, maintained focus.

Savina wanted to cheer—but no one was cheering. In Pol Henna, Ehkt Ascendant was a boisterous affair; Savina had been warned that the Trials were more sedate than an ordinary sporting event, but she hadn’t imagined they would be so eerily silent.

“Stay strong, Rose!” she whispered. Tavi smiled.

By about 10 a.m., the field had narrowed considerably, but Rose remained. Savina was thrilled—not only that Rose was performing well, but also that Rose was competing at all. Ever since the group had left Pol Henna, Rose had refrained from decision-making, according to plan. But in turning over her life to the others so completely, Savina feared, Rose had stopped looking for her own joy. Savina knew the prophecy was serious, and knew that Rose was right to be concerned about her fate. But that shouldn’t stop her from having a little fun once in a while, Savina thought.

Soon thereafter, the men in oilcloth returned. Without ceremony, they pulled the second footrest from each platform. Rose held on for a few moments, hanging from her hands with arms bent . . . then she lowered herself to a straight-armed position . . . her wrists trembled . . . and then her fingers gave way. She dropped into the water and waded to shore, stopping to look back at the 15 competitors still remaining. Tavi and Savina rushed to her side. Tavi wrapped a cloak over her shoulders. “Well done,” Savina said.

“I suppose I’ve done more of that ‘waiting patiently’ while standing on my feet than hanging from my arms,” Rose smiled, squeezing water from her silvery hair.

###

MENA AND KORMICK

Mena donned her wrestling gear after breakfast. Wearing wrestling gear outside the hall of the Keepers felt a bit like going out in one’s underwear: the outfit consisted of a sturdy loincloth on the bottom and, for women, a tight wrap on the top. It was practical for wrestling—in this style of wrestling it was customary to grasp an opponent’s garb for leverage and stability, and these outfits allowed for freedom of movement while staying secure. Good for wrestling, she thought, as she threw a cloak over her shoulders for the walk to the venue, but a bit ridiculous.

Or so she thought until she arrived at the common room of the Inn of Comfortable Repose, where Kormick was waiting for her, similarly attired. He was all confidence as he leaned against the wall, one thumb hitched in the waistband of his loincloth. Maybe not so ridiculous, after all.

“I gather you’re wrestling in the Trials today?” she asked.

“Thought I’d give it a go,” Kormick responded with a smile, “if only just to watch you.”

The wrestling venue was a large outdoor enclosure near the walls of the city. Seven wrestling circles were each surrounded by viewing areas where spectators had already begun to gather. Dozens of wrestlers surrounded a stern official, who distributed a ranking sheet and explained the format: the tournament would proceed on a single-elimination basis. Matches would take place simultaneously until the field was winnowed to 8 competitors, at which point all matches would take place in the center ring. Competitors were free to watch each other’s matches, as long as they were ready and present for their own.

Mena looked at the ranking sheet. At the top, as expected, was Brother Ono Arato. Below him was a sea of names she did not recognize. She and Kormick were both in the lower half of the list. She had a match in the very first heat.

After the customary bows and formalities, Mena wasted no time in pushing her first opponent out of the ring. It was a good start, she thought. She strolled over to Kormick’s first match. He looked out of place, with his blond hair and his street-fighter stance. He barely knew the sequence of bows and nods that opened a match. But once it began, he held his own. Kormick pushed, his opponent pushed . . . and Kormick hooked his opponent’s arm, twisting it and spinning the young man to the floor just outside the circle.

Kormick was breathing heavily as he left the ring. “That is harder than it looks,” Kormick gulped.

As they waited for their next matches, they watched one of Brother Ono’s bouts. His moves were precise and efficient, and he brought down his opponent effortlessly. It was a relief: there could be little doubt that he would prevail in the tournament, and would therefore play the role of Rikitaru in the dance, giving Nyoko the opportunity to whisper in his ear. “Good to know we won’t have to fix the tournament,” Kormick said.

Mena’s second opponent was a woman whose slight build matched Mena’s. The match was harder than her first, but Mena had defeated more difficult opponents at the hall of the Keepers. When she’d won, she found Kormick again. He was already in the ring, bowing to a man nearly twice his size. In one fluid movement, the giant hulking mass of a man bowed, nodded, thrust his hip forward, THWAM straightarmed Kormick to the floor outside the circle, stepped back, bowed, and left the ring. The whole ordeal took five seconds.

Kormick lay stunned on the ground outside the ring. “All part of my cunning plan,” he gasped, “to get injured early, so I could go to the first aid tent and try to talk . . . to . . . secret . . . Alirrians.” Mena helped him to his feet and they staggered off toward the healers through the still-silent crowd.

###

At the Inn, Kormick changed back into his street clothes, stuffed his Inquisitorial robe into a bag, and hurried out. He was eager to alert Savina to the possible Alirrians among the healers at the wrestling venue—but even more than that, he suspected something odd was going on at the wrestling trials. He couldn’t put his finger on what was odd, exactly, but he had seen runners going coming and going from the venue, carrying what could only be betting slips . . .

At that moment, Savina, Arden, and a very wet Rose arrived at the Inn.

“Savina! Just the thing,” he said. “I have met some folks you might find interesting, at the wrestling trials. They patched me up. To be sure, I do not know much about Alirrian traditions, but some of them sounded very much like you sound. And you—Arden—I need you. Come with me.”

Arden shrugged a questioning look at Savina, who nodded, and Arden stepped back outside the door. “Whatever you need, Justicar.”

“We are on our way to the bookmakers’,” he grinned, and together they trotted through quiet alleys toward the temple of Sedellus.

###

It took a few moments for Arden’s eyes and ears to adjust: the Sedellan temple was dark and louder than any of the Trial venues, as announcers called odds on upcoming matches and people rushed to tables with their wagers. Arden heard Tavi’s name; according to the announcer, he had won an early match.

Just inside the door, Arden spotted the man whose purse she had cut the week before. Arden pulled out a pouch of gold pieces, pulled up her hood, stepped beside the man, and, with a deft stumble, fell into him. With apologies, she slid the pouch between the folds of his kimono and spun away into the crowd before he could even see her face. From a distance, she watched as the man’s hand flew to his chest and he drew out the pouch. He looked around, surprised eyes searching for his benefactor. He would not find her.

###

“Here’s what I need you to do,” Kormick told Arden as they reached a corner of the room. “Take this”—he handed her a few gold pieces—“and wager it on Tavi for his next arcane match. And while you’re up there, listen closely for the bets the others are making on the physical wrestling.”

The only way to figure out what was going on at the wrestling venue, Kormick knew, was to come to the only place he could see all the matches at once: the betting parlor. He approached one of the betting tables. “Five gold on Dame Philomena in the next physical wrestling match,” he offered to the young man.

“Oh, another Ehktian, are you?” the young man replied, with a knowing smile.

Gradually, Kormick got the gist of the room’s conversations: Brother Ono was heavily favored, and most bets were on him. A few Ehktians were betting on Dame Mena. Who else is betting against Brother Ono, and who do they want to win?

Arden returned from the other side of the room. “I’m hearing a handful of very large-sum bets for someone named ‘Kiyari’—at least I think that’s the name—”

Arden handed Kormick 30 gold pieces. A more-than-respectable return on an investigatory wager, Kormick thought.

But the point was the investigation, not the wager. Kiyari was the brute who had thrown Kormick to the ground so easily. He was a large man, and a strong one, but not as skilled a wrestler as Brother Ono. In a fair fight, Ono would win. A gambler might believe otherwise, Kormick supposed, but that did not resolve the nagging question in Kormick’s mind. Ten more minutes of eavesdropping revealed that Kiyari worked as an enforcer for the Eighths. Not exactly a popular man, then. Why would so many people bet on him? Did they have inside information? Were the Eighths fixing the tournament against Brother Ono? If they were, that spelled disaster for their plan to whisper to Brother Ono in the Pageant . . .

Kormick had a hunch, but he couldn’t confirm it. For that, he’d need to watch the action. He collected his winnings and signaled to Arden, and the two ran together back to the wrestling stadium.

###

Mena was having a crisis of faith.

She’d bested four opponents. Three were easy. The fourth required skill and tactics; when her opponent finally went down, the crowd had whooped and clapped. A mass of Ehktians chanted “Brother Spark! Brother Spark!” It was the loudest thing she’d heard all day.

It made her nervous. Not because Brother Soburu had warned her against being too conspicuous—although he had—but because it was fun. And Mena knew that fun was dangerous. Fun had a way of crowding out the guilt—the guilt that had made Mena pledge her life to fighting evil. For the last month, she had rationalized that wrestling was a part of that fight. But if it was fun, how could it be?

As the officials led her to the center ring for her next match, Mena’s mind was clouded with doubt. The other rings were closed now; all eyes were on her. The Ehktians in the crowd maintained their low, steady chant. “Spark. Spark. Spark. Spark.”

There, before her, stood Kiyari, seven feet tall and as wide as a house. He adjusted his loincloth. Mena tried to clear her mind.

They bowed and nodded. He moved in. Mena ducked under his arm and got purchase on his leg. He thrust his hip forward. She lost her footing, but recovered. She came at him again. It was like pushing on a wall. But she managed to hook his knee, destabilizing him. He adjusted his loincloth. All of a sudden, Mena slipped, fell backward, and landed on her rear. It wasn’t over yet; he hadn’t pinned her or pushed her out . . .

Mena struggled to recover. As she scrambled, her mind calmed and everything slowed.

She could see Kiyari looming over her, coming down, ready for the pin.

She could feel the ring, slippery beneath her. Something was wrong; she couldn’t grip the floor. Kiyari wiggled his hip. The floor became slicker—as if Kiyari was doing something to make it so…using something…something hidden in his loincloth…

She heard a commotion in the crowd. A man in Inquisitorial robes plowed forward, shoving people out of the way—it was Kormick. He raised a warhammer to point at Kiyari and boomed:

“PERFIDY!”

And Mena did what might have been the first truly lucid thing she’d done in a month. She reached up toward the descending figure above her, grasped both sides of his loincloth, and pulled it off.

Jenber

First Post
No no no. Nothing so crass! He was obviously using something inside his loincloth to make Mena more lubricated, and which made her want to rip off his clothing.

I'm betting it's a magic wand.

It was absolutely the most logical thing to do at the time. Do you have a way to expose a cheater that is more efficient than pulling off his underdrawers?

Rughat

Explorer
It was absolutely the most logical thing to do at the time. Do you have a way to expose a cheater that is more efficient than pulling off his underdrawers?

Oh, it makes total sense. And you probably saved his life! After all, once he was exposed (no pun intended) as a liar, those pants were going to burst into flames, right?

Last edited:

Remove ads