L4W Discussion Thread III

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Either way, I wouldn't mind a faster advancement. How has the increased XP been working out for LEB so far? I keep meaning to head over there and get involved, but there's this thing called time ...
Too soon to tell; we haven't been around long enough (the game I'm is only in its second combat).

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
One thing that I'm a little concerned about with upping time XP is that it becomes much harder for DMs to anticipate how much XP their adventure will give, and also to figure out treasure in advance (assuming they don't want to just give piles of time XP, which would also need to be increased the same as time XP or scrapped for something like LEB has).

Meh. I don't think it's that important to know in advance how much treasure you will give. Given the snail pace of these games, it is easy as pie to adjust on the fly.

Knowing that your encounter generate maybe 3x more xp than a table top one, you can be safe in handing out a few items here and there after every encounter. Just keep the best for last; after the last fight you see how much XP total was actually awarded and you pad out the treasure until you have awarded the correct amount of gp/xp.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I use 2x normal experience in my home game, and it works great. The world has a more high-magic feel since you hand out twice as many items for each set of encounters, but I'm fine with that. (The players are just hitting Leve 9 - I forgot to double the magic items for the first few levels, then noticed they were getting seriously behind and started keeping closer track of how many I gave out.)

The only complication I can see is that, in my home games it's easy to sit down whenever the players are about to gain a level and work out how many magic items they should have, and add some more to the next encounter if they're behind. In L4E, where a single DM doesn't control the characters for a whole level, it would be harder to keep track. We may need some way to top of characters who get behind the curve. (But we can always add that later if it turns out to be a problem.)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Items are something we discussed at length in LEB: You can see the result here and here; we also discuss how they interact with time-rewards here. Its essentially a parcel-based system where the PCs have to keep track of what they get when.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Being relatively new I can't speak to the current advancement rate.

I did however want to say that I agree that having characters start in Paragon seems like it might take some fun out of advancing.

KenHood

First Post
Hurmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I guess it would be okay to have a faster advancement rate. On one hand, it would be nice to increase in power more rapidly. On the other, does it take away the fun to have a character zip up levels so fast? Anyone with experience in it able to comment on that?

I'd wouldn't mind granting more experience if we did something like dialing up the difficulty on a computer game. Double or triple a PC's hit points so they can last longer in a fight, then throw in double or triple the amount of monsters. Fights become crazy, hairy things, but you get more XP.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
While amping up the difficulty might be an option for a face to face game, I think it would be hard to do without dragging out fights in PbP.

If enemies either have more hp or are more numerous, it takes more time (both in-game and real time) to kill them. Having double or triple the monsters doesn't help the advancement rate if it takes two or three times as many weeks to finish the fight ;)

If you increase PC damage to compensate ... you basically end up where you started. If you increase PC damage more than you increase the number/hp of the monsters, then you might as well just boost PC damage and leave monster number/hp alone.

To increase the XP gained from monsters without simply multiplying the XP they give at the bottom line is to make it faster for the PCs to kill them.

Dunamin

First Post
I wouldn't mind faster advancement rate, one way or another.

Doubling time xp awards seems offhand like a good option. I don't think it necessarily would create incentive to play at a slower pace - PBP is generally so slow, you always want it to go faster (at least right after you've posted yourself ;)).

Of course, I can’t deny being biased in light of only having reached level 2 after L4W’s anniversary. :p

Remove ads