Round Four: Back to the old school modules!

Which of the following modules are worth buying?

• B10 Night's Dark Terror

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • DQ1 The Shattered Statue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OP1 Tales of the Outer Planes

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • UK3 The Gauntlet

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • UK5 Eye of the Serpent

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • UK6 All That Glitters...

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • UK7 Dark Clouds Gather

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • WG6 Isle of the Ape

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • X6 Quagmire!

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Poll closed .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Forked from: Round Two: Another 10 old school modules I'm considering!

Round Four!

Same as my first two threads...

"What I'm looking for is to find out which of the 10 modules listed in the poll would be easiest to incorporate into a homebrewed world.

What are these modules' strengths and what are their weaknesses? How hard would they be to convert to v.3.5, based on your personal experiences?"

The ones I own: B4 The Lost City (worn out), B6 The Veiled Society, C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness, I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, I2 Tomb of the Lizard King, N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God, T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil, WG4 The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins, and X1 The Isle of Dread (two copies).

The modules from the first two threads that I'm seriously considering getting based on the advice I received: B1-9 In Search of Adventure (likely -- WK's price CAN $65... yikes!), G1-2-3 Against the Giants (not as likely), I3-5 Desert of Desolation, and X8 Drums on Fire Mountain.

Last edited:

armorclass10

First Post
Isle of the Ape is the only one I am completely familiar with to be honest. It's very high level though, I guess it could be placed in a campaign fairly easily. It is an island afterall. Think DnD meets King Kong, written by EGG. I have played some of the others you mentioned but am not as drawn to them or I don't recall them all that well. Isle of the Ape sticks cause it was fun and scary at least for me and my PC.

soulcatcher78

First Post
The first 3 UK modules (Sinister secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater (?), and the last one had Sahuagin in it as the final bosses to be defeated) were great but I can't say I remember the ones you have listed in the poll.

juboke

Explorer
The first 3 UK modules (Sinister secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater (?), and the last one had Sahuagin in it as the final bosses to be defeated) were great but I can't say I remember the ones you have listed in the poll.

U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
U2 Danger at Dunwater
U3 The Final Enemy

juboke

Explorer
UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave

Edit: Had to look up the next two.

UK2 The Sentinel
UK3 The Gauntlet

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Umm.... the UK and U modules are different ones.

U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
U2 Danger at Dunwater
U3 The Final Enemy
Right. :D

Those are the three modules of the U series. The UK series is the United Kingdom series of modules.

Zerakon

First Post
I think I've played or DM'd these:

UK3 The Gauntlet
UK5 Eye of the Serpent
UK6 All That Glitters...
WG6 Isle of the Ape

I remember All That Glitters being fairly exciting but I'm not remembering much details about it.

Eye of the Serpent on the other hand is very memorable. It would be extremely easy for you to incorporate into a world because it's a wilderness adventure taking place on a mountain. If I recall correctly, a roc picks up a character and takes him to the peak of the mountain. The character escapes the roc's nest and thus begins his or her adventure down the mountain.

So, pretty easy to incorporate into a world. However it is a module designed for one character, and specifically for a wilderness-based adventurer like a ranger or druid. So if you want a solo adventure for a wilderness adventurer, it's about as good as you can get. If you want a party adventure, it's about as bad as you can get.

Celebrim

Legend
Frankly, I would vote 'none of the above'.

I'm not terribly familiar with any of these.

OP1 is notable mainly as having a minor slaad lord (woot!), but it's not well done either as a monster or as an encounter IMO (boo!).

The UK series has its fans, but if you are going to pick up any of the UK series, pick up UK1 (as I recommended earlier).

'Isle of the Ape' is a high level adventure along the lines of 'Tomb of Horrors', only with a King Kong theme. It's the classic example of challenging a high level party by taking away all of their stuff, and I do mean all of their stuff.

Forget that list and get UK1, 'Beyond the Crystal Cave'.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Frankly, I would vote 'none of the above'.
Well, at least I know you have an opinion. ;) :p

The UK series has its fans, but if you are going to pick up any of the UK series, pick up UK1 (as I recommended earlier).
Hmm, see, I've been seriously mulling over the UK modules because of the fact that Whyte Knight has so many of them... UK1, UK2 & 3, UK6, and UK7 (I think). I almost bought UK1 today (*), but I decided against it because, first, I wanted to see what people think of the other UK modules. (*WK has two copies of that one.)

Hmm... decisions, decisions!

'Isle of the Ape' is a high level adventure along the lines of 'Tomb of Horrors', only with a King Kong theme. It's the classic example of challenging a high level party by taking away all of their stuff, and I do mean all of their stuff.
You see, Isle of the Ape interests me because I'm pretty sure that a game that I played in for a while was based on that module. On an island, there's a volcano, the characters are marooned, and they have to survive without any magic.

Does that sound about right?

Remove ads