Round Four: Back to the old school modules!

Which of the following modules are worth buying?

• B10 Night's Dark Terror

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • DQ1 The Shattered Statue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OP1 Tales of the Outer Planes

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • UK3 The Gauntlet

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • UK5 Eye of the Serpent

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • UK6 All That Glitters...

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • UK7 Dark Clouds Gather

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • WG6 Isle of the Ape

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • X6 Quagmire!

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Poll closed .

Belorin

Explorer
Of the listed modules above I've ran/played two, U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh and OP1 Tales of the Outer Planes which I used to spice up a long campaign. I recomend it for that purpose.

Bel

Celebrim

Legend
You see, Isle of the Ape interests me because I'm pretty sure that a game that I played in for a while was based on that module. On an island, there's a volcano, the characters are marooned, and they have to survive without any magic.

Does that sound about right?

I've never played it, and I don't own it, but the impression I get is...

1) All technology more advanced than stone age rots away.
2) All writing disappears.
3) The characters contract a disease that causes their attributes to waste away.
4) Most divine magic (above 3rd?) is inaccessible.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I've never played it, and I don't own it, but the impression I get is...

1) All technology more advanced than stone age rots away.
2) All writing disappears.
3) The characters contract a disease that causes their attributes to waste away.
4) Most divine magic (above 3rd?) is inaccessible.
That sounds about right. It was real annoying that we were stuck on the island and couldn't divine our way off it.

You see, Isle of the Ape interests me because I'm pretty sure that a game that I played in for a while was based on that module. On an island, there's a volcano, the characters are marooned, and they have to survive without any magic.

Does that sound about right?

That story sounds more like N4 Treasure Hunt. IIRC Isle of the Ape begins with the PC's meeting with Arachmage Tenser and being transported to the island.

Jhaelen

First Post
I DMed UK6 and UK7 years ago. Both were good fun and the former should be easy to incorporate into a homebrew.
UK7 involves a race of humanoid, flying rat(?)beings, that would have to be integrated into the homebrew. But I liked them well enough to write a follow-up adventure for it.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I'm an avid fan of the British style (U1-U3, and the whole UK stuff), but maybe because they are not too old school. Back in the eighties, many of these adventures were nearly revolutionary...

Zerakon already gave a short description of The Eye of the Serpent. Inspite of its being a one-on-one adventure you can easily use it with a group. The adventure itself gives the single PC three NPCs to see him through the module.

All that Glitters has a very cool premise: the players get their hands on some scraps of cloth with parts of a treasure map on it. The adventure even gives an explanattion of how the players acquire the cloths (ivory sticks used for the 1e Augury-spell are wrapped into it). The PCs have to deal with cannibals, a magical subway and some curious desert folk, only to discover that the precious, the treasure is but a Decanter of Endless Water.

When Dark Clouds Gather is a bit more cheesy. The PCs stumble across some zealous cleric tortureing a monstrous, winged humanoid. Details are hazy beyond this, but finally our heroes enter a Cloud Giant's cloud castle.

Another fantastic UK module is When a Star Falls (UK4?). It features an unusual set up (Memory Web), an interesting villain, and a very strong story. The PCs have to travel between interesting locations, deal with, e.g., Derro and some machines, avoid a dragon and sort of return to a castle filled with monks.

Ahh, the memories!

Remove ads