Why did they say Vancian magic would be gone?

Sadrik

First Post
It most clearly is not.

Party rests when dailies are done. It is the same old beast.

I really like the 4e underlining rules but the powers sub-system drives me nuts.

At-wills (Been there not for this discussion look here if you want to discuss them)
Encounters seem fine
Daily powers (wtf, daily powers?) - We get in a fight at 11:59PM so we can do our dailies twice in a fight! Did daily powers really need to be in the game?
Rituals (great concept, needed better implementation)

What has your experience been with dailies and resting?

Jack99

Adventurer
Yours does. Not quite the same.

Daily powers (wtf, daily powers?) - We get in a fight at 11:59PM so we can do our dailies twice in a fight! Did daily powers really need to be in the game?
Sarcasm is fun, but when used for a hyperbole, hardly useful for the debate.

That the two have little to do with each other. My players rest when it's night, or when they are completely exhausted of healing surges.

Timeboxer

Explorer

Usually the party averages about two dailies per fight -- more if it's a difficult encounter. We usually push on ahead even when we're running low on dailies, but when someone runs out of healing surges, that's a full stop.

Crothian

First Post
We rest when healing surges are mostly gone. Dailies rarely determine when we reswt.

But what does any of that have to do with Vancian magic? The thread title and the thread are not aligned properly.

Obryn

Hero
It most clearly is not.

I haven't found this. It's only healing surges that really force a rest... A character without Dailies is still probably 80% or so effective; Encounter powers are really where the fun is at, IMHO.

Also, can we please move past the pre-release marketing-speak now and talk about the game itself? 4e has been out for almost a year, and the cruddy marketing crap has been history for at least that long. I mean, every time I hear someone say something like "What do they mean, no more Vancian casting?" or "Every book is core, they said so, so you have to use it!" I want to scream. The game is out now. The pre-release marketing is gone. Please get over it, since you can now judge the game on its own merits rather than on the merits of what some marketing drone put in an ad a year or two ago.

[/rant]

It depends. Dailies add an extra layer of resource management that extends past the encounter. I think, if you didn't have dailies, people would complain even more about how it's impossible to challenge a party over the course of a day or a few days, instead of over the course of a singleencounter.

Rituals (great concept, needed better implementation)
I'm not going to necessarily disagree, but how so?

I pretty much said it above... Dailies don't force a rest. While every party would love to have their dailies going into an extremely hard fight, it's not a requirement, imho.

-O

Fallen Seraph

First Post
My game is quite combat light, so I can't comment to much since well Encounters are now Per Scene and Dailies are Per Chapter. So there is a much greater length of time between when they recharge.

What causes resting the most is Healing, which still works per-normal. If you get into a nasty fight which is likely your more likely to use up Healing Surges more so then Dailies.

As for Rituals, these are used more common by the few semi-magical characters we have. They have been used in numerous occasions both in Skill Challenges, Combat and normal non-combat. What I like about them the most is they have a nice flavour and have a nice bonus but they don't overpower other players.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
We get in a fight at 11:59PM so we can do our dailies twice in a fight!

That's not how daily powers work. They come back after an Extended Rest, no matter what time of the day or night they are used.

Bit of moderator business (not aimed at Sadrik): I've already banned two people from this thread. Anybody else that feels like adding snark and threadcrapping is going to be gone for a while.

Mallus

Legend
Dailies don't factor into our group's decision to rest at all. Heck, adventuring days go by when some PC's don't use them at all (like my paladin... his one big Daily is a ranged attack and he's often too embroiled in melee to set it off).

Healing Surges on the other hand...

Remove ads