Central Casting

Treebore

First Post
Anyone know where this is available? As print or PDF? Or an equivalent product aimed at fantasy D&D type characters?

For those not familiar, it is a product that had random tables to help determine a lot of background history elements for your PC or NPC's, greatly expanding upon what was in the 1E DMG, etc...

So if anyone knows where this can be bought, or of a similar sounding product that is available, I would appreciate the info.

hopeless

Adventurer
Reg this

Anyone know where this is available? As print or PDF? Or an equivalent product aimed at fantasy D&D type characters?

For those not familiar, it is a product that had random tables to help determine a lot of background history elements for your PC or NPC's, greatly expanding upon what was in the 1E DMG, etc...

So if anyone knows where this can be bought, or of a similar sounding product that is available, I would appreciate the info.

I did have four of these Central casting for legend, for tomorrow, there was a dungeons one and a present day one whose title escapes me, but I lost the legends one and I think sold on the dungeons one so still have the tomorrow and present day one and also hope they bring that out as a pdf since I used to pregen character backgrounds when I still had kingdoms of kalamar back before it was released for use with 3.0.

They were and still are useful of course since I play fantasy games most I still wish I'd kept my copy of the central casting for legends.

Crothian

First Post
They were never legally released as PDFs that I've seen. Any idea who owns the rights? You could try to talk them into a pdf release. The few hard copies I've seen for sale have been for around $50 at the summer conventions. I've not looked for them in the past 9 months so no idea what you might find them going for.

I'm very surprised we never saw any one else attempt something like this. Mongoose has a book for Paranoia that is similar to them for Alpha Complex but that's the only thing like them I know of.

Insight

Adventurer
At Origins a few years back, I talked to a guy at the Flying Buffalo booth and he told me that his company owned the rights to Central Casting. I spoke to him about either re-releasing the product or offering it online. Obviously, neither has happened to date.

Treebore

First Post
At Origins a few years back, I talked to a guy at the Flying Buffalo booth and he told me that his company owned the rights to Central Casting. I spoke to him about either re-releasing the product or offering it online. Obviously, neither has happened to date.

Really? I believe they have a convention up in Phoenix in the near future. Maybe I can go and persuade them, or at least mug them for it.;)

Ariosto

First Post
One game with a nifty "life path" table is Legendary Lives, freely downloadable from Haunted Attic. That's very rudimentary, though, next to those old Task Force Games books.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Central Casting books were "da bomb" back in the day. AFAIK, nobody has really done anything with them since they went OoP.

However, I have achieved some interesting results using the Everway (sadly, also OoP) PC gen system for FRPGs in general, and the Traveller system for Sci-Fi games.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
The Central Casting books were "da bomb" back in the day. AFAIK, nobody has really done anything with them since they went OoP.

However, I have achieved some interesting results using the Everway (sadly, also OoP) PC gen system for FRPGs in general, and the Traveller system for Sci-Fi games.

I think I saw a copy or two of Everway in my LGS yesterday in his OOP section. I'll have to see and check his pricing. Heck, he had Harn Manor, mint in shrink wrap for $15, so maybe his Everway will be similarly priced.

slwoyach

First Post
You'd think that given the prices people are willing to pay for the original, they would release the Central Casting books on PDF. I've been looking for a resonably priced copy myself for years.

Remove ads