Minion XP

hailstop

First Post
Okay, from lots of comments on the board and such it's obvious that Minions are overcosted...ie you should get more Minions for replacing one normal monster.

Has someone come up with a reasonable number then? 1/8? 1/16?

wedgeski

Adventurer
In one of the Wizards podcasts I believe it was Dave Noonan who said that he had reached the conclusion that minions were worth too much XP and had reduced it by half.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Minions value depends on the situation, I ran an encounter on friday where the minions were trying to get past the party to kill escaping civillians, I used normal cost for this (though there were 30 of them with a solo) they were effective and did the job, any more of them would have been overkill.

In more reasonable situations four minions last until the wizards turn, meaning they are worth less their 1/4 normal monster. I often use 4 minions with 4 more to run in later (and die). This also seems to work fine.

If I had to cost minions my gut says 1/6th of a normal monster.

Maybe giving Minions 2 HP would help^^

first hit: bloodied
second hit: dead

should not be too much bookkeeping... maybe a damage treshold to get it instantly killed... (Maybe Minion Level/constitution modfier damage)

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Maybe giving Minions 2 HP would help^^

first hit: bloodied
second hit: dead

should not be too much bookkeeping... maybe a damage treshold to get it instantly killed... (Maybe Minion Level/constitution modfier damage)

I was thinking any hit effect - dead any miss effect/auto damage= Bloodied, then dead if again.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
It really depends more on what the minions can actually do. There are some skeleton minions that have ranged attacks, which put them well ahead of melee only minions. Also consider that attempting to create a minion by following the instructions in the DMG / MM (I cannot remember which book has it), can have some odd effects. All the pre-statted minions have static damage ranges and they generally have no special abilities. But if you take a random level 6 or 7 Brute or Soldier, and give it 1 hp, but leave the rest in place, the resulting minion will have an unfixed damage range.

And what happens if the base monsters had an ability that triggered when bloodied? How does losing that affect the monsters effective level?

END COMMUNICATION

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
1/2 the experience so 8 minions for the equivalent normal. Even still they die really fast if you have controllers who know what they're doing.

I've invented a new type of minion known as the Tough Minion that I like a lot. When you hit a tough minion once, they go prone instead of dying. A hit while prone will kill them. On their turn, they can stand as a move just like normal and then need to be knocked prone again. This makes them stubborn but still beatable with a little teamwork. They're also dirt simple to track (knock the mini prone).

These guys I count as a normal minion experience-wise.

Remove ads