Healing Belt in MIC = broken?

Lou

Explorer
A Healing Belt allows any character wearing it to heal 4d8, once per day. It has some other options too, but for now, let's stick with 4d8 1/day. Of course, it can be used every day, forever. It costs 750 gp.

Wasn't the price raised to 1000 GP in an errata? I can't lay my finger on the exact reference at the moment.

EroGaki

First Post
This is quite interesting. How do you explain this MIC wonder, then?

Amber amulet of vermin,

Huge monstrous scorpion
1/day summons a Huge monstrous scorpion to serve you for 1 minute
700 gp

A Huge Monstrous Scorpion has 75 HP and is a CR 7 monster. Does this seem balanced to you? Why would anyone buy a Bag of Tricks, then?

The MIC is designed to make money for WotC, and if they have to change the game mechanics to do it, they will. Bottom line, it's money...the reason why TSR does this...oops, they're out of business now...perhaps they didn't do this effectively enough.

WotC is a business. Of course they want to make money. However, I doubt the Healing Belt is "broken" because they wanted to increase profit. I'm pretty certain the reason behind was enough people wanted magic items that where useful, versatile, and actually affordable. Many of the core items in the DMG are jacked up. Why should you have to pay 750gp for a crappy potion of Cure Serious Wounds that you can use once? It seems like a big waste of money, to me. Many people don't like playing clerics for the sole purpose that they become Band Aids instead of using their spells for what they want to use them for. Have an item like the Healing Belt offers some decent healing at a low price, and the item is reusable. Oh my god!! A useful item? It must be broken! Kill it, kill it!!

Give me a break. The OP and some others need to lighten up, and stop crying "broken" at every little thing that is actually useful and magical.

Runestar

First Post
his is quite interesting. How do you explain this MIC wonder, then?

Amber amulet of vermin,

Huge monstrous scorpion
700 gp

A Huge Monstrous Scorpion has 75 HP and is a CR 7 monster. Does this seem balanced to you? Why would anyone buy a Bag of Tricks, then?

There are likely to be a few outliers who fall outside the mold (in that I believe this to be an honest pricing mistake by wotc), but overall, I find the MIC offerings quite balanced for their reduced cost. Admit it - who would consider using a belt of healing if it was priced at the DMG guideline of 2500gp?

Same here. Who would normally buy a bag of tricks in the first place? The amulet may be a little undercosted, but not by much, at any rate.

Another reason I like MIC is that it makes these little charged eq cheap enough to be used by monsters (who are normally gimped by very crappy wealth guidelines), great for adding a little variety or rounding out their abilities (and unlike potions, the items can be looted by the party when they defeat the foe). Imagine the horror when a dragon is wearing a belt of battle (move + full attack), a giant uses a belt of 1 mighty blow or bracers of counterstriking to augment its attack, or a wizard adds up to 72 temp hp to fortify his normally anemic hp. :D

At the end of the day, it's a game-style thing. The OP would probably freak if someone wanted to play a Dragon Shaman, despite conventional wisdom being that the DS sucks.

Being able to dish out large amounts of damage and restrict players ability to heal it is something some folks like for their games. Other people aren't as interested in the resource management of hit points and how much you can get back for what cost and all that. *shrug* No biggie. You don't have to play in his game, nor do you have to have him in yours, so cut him some slack. If his players hate it, they'll quit or say something. If they don't, he'll keep running the game.

Either way it's not like you're going to change his mind right now. Just tell yourself, "I'm man enough to let him be wrong and don't have to try and prove it." and move on.

Runestar

First Post
To say that the entire book reeks of blatant power creep just because of 1 or 2 black sheep seems a little unreasonable. The other items seem fairly balanced. How many other items have been abused thus far? Can't think of any. Apart from a few bad eggs, the rest simply add more options to your party, without requiring you to pay though your nose.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
When you see most members of a party trying to acquire one of this, you know it's broken, specially when you know what style of players you have at the gaming table.

if you are playing in a group with no access to divine healing, I would allow it.

Thurbane

First Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say the belt is broken, but I would say it is seriously undervalued in the MIC, compared to existing healing items...

GlassEye

Adventurer
This is quite interesting. How do you explain this MIC wonder, then?

Amber amulet of vermin,

Huge monstrous scorpion
700 gp

I explain it by referring you to the official errata for the MIC where they correct the size. It is supposed to be a Large scorpion, not Huge.

As for the Belt of Healing, I like being able to afford a decent magic item by third level. If MIC had a failing, it was that it didn't go far enough and reprice the items in the DMG.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases