D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Cleon

Legend
Sure thing, then. Want to write them up? ;)

Slave Driver!;)

Sand Blast (Su): A sandman can blast X-foot cones of magical sand from its hands. They can blast two types of sand, "sleep sand" and "abrasive sand". Sandmen can produce one sandblast as a standard action and two sandblasts as a full-round action (one from each hand, both sandblasts must be the same type).

Sleep Sand - All creatures within the area of effect must succeed at a DC X Will save or fall asleep for Y rounds.

Abrasive Sand - All creatures within the cone take A damage, halved with a DC B Reflex save.

The save DCs are Charisma?-based.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good! I could go for Con-based, too, if we give it a decent Con.

1d6 for the abrasive sand?

In my rough draft I didn't give it a Con score, since I was basing its stats on a Wraith

Oops!

It have a pretty impressive Charisma of 19 but needs a Constitution - say Con 13?

1d6 seems a bit weak for the sand. Maybe 3d4?

Oh, and one other thing. Can the sandman overlap its "paired sandblasts" and if so what happens. Separate damage and saves or higher damage and save? (i.e. does the target make separate saves for each sandblast's effects and combine the results, or do they roll once at +something DC and take twice as much damage/sleep duration?)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Con 13 is fine. By the way, 9d8 HD is 39 hp, since you're supposed to round 0.5 down in 3.X rules, right?

It's only going to be about CR 4 (or maybe even 3), so the sand blast doesn't need to be too damaging. How about 1d8 or 1d10?

Can a dread linnorm's double breath weapons overlap?

Cleon

Legend
Con 13 is fine. By the way, 9d8 HD is 39 hp, since you're supposed to round 0.5 down in 3.X rules, right?

Yes you do round down, but 9 times 4.5 is 40.5.

It's only going to be about CR 4 (or maybe even 3), so the sand blast doesn't need to be too damaging. How about 1d8 or 1d10?

Can a dread linnorm's double breath weapons overlap?

Con 13 it is then!

Let's say 1d10 damage for the abrasive sandblasts and allow them to overlap.

I think we've got enough for another rough draft. I'll do one in my next post.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Sandman Working Draft

Sandman
Medium Outsider
Hit Dice: 9d8+9 (49 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: Fly 10 ft. (2 squares) (perfect)
Armor Class: 20 (+6 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 20, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+7
Attack:

Full Attack:
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Sandblast, touch attack
Special Qualities: Airy, darkvision 60 ft., dispersed form, dust body, immunity to mind-affecting powers, regeneration 5
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +8
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 22, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 19
Skills: Hide +20, Listen +14, Move Silently +20, Spot
+14
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative, Hostile Mind

Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 9-13 HD (Medium); 14-27 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

Floating on the air is a cloud of fine sand gathered into a roughly manlike shape.

Sandmen are mysterious creatures that are usually encountered in chambers filled with still air and sand or dust, such as abandoned bedrooms or desert caves. They are driven by a compulsion to put intruders to sleep with their sedative sand.

Sandmen do not need to eat, drink or breathe. They may somehow derive sustenance from the creatures they put to sleep.

Sandmen cannot speak.

Combat
A sandman will try to sneak up on its intended victims and spray them with sleep sand. I
f a victim stubbornly resists falling asleep and attacks, the sandman will fly out of melee reach and attack with abrasive sand blasts.

Airy (Ex): Since a sandman's body is made up of a (relatively) small amount of sand and lots of empty space, it is difficult to know where to attack the creature. Any melee or ranged attack with a piercing or slashing weapon directed at a sandman has a 20% miss chance. The blow or missile may pass through the creature's body without harming it. Even a true seeing effect is useless for determining where and how to strike the creature.

Dispersed Form (Ex): As a standard action, a sandman can disperse its body into a cloud of very fine sand. This form has the same effects as the spell gaseous form, with the addition that the sandman moves with perfect silence when dispersed. A dispersed sandman can remain in that state indefinitely and has a fly speed of 20 ft. with perfect maneuverability.

Dust Body (Ex): A sandman's body is made up of nothing but fine dust, giving it immunity to poison, disease, disintegration, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning and critical hits. A dead sandman cannot be brought back to life by raise dead, reincarnation or resurrection, it requires a limited wish, wish, miracle or true resurrection to restore it to life.

Regeneration (Ex):
Electricity does normal damage to a sandman. If a sandman is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points it is forced to assume its dispersed form (see above) until it gains a positive hit point score.

Sand Blast (Su):
A sandman can blast 20-foot cones of magical sand from its hands. They can blast two types of sand, "sleep sand" and "abrasive sand". Sandmen can produce one sandblast as a standard action and two sandblasts as a full-round action (one from each hand, both sandblasts must be the same type).

Sleep Sand
- All creatures within the area of effect must succeed at a DC 18 Will save or fall asleep for 4d12 rounds.

Abrasive Sand
- All creatures within the cone take 1d10 damage, halved with a DC 18 Reflex save.

The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Skills:
A sandman has a +8 racial bonus to its Hide and Move Silently checks.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Durh, I can't add somehow.

The working draft looks pretty good. I don't think it needs more immunities, really.

Let's have sleep last for 2 minutes.

With the abrasive sand, I think we can drop the touch attacks.

I'm feeling like not much advancement for these. Maybe 10-12 HD (Medium).

Remove ads