new 4e play-by-post campaign: IN GLOOM AND GLEN

cmennell

First Post
TITLE: IN GLOOM AND GLEN
SYSTEM: 4e
URL: In Gloom and Glen
SOURCE MATERIAL: ALL WOTC SOURCES CONSIDERED LEGAL; DDI CHARACTER BUILDER WELCOME!

"In Gloom and Glen" is a (4e) campaign designed to blend naturally with the unnamed setting already touched upon in the core D&D (4e) product, albeit with (possibly, anyway) somewhat darker themes.

Our story begins in a region of the world known as "The Emerald Glens" -- a valley enveloped by three mountain ranges. Secluded from the rest of the world, the Emerald Glens are not themselves impacted by the collapse of the Nerathian Empire -- the last great human imperium -- as those who live in the glens are self sustaining, the lands themselves having an almost uncanny ability to yield crops.

However, the people of the glens face a problem wholly their own, and one which threatens their way of life and, quite possibly, the world at large. Recently, their coveted forests in the south have begun exhibiting signs of a strange type of "corruption" -- monsters not native to the glens spilling out of the wilderness and raiding caravans, as well as an eerie and impenetrable darkness filling the woods, as trees twist and writhe together to block out the sun from penetrating their domain.

While some of this may be little more than superstition, it is nonetheless true that something is inhabiting the wilderness...something not of this world...and something that is, undoubtedly, spreading its influence over the inhabitants of the forest.

The question, then, is who shall be brave enough to answer the call, venture into the gloom-infested glens, and root out whatever evil has taken residence there?

:)

Our Starting Point

Players will all begin in the village of Downmeadows, which lies just on the northern outskirts of the Southern Glen. You have grown up in the region, no doubt...as, since the collapse of the Nerathian Empire a century ago, it's doubtful you hailed from the west. You might be from Thistleweave...and not necessarily a dwarf; it's possible you are the descendant of a family who left Amyrinth and headed into the mountains to continue business affairs with contacts they had made in the underdark. For whatever reason, ill or otherwise, you have come to the surface, and found your way to Downmeadows.

So, barring this potential explanation, you are likely from Downmeadows or one of the nearby communities. The Emerald Glens are rather diverse in terms of species, as, during the century of trade centered at Amyrinth, people from all walks of life inhabited the valley. If you're from one of the more unique races -- Goliath, Genasi, Drow, Dragonborn, Minotaur, etc. -- it's likely you're descended from people who came here in response to the bustling commerce.

I would like the party to already be coalesced when we begin...meaning I'd prefer you have established ties with one another...at least with one other member of the party.

I'll be posting more specific details about Downmeadows and the South Glens, as well as some of the neighboring area, but for now I think there is enough information to at least get people interested in adventuring in this campaign, so I'd like to start drawing in players ASAP.

Please also keep in mind that this is very much an open-world setting, meaning you can create whatever details you feel would be an appropriate fit, and thus help to flesh out the world as a whole. I'm not saying every idea will get approved -- I still have final say as to what is canon and what isn't -- but I'm very open to new ideas and greatly appreciate any help in developing concepts.

Let me know if you have any questions -- e-mail me at: ingloomandglen@gmail.com

Happy adventuring!

CaBaNa

First Post
You would probably have filled by now if you had posted in Talking the Talk...

Lucky for me though, you are here. And I am interested!!!

This sounds like great fun!

My character will likely be controller or leader. Would you allow a hybrid playtest character?

cmennell

First Post
talk the talk, huh?

Absolutely, CaBaNa! I'm personally very interested in seeing the hybrid characters in action.

My tabletop group, when 4e first came out, had actually kicked a similar idea around (as I'm sure a LOT of groups have), because we felt the multiclass system just wasn't a good way of representing a true "multiclass" character.

Guess we were spoiled by 3.5's system. :)

E-mail me a character as soon as you can...are you familiar with the website www.storycrafter.com? Let me know if you have any questions about signing up on that site or not.

Any other questions, let me know. Thank you for your interest...and for your suggestion on where to post this ad!

Regards,

Chris

Insight

Adventurer
I sent the GM an email about this game. I haven't decided on a character yet, but I have something of a concept: a merchant's son who has too much time on his hands and gets into trouble of various kinds. I'm thinking Warlock or Warlord maybe and Human, Half-Elf, or Tiefling right now.

cmennell

First Post
Yeah, the character concepts everyone's been sending so far are great! I'm really excited to see that...I thought I'd have an uphill battle finding solid characters that covered a diverse spectrum.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about accessing or using the www.storycrafter.com website. The game itself will run on that site, so you'll need to register as a member and submit an application. Characters can be e-mailed directly to me at ingloomandglen@gmail.com, but once you've applied on storycrafter, I can approve you there and set up a private thread for any personal/private inquiries between you and I, as well as a dedicated OOC thread for everyone to chat with each other.

I'll be putting up some more details tonight about the region, as well as specific info about Downmeadows, the starting point of the campaign.

And again, please feel free to contribute any of your concepts and ideas...as I mentioned, this is a very open-ended setting.

Thanks to everyone for your interest -- really looking forward to launching this story!

--Chris

hero4hire

Explorer
Did you get my character cmennell?

I joined the storytellers site. Interesting set-up. I kinda like it.

Last edited:

cmennell

First Post
I'm sorry, H4H! I thought I had replied...guess it didn't send. Got the character -- looks great. Happy to see a monk...I'm very curious to see them in action!

Yeah, I like www.storycrafter.com. I've been using that sight for six years...it's been a huge influence on my writing. Let me know if you need any help applying for the story or using any other part of the site.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases