Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
The stats look OK so far except I'd have the fly speed be (perfect) rather than (average).

I wouldn't have the Maddening Appearance work like a gaze attack - I don't think it takes an action to try driving its attackers insane, merely looking at this thing is enough to break mortal minds!

I was thinking of modelling it more on Frightful Presence, something like:

Maddening Appearance (Ex): A thing that should not exist has an appearance so terrible it can madden creatures that see it out to a radius of 120 feet. Any creature that sees the thing for the first time must succeed at a DC X Will save or be confused or panicked (equal chance of each) for 1d4 rounds. Once the viewer succeeds at the Will save they will not be affected by the thing's maddening appearance for a period of 24 hours. This is a sight-based mind-affecting power, the save DC is Charisma-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's a pretty good write-up. However, since it only works the first time a creature sees it, there's no need for the 24 hour immunity line. ;) And let's make "the save DC is Charisma-based" a separate sentence.

Cleon

Legend
That's a pretty good write-up. However, since it only works the first time a creature sees it, there's no need for the 24 hour immunity line. ;) And let's make "the save DC is Charisma-based" a separate sentence.

I would like it to refresh should aomeone see the Thing again the following day, I just couldn't decide how to word it.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm fine with Cleon's writeup, including allowing it to happen more than once.

Here's another ability that might be fun to modify:

Alien Mind (Su): While a minion of chaos is not immune to mental attacks, anyone targeting it with a mind-affecting or telepathic effect makes direct contact with its utterly alien mind. The attacker must make a DC 34 Will save or take 1d4+1 points of Wisdom damage. An attacker is subject to Wisdom damage on every attempt, whether the attack is successful or not. The save DC is Charisma-based.

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
If it has an alien mind, then it shouldn't be mindless. Actually it shouldn't be mindless in the first place if it's an aberration. I should point out that the carrion crawler, which was non-intelligent in previous editions has an intelligence of 1.

Cleon

Legend
If it has an alien mind, then it shouldn't be mindless. Actually it shouldn't be mindless in the first place if it's an aberration. I should point out that the carrion crawler, which was non-intelligent in previous editions has an intelligence of 1.

I'd be happy to give it Intelligence 1 - it lets us give it feats!

Cleon

Legend
I'm fine with Cleon's writeup, including allowing it to happen more than once.

Yes, I'd rather it works more than once, but the first successful save give 24 hours immunity.

Revising...

Maddening Appearance (Ex): A thing that should not exist has an appearance so terrible it can madden creatures that see it out to a radius of 120 feet. Any creature that sees the thing must succeed at a DC X Will save or be confused or panicked (equal chance of each) for 1d4 rounds. Once the viewer succeeds at the Will save they become immune to the thing's maddening appearance for a period of 24 hours. This is a sight-based mind-affecting power, the save DC is Charisma-based.

Here's another ability that might be fun to modify:

Alien Mind (Su): While a minion of chaos is not immune to mental attacks, anyone targeting it with a mind-affecting or telepathic effect makes direct contact with its utterly alien mind. The attacker must make a DC 34 Will save or take 1d4+1 points of Wisdom damage. An attacker is subject to Wisdom damage on every attempt, whether the attack is successful or not. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Alien Mind seems a good fit.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like all that.

Immolation seems pretty straight-forward, though I have two questions. Should it do fire damage or half-fire/half-untyped damage? And does it just do 6d8 damage once, or should it keep burning over a few rounds (with maybe a chance to put it out)?

Cleon

Legend
I like all that.

Immolation seems pretty straight-forward, though I have two questions. Should it do fire damage or half-fire/half-untyped damage? And does it just do 6d8 damage once, or should it keep burning over a few rounds (with maybe a chance to put it out)?

I was going to suggest half-and-half - Maybe half-fire, half-unholy? - but increase the damage to follow 3E's damage inflation.

Maybe 13d6 damage?

However, a "continuing burning" works as well - 6d8 on the first round, 4d8 on the second and 2d8 on the third? Standard- or move-action to make a reflex saves to beat out the flames on the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

Remove ads