Converting Greyhawk monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I think the lingering burning sounds fun, and I like half-fire, half-profane damage.

So...

Immolate (Su): Once per day, The Thing That Should Not Exist may immolate a single target within 100 feet with eldritch flames. The victim suffers 6d8 points of damage (Reflex DC X half). Half this damage is fire, the other half results directly from profane alien power, and is therefore subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks, such as that granted by protection from energy (fire), fire shield (chill shield), and similar magic. The flames linger, unless doused with holy water, dealing 4d8 points of damage on the second round and 2d8 points on the third round. The flames wink out on the fourth round. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

I think the lingering burning sounds fun, and I like half-fire, half-profane damage.

So...

Immolate (Su): Once per day, The Thing That Should Not Exist may immolate a single target within 100 feet with eldritch flames. The victim suffers 6d8 points of damage (Reflex DC X half). Half this damage is fire, the other half results directly from profane alien power, and is therefore subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks, such as that granted by protection from energy (fire), fire shield (chill shield), and similar magic. The flames linger, unless doused with holy water, dealing 4d8 points of damage on the second round and 2d8 points on the third round. The flames wink out on the fourth round. The save DC is Charisma-based.

I like the holy water extinguishing the flames, but find the "Half this damage is fire, the other half results directly from profane alien power, and is therefore subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks..." bit confusing.

Also, if it's unholy then perhaps it should do extra damage against good Outsiders?

Revising...

Immolate (Su): Once per day, The Thing That Should Not Exist may immolate a single target within 100 feet with eldritch flames. The victim suffers 6d8 points of damage (or 9d8 damage if they are a Good Outsider), with a DC X Reflex save for half damage. Half this damage is fire and can be countered by defenses against fire-based attacks, the other half results directly from profane alien power, and is therefore not subject to fire resistance or protection from energy (fire), fire shield (chill shield) and similar magic. The flames cling to the target for three rounds, dealing 4d8 points of damage on the second round and 2d8 points on the third round (6d8 and 3d8 to Good Outsiders). These unnatural flames can not be extinguished by physical means or the pyrotechnic spell, but can be doused with holy water. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oops, I left out a very important "not" in there! :blush:

I like the extra damage, but let's just go with "good subtype" rather than limiting it specifically to outsiders.

Thus...

Immolate (Su): Once per day, The Thing That Should Not Exist may immolate a single target within 100 feet with eldritch flames. The victim suffers 6d8 points of damage (9d8 against creatures with the Good subtype), with a DC X Reflex save for half damage. Half this damage is fire and can be countered by defenses against fire-based attacks, the other half results directly from profane alien power, and is therefore not subject to fire resistance or protection from energy (fire), fire shield (chill shield) and similar magic. The flames cling to the target for three rounds, dealing 4d8 points of damage on the second round and 2d8 points on the third round (6d8 and 3d8 to creatures with the Good subtype). These unnatural flames can not be extinguished by physical means or the pyrotechnic spell, but can be doused with holy water. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
Oops, I left out a very important "not" in there! :blush:

I like the extra damage, but let's just go with "good subtype" rather than limiting it specifically to outsiders.

Thus...

Immolate (Su): Once per day, The Thing That Should Not Exist may immolate a single target within 100 feet with eldritch flames. The victim suffers 6d8 points of damage (9d8 against creatures with the Good subtype), with a DC X Reflex save for half damage. Half this damage is fire and can be countered by defenses against fire-based attacks, the other half results directly from profane alien power, and is therefore not subject to fire resistance or protection from energy (fire), fire shield (chill shield) and similar magic. The flames cling to the target for three rounds, dealing 4d8 points of damage on the second round and 2d8 points on the third round (6d8 and 3d8 to creatures with the Good subtype). These unnatural flames can not be extinguished by physical means or the pyrotechnic spell, but can be doused with holy water. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Expanding it to any Good creature is fine by me. I used Good Outsiders because there are a few SRD "unholy" spells that do extra damage to Good Outsiders, and the Unholy weapon do an extra 2d6 to Good Outsiders as well.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Speed: Fly 30 ft. (6 squares)(average?)

Damage reduction 10/magic?

Skills: 16 ranks
8 each in Listen and Spot?

Feats: 5
Improved Critical (tentacle), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Quicken SLA (invisibility), Weapon Focus (tentacle)?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Speed: Fly 30 ft. (6 squares)(average?)

Make the maneuverability Perfect. I imagine these things can just hang in the air as if they were fixed to some invisible support (maybe most of their body is lying on some beach in the Far Realms, and the writhing guts are just a partial projection of their mass?).

Damage reduction 10/magic?

I'd prefer something a bit tougher, like DR 10/good or lawful.

Skills: 16 ranks
8 each in Listen and Spot?

Feats: 5
Improved Critical (tentacle), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Quicken SLA (invisibility), Weapon Focus (tentacle)?

That all looks good to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Let's go with DR/good. Since they are neutral evil, lawful makes less sense.

Challenge Rating: 8-9?

Treasure: None?

Alignment: Always neutral evil?

Advancement: 14-26 HD (Huge); 27-39 HD (Gargantuan)?

The Thing That Should Not Exist is 20 feet in diameter and weighs x pounds.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Let's go with DR/good. Since they are neutral evil, lawful makes less sense.

Challenge Rating: 8-9?

I was going to go for CR8 but decided their Maddening Appearance is enough to tip them over into Challenge Rating 9.

Treasure: None?

Alignment: Always neutral evil?

Yes to both. The only treasure the Thing values is the screaming memory of its victims.

Advancement: 14-26 HD (Huge); 27-39 HD (Gargantuan)?

That'll do fine.

I was tempted to suggest a bizarre Advancement since they're creatures of madness and evil, but multiples of "unlucky 13" seem just as apt.;)

The Thing That Should Not Exist is 20 feet in diameter and weighs x pounds.

How about leaving the weight out or saying it constantly changes?

No, better yet, the Thing is so alien it can not be weighed...

The Thing That Should Not Exist is 20 feet in diameter. Its unnatural, dimension-shifting flesh mean its body cannot be weighed by any rational set of scales.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This all looks good!

In Immolation, where we start to talk about the profane damage, we should insert a "but": "but the other half..."

Remove ads