Star Trek (the original series) and Star Trek (the new movie)...

Pbartender

First Post
So, my wife bought me all three seasons of Star Trek -- the original series -- for an early birthday present. We've been watching through them, and I suddenly realized that the writers of the new movie must have done their homework. Even a half-dozen episodes into the first season, and I'm noticing precursors to many of the "surprising twists" in the new movie.

For example...

We should have been far less surprised by the romance between Spock and Uhura in the movie. Early in season 1 (as far as I've watched so far) of the original television show, she's flirting and teasing Spock in just about every other episode. Granted, in the original series, he seems to stoically ignore her advances in a much more Vulcan manner, but still.

Anyway, I'm finding it quite interesting watching the old shows having seen the new "reboot" movie. I'll have to keep an eye out for more connections.

Orius

Legend
So, my wife bought me all three seasons of Star Trek -- the original series -- for an early birthday present. We've been watching through them, and I suddenly realized that the writers of the new movie must have done their homework. Even a half-dozen episodes into the first season, and I'm noticing precursors to many of the "surprising twists" in the new movie.

For example...

We should have been far less surprised by the romance between Spock and Uhura in the movie. Early in season 1 (as far as I've watched so far) of the original television show, she's flirting and teasing Spock in just about every other episode. Granted, in the original series, he seems to stoically ignore her advances in a much more Vulcan manner, but still.

Yeah, I feel kind of the same way. It didn't feel like something they pulled out of their asses, though as you said Spock was far more stoic in TOS. Even assuming he's younger and less in control of his emotions, there's the backplot for "This Side of Paradise" to consider. I'm not going to harp on that much anyway, since the movie deserves credit for giving Uhura some actual development which was pretty overdue for her.

I'm kind of neutral on the movie. It was enjoyable enough but it sometimes didn't feel like it fit in Trek. OTOH, there were a lot of good moments that worked well within the larger Trek universe (particularly the scenes from Spock's childhood).

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Of course, Spock was originally supposed to be more whimsical (see the original pilot The Cage/two-parter). He took over the 'computer-like' aspects of Number One (Majel Barret) after her character was dumped, along with just about everyone else except Spock, when the second pilot (Where No Man Has Gone Before) was made.

Remove ads