There is now 880 episodes of Star Trek and 13 movies

Yora

Legend
And all I care for are five seasons of one show, and four of the movies.
I've come to the realization that I am not actually a Star Trek fan.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Only Dr. Who universe beats it, the main show has 861 by itself

We hit upon the issue that "# of episodes" is a poor metric unless we establish episode equivalence. Classic Who episodes are 25 minutes long, where TOS Trek episodes had a runtime of 50 minutes.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I don't get the Orville, I found it unwatchable. 🤷‍♂️
Seth McFarlane seems to be very talented, but the opening song-and-dance number* he did at the Oscars put him on my no-fly list. I don't engage with anything he's involved in.

* TRIGGER WARNING: reference to depictions of sexual violence. Many of the actresses he jovially listed in the lyrics of his "We Saw Your Boobs" - Jodie Foster in The Accused, Halle Berry in Monster's Ball, Angelina Jolie in Gia, Charlize Theron in Monster - were playing rape victims, and in some cases their "boobs" were exposed during depictions of said violence. To make juvenile jokes about it is unconscionable.

EDIT: added spoiler-blocked explanation with warning.

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
It's definitely great time to be a Star Trek fan - and lucky for me, I'm one of them!

I grew up on re-runs of TOS, and it was one of those very formative cultural, pop-culture things for me. The show and the fan explosion of the 70s - with novels, technical manuals, etc. - was probably my first exposure to worldbuilding.

Completely disagreed, Raffi had a beautiful plot arc in season 3, that completed the journey towards rebuilding her life begun in Season 1.

I especially thought the final scene with Raffi & Worf together was moving, you could see how much it meant to her what he did for her. It was beautiful.
Fair enough. Raffi was not a character that received much sympathy from me.
I was also responding to a post which binned the first 2 seasons of Picard (which includes Raffi and her goals). i.e. why would anyone care after binning the first 2 seasons. I also very much thought Raffi's and Worf's entire information seeking expedition in season 3, particularly when the Vulcan showed up, was rather poorly thought out and painful to watch.
On the other hand, I was immediately drawn to Captain Liam Shaw, Sidney La Forge and Jack Crusher who I think were written well and thus easier to like.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Seth McFarlane seems to be very talented, but the "We Saw Your Boobs"* number he did at the Oscars put him on my no-fly list. I don't engage with anything he's involved in.

* I will not get into specifics, in the interest of avoiding peoples' triggers, but you can look up why it was controversial.
Not my issue, but I guess I can see why this sent you packing.

Fair enough. Raffi was not a character that received much sympathy from me.
I was also responding to a post which binned the first 2 seasons of Picard (which includes Raffi and her goals). i.e. why would anyone care after binning the first 2 seasons. I also very much thought Raffi's and Worf's entire information seeking expedition in season 3, particularly when the Vulcan showed up, was rather poorly thought out and painful to watch.
On the other hand, I was immediately drawn to Captain Liam Shaw, Sidney La Forge and Jack Crusher who I think were written well and thus easier to like.
After rewatching the first season of Picard, its not as binned as it first seems, there are thematic currents that survive from throughout Picard, like exploration of Fatherhood (and to lesser more specific Raffi case Motherhood, but mostly fatherhood).

In Season One & 3 we explore Rikers experience as a father, the pain of losing a child, and his delight in his children.

Picard acting as this over arching father figure to seemingly everyone, not just Jack, but Elrond, Soji & her late sister, even Rios (who in turn assumes a fatherly role in season 2) views him as a father figure and is heart broken, even Soong talks about his father.

Then in Season 3 you have Picard - Jack, Geordie and his daughter Sydney & a
Alrondra.

Apparently Matalas actually wanted Soji to meet Data, continueing the Father/Parental theme, but the budget wasn't there. I would love to explore that relationship, but also the ethics of using Data's neuron to functionally make him father numerous children possibly without his consent. Its like sperm bandits (sadly that's a real thing).

MarkB

Legend
Seth McFarlane seems to be very talented, but the opening song-and-dance number* he did at the Oscars put him on my no-fly list. I don't engage with anything he's involved in.

* TRIGGER WARNING: reference to depictions of sexual violence. Many of the actresses he jovially lists in his lyrics - Jodie Foster in The Accused, Halle Berry in Monster's Ball, Angelina Jolie in Gia, Charlize Theron in Monster - were playing rape victims, and in some cases their "boobs" were exposed during depictions of said violence. To make juvenile jokes about it is unconscionable.

EDIT: added spoiler-blocked explanation with warning.
For me it was the season 1 Orville episode with the alien character who's basically a walking date-rape drug. Drives the captain to abandon his efforts to stave off a planetary-scale war resulting in numerous casualties, pushes people into relationships which they would clearly not otherwise consent to, drives one character to the brink of murder, and at the end he's jovially waved off with a "no harm, no foul".

For me it was the season 1 Orville episode with the alien character who's basically a walking date-rape drug. Drives the captain to abandon his efforts to stave off a planetary-scale war resulting in numerous casualties, pushes people into relationships which they would clearly not otherwise consent to, drives one character to the brink of murder, and at the end he's jovially waved off with a "no harm, no foul".

Have not gotten to that episode yet, damn, is it a female character that does this?

I literally just started watching the Orville today, although I had to make a break after epsode 3.

This is the series that was supposed to be less political then Nu-Trek? And its way more serious then expected, I was expecting Galaxy Quest, but without the they are really actors in modern times angle, played straighter, but still super funny.

Its more Sarcastic Star Trek, nothing like Galaxy Quest which was genuinely apolitical.

I mean episode 3 is a miracle in that it didn't get boycotted by multiple different groups angry at different things.

And episode 2 makes a weird comparsion to Zoos that just doesn't work with the alien race presented which is too human like for it to work.

It is funny at times, but most of the humour is sarcasm based, or the unprofessional behavior of the helmsmen.

The aestetic they nailed and the setting is great and I love the characters, but some of the attempts at deep moral comundrums I wasn't expecting from this show so it feel more shocking then I think it would otherwise.

But the moral condrums don't land right or work properly. The Mocklins are right for viewing the Union, or more specifically the humans as hypocritcs, and they fold way too easily, major cultural change is never that easy.

And the death in episode 1 was so unexpected and horrifying that it felt like it belong on different show entirely, like a punch from outside your field of vision.

I kind of like the show maybe, parts I didn't like, but its so far from what I've been lead to believe it was that I feel I need time to digest it.

I feel sooooo mislead.

Remove ads