Star Trek: Section 31 ... THE MOVIE

There has been a long (and I mean LONG) history of false starts on a spinoff series about Section 31 in the Star Trek universe starring Michelle Yeoh.

Well, it looks like we have #Section31CONFIRMED!

What is surprising is that for years, it has been pitched as a series that was a spinoff of Discovery. Now, it is going to be a full-fledged MOVIE!

What does this all mean? Well, a few things ...

After the Oscar win and the success of Everything Everywhere All At Once, Yeoh is going to be able to cash in a little. Good. For. Her! Seriously ... she is amazing, and deserves the long-overdue recognition. And money. People don't live off of recognition.

Second, going forward on this movie likely is the final nail in the coffin for the fourth Kelvin universe Star Trek movie. I really loved that cast (RIP Yelchin ..... ) but they just never were able to get things together. Now that they are moving ahead with this movie, I find it unlikely that they'll be able to get the gang together again.

Its a Streaming movie, I don't think its going to end up in Threaters and in fact Kurtzman plans at least 1 TV movie every 2 years.

Also interesting side fact for Star Trek "All series in total amount to 879 episodes across 44 seasons of television."

Vael

Legend
I honestly expected the Section 31 series to go away because Michelle Yeoh was going to be too in demand to make a series function, so I'm glad to see her again play Georgiou, as she was one of my favourite parts of Discovery (both as Captain and as Mirror Universe Emperor). But, I will agree that centering a story on her cannot be a endorsement of Section 31.

Dire Bare

Legend
S31 was this clandestine unit nobody knew about in DS9. In Discovery suddenly everyone knows who they are and they now have a fleet of ships. Very confusing to me. Probably alternate universes and time travel shenanigans. 🤷‍♂️
It's not that "everyone" knows who/what Section 31 is in Discovery-era Trek . . . but the actual ship U.S.S. Discovery had a strong Section 31 presence due to the highly experimental nature of the spore drive and the on-going Klingon War. Granted, while they introduced the "black badges" early on in the show, their role on the ship was glossed over and not clearly dealt with. And it wasn't long before the writers seemed to forget the Section 31 presence on the ship, even before we ended the season and discovered that Lorca was a baddie.

It makes sense to me that the nature, purpose, methods of Section 31 have changed over the decades of Starfleet's existence. And how clandestine and well-known the organization is.

Section 31 was depicted as way more powerful in Discovery era than in the later Trek eras, with that sizeable fleet of spy-ships . . . . but the organization was devasted by the events in the Season 2 finale, and it makes sense to me that the remnants retreated into a more secretive, clandestine role.

Which Yeogh's new movie can explore!!! I'm excited!

I'd guess they shot at least some of the "31" show, and they likely have lots of left over DISCO footage.....so put that all together and you can make a less then two hour movie. Maybe have Michelle Yeoh come in for a day or two of shooting.

And the movie is about her "confronting her past". But she does not have much of a 'past' in the universe. So it must be her past in the Mirror Universe. Like maybe the Mirror Section 13 crosses over to cause trouble...

Last we saw, she stepped through "Carl", so she could end up anywhere/any time to star the movie......

Mallus

Legend
S31 was this clandestine unit nobody knew about in DS9. In Discovery suddenly everyone knows who they are and they now have a fleet of ships. Very confusing to me. Probably alternate universes and time travel shenanigans. 🤷‍♂️
I like to think it was the events of Discovery season 2 that led to Section 31 being edited out of Starfleet's official history over the next 80 or so years. Then again, I like it when the Federation does things that a real political entity would so. It tethers the utopianism.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Section 31 was depicted as way more powerful in Discovery era than in the later Trek eras, with that sizeable fleet of spy-ships . . . . but the organization was devasted by the events in the Season 2 finale, and it makes sense to me that the remnants retreated into a more secretive, clandestine role.

I like to think it was the events of Discovery season 2 that led to Section 31 being edited out of Starfleet's official history over the next 80 or so years. Then again, I like it when the Federation does things that a real political entity would so. It tethers the utopianism.
Meh. Plausible but dont care for it. Just more reasons that DISCO didnt quite feel like Trek to me.

delericho

Legend
I honestly expected the Section 31 series to go away because Michelle Yeoh was going to be too in demand to make a series function, so I'm glad to see her again play Georgiou, as she was one of my favourite parts of Discovery (both as Captain and as Mirror Universe Emperor).

Yeah. IMO one of the worst things about Discovery is that it started by showing me something I would much rather have watched: Captain Georgiou and her crew off doing Star Trek-ky things. Of course, now we have "Strange New Worlds" for that slot.

But, I will agree that centering a story on her cannot be a endorsement of Section 31.

Assuming they're continuing Georgiou's story, it feels to me like she'll probably be re-recruited by Section 31 because on the face of it being from the MU makes her a perfect candidate, but her time on Disco has changed her such that the S31 methods no longer sit right, and so she takes action to bring down their latest conspiracy du jour.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Assuming they're continuing Georgiou's story, it feels to me like she'll probably be re-recruited by Section 31 because on the face of it being from the MU makes her a perfect candidate, but her time on Disco has changed her such that the S31 methods no longer sit right, and so she takes action to bring down their latest conspiracy du jour.
Ugh, probably. I would prefer a much darker take in that Georgiou takes out the weak and awful leadership of S31 and repurposes it as she sees fit. That take would be pretty sweet, but I'm sure they will go the anti-hero route instead.

I'd guess they shot at least some of the "31" show, and they likely have lots of left over DISCO footage.....so put that all together and you can make a less then two hour movie. Maybe have Michelle Yeoh come in for a day or two of shooting.
To be clear, no.

This isn't the 1990s.

They haven't shot any of the Section 31 show. They never got out of pre-production. They just kept doing re-writes through 2020, and since then have been trying to convince Paramount to make it, but were told it wasn't going to happen unless another show ended. And you can't just slap together old footage and call it a show like you could in the 1990s. Audiences, as much as we might sneer at them, have higher standards than that.

Remove ads