Incoming: Star Fleet Academy TV Show

MarkB

Legend
So thats why Tilly was shipped off to the academy.
Seems like they are evacuating every marginally interesting character who can steal the show from Burnham to its own Spinoff series.
So what will the Saru spinoff be called?
Heh, I'm not against the idea myself, but I'm pretty sure that if they set the Academy series in the 30th-century Starfleet, most fans will riot.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Because of course there was.

star-trek-ncc-90210.jpg

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's not like there haven't been plenty of good TV series in a variety of genres set in and around schools or universities. And we've seen plenty of evidence that Starfleet likes to give its students ample practical experience.

There's a problem of stakes - with so many actually qualified officers around, it is frelling dumb to allow cadets to regularly deal with high-stakes issues. It can happen once in a while because, well, stuff happens. But overall, to be plausible, the series has to overall be pretty low stakes. And I think writing a low-stakes show that Trek fans will find compelling is extremely difficult.

Maybe I'm wrong. If so, I'll be happy to be wrong, so I really can't lose here.

MGibster

Legend
There's a problem of stakes - with so many actually qualified officers around, it is frelling dumb to allow cadets to regularly deal with high-stakes issues. It can happen once in a while because, well, stuff happens. But overall, to be plausible, the series has to overall be pretty low stakes. And I think writing a low-stakes show that Trek fans will find compelling is extremely difficult.
I did joke about the Star Trek 90210, but I think maybe they could make the show more about personal relationships and personal stakes and still be compelling. Maybe.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I doubt they care what the (old) fans think.

I don't think that's true. I think "old" fans is what drove them to "fix" the tone of Discovey and to greenlight Brave New Worlds. I usually find that if you do a project "right" (by not offending the existing fanbase) while also doing new, good material, you get the best of both worlds AKA success. Look at Marvel. They do what they do very well, and they gather themselves an audience that includes new AND old fans, and eclipse the fanbase of... everything, really.

But overall, to be plausible, the series has to overall be pretty low stakes.

I don’t think there’s any danger the new series will break new ground by being plausible. They’re defiantly saving the galaxy during the first season, though no one will believe it necessary while they do, so they’ll have to break so many regulations and probably get temporarily kicked out. In the second season we’ll learn that only kicked the can down the road…

Last edited:

Remove ads