Incoming: Star Fleet Academy TV Show

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Keep in mind those cheap P+ plans include commercial interruption. The cost is a bit higher if you mind it (and I do.) My refusal to pay 1.25 an episode isn't directed at Star Trek, its at P+ not being a service I value.

$1.25 per episode is too much for you?
Yeah, because it all adds up to an amount per year that I can easily digest in one or two months and then cancel my subscription. So about $1.04-$1.15 of that $1.25 is being spent on being impatient and too lazy to start and stop a subscription.

Most services have the things I really want and then a bunch of miscellaneous stuff I'll watch because I have the service anyway, imagine that I might want to watch someday, or otherwise feel the need to maintain my access to. Paramount+ has the Star Trek that I actually want (or feel compelled to watch at least, I have mixed feelings about a lot of it) and more or less a bunch of stuff I have no interest in whatsoever. That keeps me subscribed long enough to watch it all once. Whereas the episodic television of yesteryear's Trek is something I'll throw on any old time, the continuous season narratives of 2020s Trek gets me very excited for the next episode, but also means I'll probably only watch it all once through, because every episode is part of a season long story commitment.

Someday, when TNG and DS9 disappear form American Netflix, Paramount+ will probably become an always subscribed to option for me, but for now its just a sometimes streaming service.

Hex08

Hero
What do you think- is this what you want to see, or are you also as ambivalent as I am?
I'm pretty ambivalent about it. So far, the Paramount+ Star Trek shows have been rather hit or miss for me so I don't have very high expectations.

I really tried to like Discovery and made it through the end of season 3 and, other than Anson Mount as Pike, I just hated it. It was decent enough sci-fi but horrible Trek (I'm not going into why I think that because you can find these debates all over the interwebs). Picard suffered from some of the issues that Discovery has but I enjoyed it because of my love of the characters and the story was entertaining. Lower Decks was breath of fresh air, more than any of the other P+ shows it actually feels like Star Trek. From a design perspective alone, it looks more like Star Trek than Discovery. Prodigy has been pretty entertaining; I didn't expect to like it as much as I do since it's a children's show.

As for the shows that are coming up, I have mixed felling about them. I'm excited for Strange New Worlds because, as I said earlier, I really liked Anson Mount as Pike and it sounds like they are going to try and capture the feeling of TOS a bit. I have no interest in the Section 31 show, more grimdark Star Trek just misses the point of Star Trek. I don't know enough about Star Trek Academy to have an opinion but I struggle to muster any interest in the idea.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I found Disco to be more enjoyable once I gave up expecting it to be like any other Trek. Though, I agree that Anson Pike got pretty close.

Hex08

Hero
$1.25 per episode is too much for you?
That's not really a good way to break it down, it's the kind of trick salespeople use to get customers to buy stuff because it makes it sound less impactful on a person's budget than it otherwise might be. Some people have budgetary constraints that determine how much they can or will spend in a month so they need to consider the total cost of the service and balance that against the value they would get from it and are already getting from other services. If I were to breakdown the total cost per episode of every streaming show I would watch on every streaming service then I would likely think that they are all cheap and I would then signup for most of the available streaming services, but I don't because paying the total monthly cost of those services is more than I am willing to pay.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
How do you guys find so much time to binge a show during a month, or several shows.

It's all I can do to find the time to watch a show sporadically through the month!

Remove ads