Has the Star Wars Expanded Universe "Jumped the Shark"?

It was the Expanded Universe that really made me more than just a casual fan of the movies. The trilogy was lots of fun (and when I became a big fan, it was just the one trilogy), but it was the depth and breadth of the extra materials that really gave it so much more life.

In High School, the Thrawn Trilogy was my favorite reading. I ravenously read through all the other EU books that were coming out in the mid-to-late 90's. Truce at Bakura, Courtship of Princess Leia, and the Jedi Academy Trilogy were all good (or at least decent) novels that filled in logical roles in the progression of the story of Star Wars (what happened in the immediate aftermath of Return of the Jedi, how Han & Leia finally got married, and how Luke re-founded the Jedi Order).

There were a few duds in there too, like The Crystal Star, or Children of the Jedi, but they were one-off novels that were fairly stand alone and didn't make major lasting changes to the setting. Heck, it wasn't until Darksaber that they killed off any characters from the movies, and then it was General Madine, a pretty minor character.

They progressed the timeline on and on, and eventually brought what I thought could have been a decent conclusion to the saga with the Hand of Thrawn duology. The Empire surrenders and a peace treaty is signed, Luke proposes to Mara Jade, and the New Republic is at peace with the Empire now a surrendered minor regional power in the Outer Rim and dozens or hundreds of up-and-coming Jedi standing ready to defend the Republic.

Then they bring in the Yuuzhan Vong. That peace lasts about 2 or 3 years before they start a war that is bigger than the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War. Trillions die, many entire planets are killed, including planets that were significant parts of Star Wars canon like Ithor (and Coruscant itself being permanently altered/damaged). Chewbacca is casually killed off like a Redshirt in the opening of the story just to show the audience this is Serious Business and there won't be a Reset Button ending to this story (not to mention having Mon Mothma die in her sleep right before the events of the start of the war). I never liked the Vong war, it just didn't seem right. Bizarre extragalactic sadomasochistic aliens with a racial death & torture cult that have incredibly advanced biotechnology (later admitted by the writers to be inspired by the D&D setting Dark Sun's lifeshaping) and refuse to use any mechanical technology, and are completely immune to and invisible to The Force just didn't seem like something that fit in Star Wars, on top of these strange new teachings that there is no Light or Dark Side and that everything we thought we knew about the Force is wrong, the Republic turns against the Jedi seeing them as villains, and the New Republic collapses to be replaced with a "Galactic Alliance of Free Federations" (a dumb name IMO). The concept seemed like bad fanfic or a RPG session that would make me think that the GM was bonkers.

However, it more-or-less redeemed itself as it went. I still didn't like where it went, but at least later on they retconned the weird revelations about the Force as being Sith heresies, and they came up with a reason for why the Vong seemed to not exist in the Force (they were racially blocked from it as punishment for their warlike ways which had devastated their home galaxy), and when the Vong war was over at least it felt some sense of conclusion like maybe it could have been seen as the third trilogy. If they had stopped there, at least you'd had the feeling that the Galaxy would at long-last be at peace, and the Jedi would be there to protect the Galaxy.

However, everything since the Vong War has just gone downhill further. The Legacy of the Force just seemed to be milking it for what they could extract further. The Galactic Alliance becomes almost as much of a tyranny as the Empire, with Jacen Solo falling to the Dark Side as Darth Caedus and leading a secret police that engages in torture and extrajudicial killings of all enemies of the state. Corellia and a group of allied worlds splits from the Galactic Alliance to form The Confederation and the galaxy is in Civil War again with a Dark Lord of the Sith rampaging around.

Just as they solve this Second Civil War (mostly) and kill off Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus and put an end to this reign of terror, we now have the Fate of the Jedi novels starting, where former-Admiral Daala is now the leader of the Galactic Alliance and has Luke Skywalker arrested and held accountable for the fall of Jacen Solo, and has him sent into exile for a decade and told that unless he can prove to her satisfaction at the end of that decade that it was unavoidable, she will have the Galactic Alliance destroy the Jedi Order, and the Confederation isn't any help either since it's now run by former Imperials too.

If you jump ahead a century, you get the Star Wars: Legacy. Now the Sith openly rule the Galaxy, the Jedi are once again hunted to the brink of extinction after the destruction of their temple (although the Empire has legions of Force users loyal to it), a Galactic Empire once again rules the galaxy, and last remnants of the old government with even a tenuous claim to being heirs to the Republic survive as a rebel force on the Rim.

I don't know if it was at the New Jedi Order series, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, or Star Wars: Legacy series, but it seems like Star Wars has really "Jumped the Shark", and it's no longer telling an ongoing tale, but instead reiterating the same old story over and over. Jedi are set up as enlightened warrior-priests to act as police/peacekeepers, but then hunted down and betrayed by the state after being made scapegoats for the problems of the day and left decimated and having to rebuild. A just government is set up, but it turns to tyranny and oppression inevitably, leaving a splinter faction to oppose it and the government collapses or is reorganized into a totally new form. The Sith rule the Galaxy (de facto or de jure) only to be cast down into hiding for a few decades to regroup.

It's almost seeming like you can create a Star Wars era/plot arc by paint-by numbers now: advance the timeline a few decades or a century or two and then throw in all (or at least most) of the above plot elements.

Within the Star Wars universe, sometimes it looks like the ~970 years between the end of the New Sith War and the Clone Wars was the longest period of peace and relative normalcy in the entire 25,000 year history of galactic civilization.

I know that LFL wants to keep marching the timeline on to produce more books and make more money, but they've got millennia of galactic history to work with (KotOR showed they can go back a few thousand years and have fun, for example), and successive massive galaxy-shaking wars each costing billions or trillions of lives and shattering planets and rocking the political structure of the galaxy to the core each time is starting to really wear thing.

It was the Expanded Universe that really made me more than just a casual fan of the movies. The trilogy was lots of fun (and when I became a big fan, it was just the one trilogy), but it was the depth and breadth of the extra materials that really gave it so much more life.

In High School, the Thrawn Trilogy was my favorite reading. I ravenously read through all the other EU books that were coming out in the mid-to-late 90's. Truce at Bakura, Courtship of Princess Leia, and the Jedi Academy Trilogy were all good (or at least decent) novels that filled in logical roles in the progression of the story of Star Wars (what happened in the immediate aftermath of Return of the Jedi, how Han & Leia finally got married, and how Luke re-founded the Jedi Order).

There were a few duds in there too, like The Crystal Star, or Children of the Jedi, but they were one-off novels that were fairly stand alone and didn't make major lasting changes to the setting. Heck, it wasn't until Darksaber that they killed off any characters from the movies, and then it was General Madine, a pretty minor character.

They progressed the timeline on and on, and eventually brought what I thought could have been a decent conclusion to the saga with the Hand of Thrawn duology. The Empire surrenders and a peace treaty is signed, Luke proposes to Mara Jade, and the New Republic is at peace with the Empire now a surrendered minor regional power in the Outer Rim and dozens or hundreds of up-and-coming Jedi standing ready to defend the Republic.

Then they bring in the Yuuzhan Vong. That peace lasts about 2 or 3 years before they start a war that is bigger than the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War. Trillions die, many entire planets are killed, including planets that were significant parts of Star Wars canon like Ithor (and Coruscant itself being permanently altered/damaged). Chewbacca is casually killed off like a Redshirt in the opening of the story just to show the audience this is Serious Business and there won't be a Reset Button ending to this story (not to mention having Mon Mothma die in her sleep right before the events of the start of the war). I never liked the Vong war, it just didn't seem right. Bizarre extragalactic sadomasochistic aliens with a racial death & torture cult that have incredibly advanced biotechnology (later admitted by the writers to be inspired by the D&D setting Dark Sun's lifeshaping) and refuse to use any mechanical technology, and are completely immune to and invisible to The Force just didn't seem like something that fit in Star Wars, on top of these strange new teachings that there is no Light or Dark Side and that everything we thought we knew about the Force is wrong, the Republic turns against the Jedi seeing them as villains, and the New Republic collapses to be replaced with a "Galactic Alliance of Free Federations" (a dumb name IMO). The concept seemed like bad fanfic or a RPG session that would make me think that the GM was bonkers.

However, it more-or-less redeemed itself as it went. I still didn't like where it went, but at least later on they retconned the weird revelations about the Force as being Sith heresies, and they came up with a reason for why the Vong seemed to not exist in the Force (they were racially blocked from it as punishment for their warlike ways which had devastated their home galaxy), and when the Vong war was over at least it felt some sense of conclusion like maybe it could have been seen as the third trilogy. If they had stopped there, at least you'd had the feeling that the Galaxy would at long-last be at peace, and the Jedi would be there to protect the Galaxy.

However, everything since the Vong War has just gone downhill further. The Legacy of the Force just seemed to be milking it for what they could extract further. The Galactic Alliance becomes almost as much of a tyranny as the Empire, with Jacen Solo falling to the Dark Side as Darth Caedus and leading a secret police that engages in torture and extrajudicial killings of all enemies of the state. Corellia and a group of allied worlds splits from the Galactic Alliance to form The Confederation and the galaxy is in Civil War again with a Dark Lord of the Sith rampaging around.

Just as they solve this Second Civil War (mostly) and kill off Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus and put an end to this reign of terror, we now have the Fate of the Jedi novels starting, where former-Admiral Daala is now the leader of the Galactic Alliance and has Luke Skywalker arrested and held accountable for the fall of Jacen Solo, and has him sent into exile for a decade and told that unless he can prove to her satisfaction at the end of that decade that it was unavoidable, she will have the Galactic Alliance destroy the Jedi Order, and the Confederation isn't any help either since it's now run by former Imperials too.

If you jump ahead a century, you get the Star Wars: Legacy. Now the Sith openly rule the Galaxy, the Jedi are once again hunted to the brink of extinction after the destruction of their temple (although the Empire has legions of Force users loyal to it), a Galactic Empire once again rules the galaxy, and last remnants of the old government with even a tenuous claim to being heirs to the Republic survive as a rebel force on the Rim.

I don't know if it was at the New Jedi Order series, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, or Star Wars: Legacy series, but it seems like Star Wars has really "Jumped the Shark", and it's no longer telling an ongoing tale, but instead reiterating the same old story over and over. Jedi are set up as enlightened warrior-priests to act as police/peacekeepers, but then hunted down and betrayed by the state after being made scapegoats for the problems of the day and left decimated and having to rebuild. A just government is set up, but it turns to tyranny and oppression inevitably, leaving a splinter faction to oppose it and the government collapses or is reorganized into a totally new form. The Sith rule the Galaxy (de facto or de jure) only to be cast down into hiding for a few decades to regroup.

It's almost seeming like you can create a Star Wars era/plot arc by paint-by numbers now: advance the timeline a few decades or a century or two and then throw in all (or at least most) of the above plot elements.

Within the Star Wars universe, sometimes it looks like the ~970 years between the end of the New Sith War and the Clone Wars was the longest period of peace and relative normalcy in the entire 25,000 year history of galactic civilization.

I know that LFL wants to keep marching the timeline on to produce more books and make more money, but they've got millennia of galactic history to work with (KotOR showed they can go back a few thousand years and have fun, for example), and successive massive galaxy-shaking wars each costing billions or trillions of lives and shattering planets and rocking the political structure of the galaxy to the core each time is starting to really wear thing.
I can say that I liked the Thrawn trilogy (and also the other Thrawn books) a lot, but I never was quite content with the Vong stuff or other books. The Vong in particular didn't feel like they belonged into Star Wars, at least not the way they were done. I mean, they could have been something like the "New Sith", but being Force-Insensitive doesn't really facilitate that. ;)

I'd like to note though that the idea of someone betraying the Jedi Knights seems to be recurring theme, that also exists in KOTOR. Maybe that part is inevitable?

I like some of the ideas I heard regarding Legacies, but more the general setup of the "major players" than the specific historical details, as far as I know them.

Klaus

First Post
To me, you can jump from RotJ to the SW: Legacy series and gloss over everything in-between. If you do that, the theme becomes "the universe goes where the Skywalkers go": when a Skywalker went bad, the galaxy plunged into Dark Times; when a Skywalker rose to the light, the galaxy knew peace; now the last Skywalker is teetering between light and dark, and so is the galaxy.

And in Legacy, the galaxy is divided between the Sith Empire, the Fel Empire, the Galactic Alliance and the Fringe.

frankthedm

First Post
Then they bring in the Yuuzhan Vong. That peace lasts about 2 or 3 years before they start a war that is bigger than the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War. Trillions die, many entire planets are killed, including planets that were significant parts of Star Wars canon like
Ithor
(and
Coruscant
itself being permanently altered/damaged).
Chewbacca
is casually killed off like a Redshirt in the opening of the story just to show the audience this is Serious Business and there won't be a Reset Button ending to this story (not to mention having
Mon Mothma die in her sleep
right before the events of the start of the war). I never liked the Vong war, it just didn't seem right.
:rant:Just because you don't like the Yuuzahn Vong arc, doesn't mean you should leave spoilers unmasked.

Though truth be told, the frequent spoiler complaints i've heard about this series are part why i've grown interested in it. Though I'll agree
Cheewbacca got punked

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Though truth be told, the frequent spoiler complaints i've heard about this series are part why i've grown interested in it. Though I'll agree
Cheewbacca got punked

Chewbacca had an obituary in the Washington Post nigh on 10 years ago.

I think it's okay to not have it in spoilertext.

Brad

:rant:Just because you don't like the Yuuzahn Vong arc, doesn't mean you should leave spoilers unmasked.

Cheewbacca got punked
The New Jedi Order books were published between 10 and 6 years ago (1999 through 2003), and nothing you called a spoiler in that post is less than 8 years old (Star By Star, with the Fall of Coruscant, was from 2001). Is a decade-old novel really something we need spoiler protection for?

I could understand if it was still in production, like plot twists of what just came out for Star Wars: Legacy or the Fate of the Jedi series (heck, even Legacy of the Force is kinda new, I specifically left out a couple of whoppers of plot events from those in my post, I mentioned the fall of Jacen Solo because that was so hyped up, Starwars.com even had a poll to let fans choose what his Darth name would be, they chose "Caedus" so it was used in the novels), but New Jedi Order was finishing right as D&D 3.5 came out, it isn't current events or even close.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You just reminded me why I don't read movie tie-ins. Sounds awful - you have my sympathies. :)

Sounds like the movies are a fairly trivial skirmish in that universe.

Dire Bare

Legend
I think you're mostly right, that Star Wars has gone a bit overboard. I'm certainly a bit burnt out.

I like the Knights of the Old Republic era (I've only played the games and purchased the Saga rulebook), as it does let you tell a similar story, although not exactly the same, as the movies . . . but without all the baggage.

I like the Legacy era (100 years after the movies), for pretty much the same reasons as I like KOTOR (I've been reading the graphic novels).

I think that each of these eras are definitely Star Wars, but do provide a somewhat different dynamic than the originals.

But all the crap that happens after the movies (and before Legacy) is too much. How many times does Luke and friends have to save the galaxy before they can just retire on some nice planet? And I too, hated the Vong.

But, I only pay close attention to the two eras I mentioned above, and no longer obsessively collect novels, comics, and other EU materials. Saves me money and there is still good Star Wars stuff out there.

Orius

Legend

The Thrawn Trilogy rocks. Zahn wrote three novels that really captured the feel of the original trilogy well, nade good use of existing characters, and introduced several EU characters that reamin popular. Some of the immediate followups were pretty good, both Bakura and Courtship aren't bad, but not as good as Thrawn. The Jedi Academy, not as good, which is unfortunate, because it's an important part of the storyline. Problem is that KJA seems to like idiotically comical villains, and it does not follow Thrawn very well. He also likes stuff that just feels absurdly silly which is a shame, because he's got some good ideas too (like the scene early in Darksaber where Luke tells Han about the culture of the Sand People).

Those first two were pretty forgettable, and with Lucas making the Jedi more or less celibate in the prequels, Children of the Jedi doesn't really fit into canon in a way that makes much sense. Doesn't bother me, because that book was boring as hell. It could be totally ignored if it wasn't for all the stuff with Callisto which KJA continued in Darksaber. Darksaber itself wasn't too bad, but it unfortunately had more silly villains. And Daala was once again written badly. It's hard to believe she's supposed to be some sort of master tactician when she consistantly blunders as she does, but she is better than the ridiculous Imperial warlords that appear in the book.

I haven't gotten that far into the timeline. I kind of lost track of EU about 10 years ago, and it doesn't help the stuff is scattered across a number of different books, comics, and whatever else. The furthest I actually read was the Corellian trilogy, and the latest books I have are the disappointing Black Fleet Crisis trilogy. I say disappointing, because they had a lot of potential, the villain were more serious, but the story was structured badly, particularly in the second book. The Lando/Lobot/droids storyline really dragged on far too long.

I'd have to actually read some of the stuff. I'm trying to look back at what I know of the post-Jedi EU as a whole instead of the individual books/trilogies/series. Maybe it's not too bad, considering the storyline from Menace onwards:

The Galaxy goes through a long civil war from the Clone Wars until the several years after Jedi when the New Republic finally emerges. This war lasts about a generation or so. Even as the Imperial remnants become less powerful and the New Republic becomes more stable, people are mistrustful of a strong powerful government from all of the abuses committed by the Empire. Because of this, they're unprepared for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion when it does take place. The devastation from these wars is so great that the galaxy has yet to rebuild, and estblish as lasting government. The Legacy Era takes place, what about 100 years after Jedi? It's not too unreasonable to assume that galactic civilization is still going to be pretty messy after just a century. Honestly, I've always found the whole 25,000 lifespan of the Galactic Republic (and the 100,000 years of completely urbanized Coruscant) a bit hard to swallow, but I kind of just ignore it to enjoy the universe as a whole. Possibly the EU does descend into dreck as the years go by though.

I don't know if "Chewbacca dies" is a huge spoiler, given how much fan rage has been vented about it over the years. I've never read the NJO books, but it didn't stop me from making this crack:

Ok, here's one for you then. :)

Anakin: "Yes, someone close, someone I care for."

Yoda: "Attachment leads to the Dark Side, do not mourn those we lose, do not miss them."

Later on...

Yoda: "Miss you, I will, Chewbacca."

:confused:

I loved the movie, btw, that line just confused me a bit. :)

Maybe Yoda had just read those New Jedi Order books... *ducks*

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
The NJO is why I just chuck Vector Prime and anything after it out the window when planning Star Wars RPG campaigns; they just don't exist in my continuity. I would have much preferred if the authors had been allowed to create new characters and stories instead of screwing with the Heroes of the Rebellion who SHOULD have been able to retire in peace and live happily ever after.

Timothy Zahn's books are the best the EU has to offer, in my opinion. He really has the feel of Star Wars down. After him, I think Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston did the best work with the X-Wing and Wraith Squadron series. It was really a breath of fresh air to read about adventures from people who weren't related to the Solos or the Skywalkers.

I also proclaim in my version of the Universe that the Emperor died in the Death Star at the Battle of Endor, and stayed dead, gosh darn it!

Last edited:

Remove ads