Pathfinder 1E [MERGED] Pathfinder forum complaint threads

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't like to complain about things here, since Morrus and the admins/mods do us a service running the site (and do a bang up job of it too! :D), but I have a concern today. Please take this as a comment rather than a criticism.

Namely, it seems to me like all Pathfinder discussion has been shut off in its own ghetto of sorts. Like the news page says, it's convenient to find everything, but I'm not sure why some of the threads aren't still in General RPG Discussion when I compare to 4e threads. I'm not saying the mods are biased --- I've actually always voted for "balanced" when the various edition war polling threads have come up --- but if
Now that Pathfinder is out, is anyone giving their setting a try?
goes in a specific Pathfinder forum, why don't
what do you do when a +3 bloodclaw weapon is more powerful than a +4 artifact
and
Slow combats
and
4E Campaign Announcement Time/Date
and all the Dungeon/Dragon/DDI/4e rules preview threads end up in a 4e-specific forum? In particular, that last thread I linked seems quite thematically similar to the Pathfinder thread I linked just from the title --- being about settings and all. I know this is likely just due to the timing of when these threads showed up, but it could look like inconsistent treatment.

Anyway, it's just an observation and comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this and if anything should be done. Should we report both Pathfinder and 4e threads in the General RPG Discussion forum to be moved to a more specific forum?

Thanks! And thanks again for EN World!

Wicht

Hero
Should this Forum be renamed?

I logged on this morning and found that the Pathfinder threads had been shunted off into their own private forum. While on the one hand I think this suggests that Pathfinder has a lot of support, enough hopefully to drive its own little forum, it also seems a little strange. Is there a Call of Cthulhu forum? A Toon forum? A True20 Forum? Have I just missed these? I get the feeling that someone complained the Pathfinder threads were dropping the 4e threads off the front page of the General Forum and management responded. If the only threads allowed in the General RPG forum are about WotC products, maybe it should no longer be labeled as being the General RPG Discussion Forum.

I don't really relish the edition wars but segregation does not seem to me the best way to handle the divide.

Wicht

Hero
One more quick thought as a long time reader of the general forum.

It has always been a place to me where I felt I could get a feel for what others were playing or doing. As a member of the gaming community, I recognize that not everyone games the same but we still have more in common than not, regardless of our game or edition. I don't play 4e, never have, probably never will, but I still am interested in what the 4e gamers are thinking and doing. By seperating each game system into its own little corner though, I'm less likely to read about other systems, less likely to be encouraged to try something a little new or different just because I am more likely to just go to my one corner on my way through ENWorld.

Herschel

Adventurer
Pathfinder should have it's own forum, especially this week. There's no room for Pathfinder threads mingled with 4E and general threads this week, and maybe not most others. If they stayed together, there would likely be numerous repeat threads as they would cycle off teh front page too quickly or, even worse, good threads that just get missed because they cycle too quickly. Most people can't spend all day on here and just have a few minutes at a time to look.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Well, I for one am still a bit sore that the General DND Discussion, got rolling it with the General 3rd party discussion and our old 3rd party forum got moved to a rules only form.

So I kinda agree with you, but kinda opposite, I wish they'd done more than seperate pathfinder, wish they'd seperated everything.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I am a little wierded out by it. I get that it makes it easier to find Pathfinder threads, but just a few weeks ago there was an idea floated around for a "Pathfinder" tag on threads.

I mean, there's more than the first page of General to look at!

But where I'd like to see a lot of different games get discussed in General, it now just seems to be the place for 4e and "anything else that isn't popular enough to get it's own forum." ;)

I dunno. I don't think there's malice here, but it did kind of raise my eyebrows. Shrug.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Kind of wierd. I mean, we don't put all the 4E threads in the 4E forum even though it has its own...

I agree with the idea of the Pathfinder tag.

Obryn

Hero
I think Morrus made the new forum because several people were pretty vocal about wanting a separate Pathfinder forum. I suppose there weren't enough people who disagreed before it was done? :)

I'd like to see something like how 3e and 4e work - that is, most of the general stuff stays here, but anything that's rules-specific gets shunted off to its own forum. I think that may even be the intent - but when you're starting a new sub-forum, you might err on the side of moving too much stuff.

-O

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd like to see something like how 3e and 4e work - that is, most of the general stuff stays here, but anything that's rules-specific gets shunted off to its own forum. I think that may even be the intent - but when you're starting a new sub-forum, you might err on the side of moving too much stuff.

I'd be down with that -- specific mechanical stuff gets off to the side, but buzz, products, conversation in general, etc. stays here.

I wanna know what people are doing with PF, but another click is so much work. :p

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I have to ask about the new Pathfinder forum too - why so soon? There are barely two pages of Pathfinder threads, most of which haven't been active for a few weeks. Also, it's the release week for the game and GenCon as well - General is where these discussions should be. There was also a recent request for a Pathfinder forum where the mods replied that it was a possibility down the road, but wasn't really warranted yet - it seems their reasoning has now been ignored.

Don't get me wrong - I think in the long run this is a great idea (and thank you for setting this up and providing this forum), but the timing seems a little off.

Remove ads