Awakened Animal PCs

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Helping Theroc out on his Werewolf Druid build got me thinking...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd-edition-rules/260394-werewolf-druid-building-advice.html

Here is a suggestion that is both inside and outside of the box, and is entirely within the limitations of your list of sourcebooks. And it really has an old-school, legendary, mythological feel to it.

Ask to play PC whose class is Druid and whose race is "Awakened Wolf."

Awaken :: d20srd.org

IOW, your PC is a wolf who has been subject to the Druidic spell, Awaken, and for whatever reason, are no longer in that caster's direct service.

Though this wolf is now on his own, he has picked up the study of the Druidic way, in honor of the one who opened his mind to an entirely new way of looking at things.

Now, since your type would be "Magical Beast" you could not be anyone's animal companion, etc., but that doesn't mean you couldn't pose as one. Your own animal companion could even be a packmate (your older brother or sister?), or perhaps another animal like one of those oddball pairings we see in so many internet photos.

"Why does that Owl always perch on that Wolf, Mister?" they'd ask of your fellow PCs.

As you'd level, eventually you might gain the ability to adopt a more humanoid form...in a sense, you won't be a werewolf, you'd be a wolfwere.

What about other creative PC builds could you do with an Awakened Animal PC? Yes, I know "anything you could do with a regular PC."

But I mean, what kinds of builds can you think of that just come to life with an awakened animal PC as the underlying race?

For instance, simply applying the Multiheaded template to an Awakened Wolf gives you a "Cerberus" vibe, and Pyro gets you a "Hellhound."

Going a different route for the "bad doggie" would be making the Wolf a Sorcerer and giving it the Infernal Heritage feat, followed by Infernal Sorcerer's shout. "WOOF!"

So, whattaya got?

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Cast Awaken on a 'black' bear... and call him Baloo, and put him under the tutelage of a Bard to teach him the "Bear necessities"... ;)

Sorry, couldn't help the mention, lol.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I did that with Kappas, once...

But that's pretty cool, nonetheless!

Better make them Alligator Snapping Turtles, though.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Getting off the blatant rip-offs of existing concepts....

How about a Dire Tortoise* Iajutsu Master?

*Or whatever it's called, from Sandstorm. It can never be surprised.

Theroc

First Post
An Awakened tiger or Dire Tiger who took levels in scout could have apretty wicked charge.

+Nd6, +nAC?
I believe with a pounce that'd make 5 attacks [(2d4+8)+nd6]*4, (2d6+4)+Nd6.

Plus then improved grab if it wants, to keep a hold and just keep mauling, or it could retreat and attempt a second charge.

Unless I'm mistaken and the Pounce wouldn't allow multiple applications of the skirmish bonus(though, from what I've read, it states that bonus is applied to ALL attacks melee or ranged during that round.)

Edit Note: My knowledge of Charging builds is pretty much zero, so this might be small piddlies to you guys.

Remove ads