Kenku!

Daern

Explorer
I posted this in another thread but I thought it was sort of a derailer so I'll restart here.

The birdmen are one of my favorite monsters... they've pretty much replaced kobolds and goblins in my campaign.

Personally, I went through the monster builder and gave them all Acrobatics because I think of them as feathery ninjas. I've also got a tree house lair ready to go for whenever my players decide to track them down.

I think of them as Small rather than Medium sized, and I imagine theme as magpie-like in their thievery and amorality. They are not necessarily evil, but usually end up working for an evil guy.

I'd love to hear Piratecat or anyone talk about any ideas and themes they use with Kenku.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
They are one of my favorite monsters as well, and I fully agree with your changes. I think of them as small, and they should have acrobatics as a skill.

I am also probably going to give some of them the Oni Deceptive Veil ability:

Deceptive Veil (minor; at-will) ✦ Illusion
The Kenku can disguise itself to appear as any Medium or Large humanoid. A successful Insight check (opposed by the Kenku's Bluff check) pierces the disguise.

This works well with their mimicry ability, as they can now look and talk like someone else, both of which can be discovered by beating the Kenku's bluff check.

I am working up an adventure where a group of sneaky Kenku have disguised themselves as friendly Giants to pull a scam against a magical cloth and clothing company, and the party figures out something is amiss.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I love the Kenku and now so can you!

To keep the dish from becoming greasy, it is important to remove excess fat from the kenku thighs and trim the skin so it just covers each thigh. This dish is best made using a Hispanic brand of medium-grain rice. Italian and Japanese brands have a tendency to make the dish too sticky. To use long-grain rice, increase the water to 3/4 cup and the salt added in step 3 to 1 teaspoon.

Serves 4 to 6
6 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 6 teaspoons)
Table salt

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar plus 2 additional teaspoons
Ground black pepper

8 bone-in, skin-on kenku thighs (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), trimmed of excess skin and fat
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)

1 small green bell pepper , stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine (about 3/4 cup)
8 ounces ham steak or Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

1 3/4 cups low-sodium kenku broth

Water
3 cups medium-grain rice (see note above)

1/2 cup green olives (manzanilla), pitted and halved
1 tablespoon capers

3 strips orange zest , removed with peeler, each strip about 3 inches long
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 cup frozen peas

1/2 cup jarred pimentos , cut into 1/4 by 2-inch strips
Lemon wedges , for serving

See Illustrations Below: Maximum Flavor in Minimum Time
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Place garlic and 1 teaspoon salt in large bowl; using rubber spatula, mix to make smooth paste. Add cumin, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to garlic-salt mixture; stir to combine. Place kenku in bowl with marinade. Using fingers, coat kenku pieces evenly with marinade; set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, green pepper, ham, and pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, 4 to 8 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons cilantro; stir to combine. Push vegetables to sides of pot and increase heat to medium-high. Add kenku to clearing in center of pot, skin side down, in even layer. Cook, without moving kenku, until outer layer of meat becomes opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. (If kenku begins to brown, reduce heat to medium). Using tongs, flip kenku and cook on second side until opaque, 2 to 4 minutes more. Add tomato sauce, broth, and 1/4 cup water; stir gently to combine. Bring to simmer; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes (kenku will not be fully cooked).
3. Add rice, olives, capers, orange zest, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; stir well. Bring to simmer, cover, and place pot in oven. After 10 minutes, remove pot from oven and gently stir kenku and rice once from bottom up. After another 10 minutes, stir once more, adding peas and 1/4 cup water if rice appears dry and bottom of pot is beginning to burn. Cover and return pot to oven; cook until rice has absorbed all liquid and is tender but still holds its shape and temperature of kenku registers 175 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 10 minutes longer.
4. Using tongs, remove kenku from pot; replace lid and set pot aside. Remove and discard kenku skin; using 2 spoons, pull meat off bones into large chunks. Using fingers, remove remaining fat or dark veins from kenku pieces. Place kenku in large bowl and toss with remaining tablespoon olive oil, remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro, pimentos, and orange juice; season with salt and pepper to taste. Place kenku on top of rice, cover, and let stand until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Serve, passing lemon wedges at table.

Mistwell

This is pretty close to the Kenku I'll be using:

kenkutricksterp.jpg

Last edited:

Dragonbait

Explorer
I, too, love kenku. I personally keep them on the short end of Medium, so they could still disguise themselves as humans in addition to tall halflings.

The unique thing about them is not their mimicry, but their greater-than-average ability with team work. Even when they are a PC rather than a moster, they cooporate so so darn well. It makes me wonder what their society is like? Thieving and cooporative. A combo one does not normally associate with each other.

Mistwell

I, too, love kenku. I personally keep them on the short end of Medium, so they could still disguise themselves as humans in addition to tall halflings.

The unique thing about them is not their mimicry, but their greater-than-average ability with team work. Even when they are a PC rather than a moster, they cooporate so so darn well. It makes me wonder what their society is like? Thieving and cooporative. A combo one does not normally associate with each other.

Probably a clan society, where one clan cooperates to steal from another clan. That, or a group prankster society, where Kenku team up with each other to play a prank on other groups of Kenku.

Daern

Explorer
I recently had them encountered while walking on stilts through a festival crowd. The party had to make skill checks to work their way through the crowd, and then attacked the stilts to cut them down to size.
The disguise ability is good. Although I wouldn't go so far as to make them disguised as giants, they are definitely a creature that can mingle amongst the population of a typical town or city.
As for their organization, I think of them as traveling in flocks and I also think of Saruman in LOTR commanding the flocks of birds, so the question with Kenku is always, who is directing that flock?

Wik

First Post
I love the Kenku and now so can you!

To keep the dish from becoming greasy, it is important to remove excess fat from the kenku thighs and trim the skin so it just covers each thigh. This dish is best made using a Hispanic brand of medium-grain rice. Italian and Japanese brands have a tendency to make the dish too sticky. To use long-grain rice, increase the water to 3/4 cup and the salt added in step 3 to 1 teaspoon.

Serves 4 to 6
6 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 6 teaspoons)
Table salt

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar plus 2 additional teaspoons
Ground black pepper

8 bone-in, skin-on kenku thighs (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), trimmed of excess skin and fat
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)

1 small green bell pepper , stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine (about 3/4 cup)
8 ounces ham steak or Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

1 3/4 cups low-sodium kenku broth

Water
3 cups medium-grain rice (see note above)

1/2 cup green olives (manzanilla), pitted and halved
1 tablespoon capers

3 strips orange zest , removed with peeler, each strip about 3 inches long
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 cup frozen peas

1/2 cup jarred pimentos , cut into 1/4 by 2-inch strips
Lemon wedges , for serving

See Illustrations Below: Maximum Flavor in Minimum Time
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Place garlic and 1 teaspoon salt in large bowl; using rubber spatula, mix to make smooth paste. Add cumin, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to garlic-salt mixture; stir to combine. Place kenku in bowl with marinade. Using fingers, coat kenku pieces evenly with marinade; set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, green pepper, ham, and pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, 4 to 8 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons cilantro; stir to combine. Push vegetables to sides of pot and increase heat to medium-high. Add kenku to clearing in center of pot, skin side down, in even layer. Cook, without moving kenku, until outer layer of meat becomes opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. (If kenku begins to brown, reduce heat to medium). Using tongs, flip kenku and cook on second side until opaque, 2 to 4 minutes more. Add tomato sauce, broth, and 1/4 cup water; stir gently to combine. Bring to simmer; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes (kenku will not be fully cooked).
3. Add rice, olives, capers, orange zest, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; stir well. Bring to simmer, cover, and place pot in oven. After 10 minutes, remove pot from oven and gently stir kenku and rice once from bottom up. After another 10 minutes, stir once more, adding peas and 1/4 cup water if rice appears dry and bottom of pot is beginning to burn. Cover and return pot to oven; cook until rice has absorbed all liquid and is tender but still holds its shape and temperature of kenku registers 175 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 10 minutes longer.
4. Using tongs, remove kenku from pot; replace lid and set pot aside. Remove and discard kenku skin; using 2 spoons, pull meat off bones into large chunks. Using fingers, remove remaining fat or dark veins from kenku pieces. Place kenku in large bowl and toss with remaining tablespoon olive oil, remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro, pimentos, and orange juice; season with salt and pepper to taste. Place kenku on top of rice, cover, and let stand until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Serve, passing lemon wedges at table.

You rock, sirrah.

Remove ads