Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Bestiary Preview II

Starsunder

Explorer
I should note... monsters in the PFRPG are not "easy" or "fast" to create. I don't consider "easy" and "fast" to be selling points for creating gaming material. That role is and should be filled by things like the simple templates, or by the fact that a GM prepares for the game before play begins... having been a GM for decades, I've actually always believed that building the game is just as fun (and is often MORE fun) as it is to play the game.

The monster creation rules are detailed, and we show you everything under the hood so that folks can create monsters using the same guidelines we used, but we made no attempt to make the process super simple or fast. Logical and detailed were our goals. :)

Yes thank you! Soooooo glad that comprehensive monster creation rules are being provided.

Question: Do any of the flavor SLA's make it back into the Pathfinder Bestiary from the 3.0 MM? For instance, the Pit Fiend in 3.0 had Unhallow, which, although not useful in the middle of combat, had very interesting functions outside of combat, representing the fact that the Pit Fiend was a creature of pure evil, and could corrupt entire areas with a thought. Most of these were cut out from 3.5 sadly. It'd be great to have em back.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Yes thank you! Soooooo glad that comprehensive monster creation rules are being provided.

Question: Do any of the flavor SLA's make it back into the Pathfinder Bestiary from the 3.0 MM? For instance, the Pit Fiend in 3.0 had Unhallow, which, although not useful in the middle of combat, had very interesting functions outside of combat, representing the fact that the Pit Fiend was a creature of pure evil, and could corrupt entire areas with a thought. Most of these were cut out from 3.5 sadly. It'd be great to have em back.

In some cases, yes, we adjusted SLAs a bit here and there. There are options supported for a pit fiend that can have a VERY customized set of spell like abilities in particular.

BryonD

Hero
I should note... monsters in the PFRPG are not "easy" or "fast" to create. I don't consider "easy" and "fast" to be selling points for creating gaming material. That role is and should be filled by things like the simple templates, or by the fact that a GM prepares for the game before play begins... having been a GM for decades, I've actually always believed that building the game is just as fun (and is often MORE fun) as it is to play the game.
I suddenly have an urge to put $1 bills in your garter.

I should note... monsters in the PFRPG are not "easy" or "fast" to create. I don't consider "easy" and "fast" to be selling points for creating gaming material....
I didn't express myself clearly, Yes PfRPG has the detailed monster creation that is a hallmark of 3E but having this as well means if I am in a bind (time wise) or just want to whack an off-the-cuff monster onto the battlemat mid-game I have something to hang my hat on. Just like the 4E expected monster damage tables etc.

having your in game guesstimates supported by hard facts makes a hell of a difference :)

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Will the Bestiary be OGL? That is, will it be in the Pathfinder Reference Document? I want to buy the book, but I may not be able to for a while, but I would at least like to be able to look over the monsters.

Remove ads