Valley of the Dead: Chapter 1 "A gathering of heroes"

Theroc

First Post
"Well met Alevyth Balwer. So then, there are the inner workings of the order, that are not to be shared with outsiders. But i can tell you that serving Lathander is like nothing i have ever had the chance to experience. The Morninglord is gracious and benevolent, and our faith encourages brave new beginnings, optimism, competitive sports, beauty and art. I have met many fine men and women while traveling with the Order, and Lazarus-" Alevyth suppressed a frown at the distant look. It appeared the woman was quite smitten with the man. He supposed he shouldn't have gotten interested as quickly as he had, though, perhaps in time he could compete with the fame of Lazarus, perhaps. "He is simply magnificent. I have never seen a finer warrior, nor a more refined and educated man. He is an inspired leader, with a wise judgment and a benevolent nature. And that sword of his, it is simply amazing..."

"So, you've met him then? I suppose I shall be meeting him shortly too, no doubt..." The youth replied softly, allowing himself to be lead along as he looked about. The cleric's mood seemed to brighten as he moved away. "So, how long have you served Lathander among his Paladin's, lady Adelaide? Your skill seems true to your name, I didn't even notice you behind me before I felt the point... I suppose I should train my ears a bit better... a guardian who can be snuck past isn't much use, yes?" he chuckled softly, hoping he wasn't damaging the woman's view of him, not that it would matter in the long run, from the looks of things. Then again, perhaps it was better this way. Many of religious bent found his more... natural talents a bit unnerving, some even went so far as to say unholy.

ethandrew

First Post
Looking at the priest cock-eyed for his abrupt turnaround in demeanor, Latham shrugs, "No, no Lich for me yet. But I'll let you know how it goes after this next one, show you the ropes." If the Enchanter was distracted by the thoughts of actually facing off with a Lich, whose undeniable power frightened and exhilarated him, he didn't show it too much. "And excuse me if I have little patience for paladins, I find them more insufferable than Priests."

cheshire_grin

First Post
Peth looks around and shrugs. "I'm not familiar with this area, but it seems the kind of place that could certainly house a bear or two," he admits. "Although I will agree with Thok that an orcish savage is more frightening than a relatively reasonable creature such as a bear." He looks completely serious, but there is a twinkle in his eye as glances at Merry.

His face taking on a puzzled expression, he looks at Jill again. "I have been puzzling and puzzling over it, Jill, but how did Tatters get into those bushes in the first place?" He points through the bridge's railing at the bushes below and cocks his head curiously.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Nay, thee question be how to unite thy companion and her cherished possesion." Kye says, still wary of the half-orc.

"Thy rescue of Tatters still must be completed before any feasting to our heroism can begin. And bear is not comestible, and should be left off thy menu." The cleric says giving a grimace as he thinks of eating bear.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Bear tasty and makes fine pelts. You be fool, if not eat bear, bear eat you." States the half orc. He descends to the side of the river, intenting to retrieve the doll with his long arms. "Thok almost gots you..." he says as he streches out.

jager0727

First Post
"Surely he will brother Galen."
Sensalar notices the large man he had seen earlier carrying his grisly prizes, "May I ask a final question, friend, who is that man gathering the crowd so suddenly? I only ask, because such a man, might be of great service in an undertaking such as you and your fellows', and yet he seems to be a rival of sorts."
Sensalar takes special note of Galen's reply (OOC assuming one) and notes he may want to speak to the man himself before deciding the church would be the surest route to helping the town.
[sblock]
sense motive check for Galen's intent with the info he's giving about the man in the square (feelings, truthfulness etc.) (1d20+4=22)
[/sblock]

Myth and Legend

First Post
Jill scurries away with a scared yipe, when the large Half Orc smashes his gretsword in the bridge's wooden railing. Splinters fly everywhere and the wood crackles loudly, almost silencing the river running below for a moment.

Merry jumps between Thok and Jill, but when she sees he is simply making a point, she nods warily and grabs her little sister's hand. "Yes. Yes Orcs are very scary, and there just might be some wandering around here with the militia patrolling around town only." However Jill is still largely impressed with Thok's weapon and seems to not be paying much heed to her sister's words, in stead watching the Half Orc with a mix of fascination and fear.

Before Merry can continue her triad, Peth asks a question and Jill shouts at Thok's remark: "I DID NOT THROW HIM! I DROPPED HIM ON THE GROUND! - the little girl stomps her tiny foot down with anger. - I'TS NOT MY FAULT!" She seems to be taking the matter of her losing Tatters very seriously, her face is now flushed with frustration and her little eyes are burning. The Orc has already headed down however, and as he reaches for the rag doll's ear, Jill screams in terror. "NO NO NO NO! DON"T TOUCH HIM!"

Her words come too late however, as the large Barbarian successfully swipes the toy from the thorny bush and is now holding the plush bunny by it's lef ear.

Jill tries to run towards Thok, but Merry is holding her hand tightly and shaking her head with disappointment: "I mean seriously, you are eight already. Try to at least cut back on the yelling if you want to become a real lady one day!" Merry is adamant and does not let her little sister run over towards Thok, despite the little one's fearsome efforts.

Apart from Jill's whining and squirming in her sister's grasp, nothing seems to be happening. Tatters is, as far as Thok and the others can tell, nothing more than a rag doll in the shape of a humanoid rabbit, that was once white but is now quite dirty and stitched up. The doll dangles by one of it's long ears in the Half Orc's grasp, as it would be expected of an inanimate object.

The air is now getting very cold, as the sun hides behind a heavy gray cloud up above. The world dulls in light and color as the storm clouds overtake the Eastern parts of the horizon, and thunder echoes far to the North.

[sblock] Everyone a listen check if you will. Kye and Peth can make a Spot as well. [/sblock]

Adelaide smiles and turns her green eyes towards Alevyth, her delicate features now quite lovely when the lad can stop his gaze on them for more than a second.

"Well of course i have met him - Lazarus is quite the leader, he knows everyoone of us and reguraly trains with us, gives us pointers and even helps us with the studies of the faith. I myself have been a Paladin for a year and a half, much to my father's dismay. - Adelaide giggles with a pleasant ringing laugh. - He does not want his little girl jumping in the heart of danger i suppose. And i thank you for the praise, although i reckon the blindness and the noise around you made you an easy mark, rather than me being as skilled as you say. - At the lad's commend she grins and replies with enthusiasm - But how does one train one's ears to become sharper? Come now, let us go inside."

Adelaide leads Alevyth inside the cathedral, where the main hall is now being occupied by priests and other followers of Lathander. The Paladins have already brought in some of the other troublemakers, although most are receiving care at the hands of the clergy, rather than standing on their own feet. The hall is large, very tall and well light, with intricate stained glass windows and very ornate wooden and gold furniture. The ceilings have been painted by an artist with sublime skill, and display images of religious nature, as well as the sun itself in the middle.

The golden altar is currently unoccupied, and Lazarus can be seen to the side, talking to some of his men, and the female Paladin stops Alevyrh next to the pathway and stands still, waiting for further instruction.

Ferviel puts on a serious face. "Hmph! Well i have fought one, last year, at the other side of the country. He was plaguing a local community, apparently he was doing some research on mass Domination effects on a continental wide scale. He took two of my oldest friends with him to the other side. They were so mangled up, one of them was unwilling to be resurrected. - the Cleric pauses his monologue and steers Latham inside the Cathedral. - It's Paladins or me putting you in the dungeons below with a Dimensional Lock spell on your arse, that will last much longer than you'd like."

The Cleric seems serious, although now that Latham has talked to him for a while, he can tell that Ferviel is not very keen on the prospect of being here either.

Galen stares at the approaching group for a moment, before answering. "This is Bran Bloodmane he is the local Ranger, or so i have heard. His heart is in the right place, even if he is quite the hotheaded troublemaker. He is also a fearsome warrior. His manners however, are lacking, and he completely disregards the law of the land, and Lathander and His dogma."

Galen pauses, and grips the hilt of his sword. The handle seems plain, in large contrast with his bright red armour. "Two days ago he beat several of the town guards to a pulp, because they had rightfully apprehended an urchin caught stealing. Although they had decided to take it upon themselves to punish the child, instead of bringing him to the magistrate, it was ultimately still the lawful thing to do. We have remained neutral so far, despite Captain Rickard's please for us to apprehend Bran. This - he points towards the severed heads on the pole that seem to be dangling in the distance. - I have no idea what that is."
The large Ranger and his ram make their way and are at the edge of the cathedral square, the two crowds now almost merging together. Shouts and cries can be heard from everywhere, as the people can clearly see the disembodied zombie heads now.
[sblock=Sense Motive]Senslar's inner feelings tell him that the other Paladin is telling the truth, and that his overall feelings towards the Ranger are mixed. When he mentions his good heart and strength of arm, Galen seems approving, but the unlawfulness of the Ranger makes the young Paladin resume his reserved tone.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
"Well of course i have met him - Lazarus is quite the leader, he knows everyoone of us and reguraly trains with us, gives us pointers and even helps us with the studies of the faith. I myself have been a Paladin for a year and a half, much to my father's dismay." As Adelaide giggled, Alevyth couldn't help be crack a slightly bigger smile as well. He tried to avoid looking at her too long, lest he end up staring in an awkward fashion. As she continued, Alevyth nodded. He also considered requesting a bit of an exchange of knowledge with the wizened Paladin, perhaps they could both learn something. After all, Alevyth knew he needed to hone his skills further so as to protect other from any malefactor.

"He does not want his little girl jumping in the heart of danger i suppose. And I thank you for the praise, although i reckon the blindness and the noise around you made you an easy mark, rather than me being as skilled as you say."

"Perhaps a mix of the two. Perhaps the Vigilant one of the Broken God did not wish my further efforts towards the task at hand, seeing your apprehension a more favorable result. As for your father's worry, I believe I can empathize with him... I serve Ilmater in my way because I dislike to see people needlessly suffer."

"But how does one train one's ears to become sharper? Come now, let us go inside."

"Mayhap Ilmater or Helm will help me in that endeavor, so that I may better protect the land." As she urged him inside, Alevyth went without any fuss, smiling somewhat pleasantly as he stood by her, waiting much as she was, though his eyes were keenly attempting to gather as much information as he could while he waited.

[sblock=OOC]
Should I roll any sort of spot or listen checks for info while I wait?[/sblock]

jager0727

First Post
"I think I understand, though we must trust that in difficult times a good heart may be more useful than a steady temper. After all, is it not said my enemie's enemy can be counted a friend? Perhaps his rashness may be forgiven in such a tense atmosphere. For now I thank you for your help and will be joining the others inside."
Sensalar nods to Galen and begins striding toward the crowd gathering to enter the temple.

[sblock]listen check in case you meant everyone, if not, no harm no foul I guess B-)
1d20+10=29 [/sblock]

Remove ads