Valley of the Dead: Chapter 1 "A gathering of heroes"

cheshire_grin

First Post
Peth sighs inaudibly; naturally the girl had paid no attention to being told to stay put.

He strains his eyes and ears, scanning the underside of the bridge carefully and trying to listen over the distracting drumming of Kye's boots on the wooden bridge. Fortunately, his eyes and ears still seemed to benefit from the odd clarity that had come upon them so suddenly while they were walking.

[sblock=OOC]
Er, I sort of... misunderstood the invisiblecastle die roller (I've never tried to do multiple rolls at once before). I figure I'll just use the first three rolls and ignore the other 6? :p

Listen Check: 1d20+7 = 22
Search Check: 1d20+10 = 28
Spot Check: 1d20+7 = 17

Oh, and I forgot the +2 bonus was to Int/Wis/Cha, not directly to the skills, so take 1 point off each of those -- 21/27/16 respectively. Sorry, I was distracted today. :(
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"There be no powder ye can use against me White Lady!" Kye shouts through his visor. He takes and puts his guantlet over his heart the eye on the back of it starts to pulse a pale blue as he prays. "Thy servant is in need to do thy will, protect this body from arms so it may wield thy fist agianst the evil of this world." The light from the holy symbol grows and surronds the holy warrior before fading away. Raising his head Kye looks about for anything that might be a miss.

[sblock=actions] listen=8, search=18 spot=23 move action i guess

casts protection from energy(cold) standard action duration 80 mins or until protected from 96 points of cold damage [/sblock]

[sblock=stats]
HP: 72/72
AC: 23 T:11 FF: 22
Speed: 20'
Init: +1
Fort: +7
Reflex: +3
Will: +9 [/sblock]

[sblock=spells]
0 level: Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic
1 level: Bless, Bless, Cure Light Wounds(1d8+5), Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, d= Enlarge Person
2 level: Bull's Strength, Spiritual Weapon, Make Whole, Remove Paralysis, d= Bull's Strength
3 level: Prayer, Cure Serious Wounds(3d8+8), Invisiblity Purge, Dispel Magic, d= Protection from Energy
4 level: Divine Power, Magic Weapon;Greater, d= Spell Immunity

Turn undead = 11/11
Protictuve ward = 1/1
Feat of strength = 1/1
Metamagic rod = 3/3 [/sblock]

Last edited:

jager0727

First Post
Sensalar approaches the red plumed man standing in front of the podium taking names during the confusion, "Pardon sir, I am Sensalar, descended from Erykul, Half-avoral grandson of the Blessed Fields of Elyssium. Though I cannot pledge my service to the church of the Dawnbringers without further inquiry into the situation here, I am sure my goals coincide with those of the Morninglord in this place."
He pauses for a moment regrouping after using such unaccustomed formality.
"I wouldn't interrupt your duties friend, but, though I have traveled a great distance to investigate rumors of the blight upon your town, I believe I can be of better use to you in another way right now. You see, I have had a unique opportunity to view these proceedings and the resulting havoc from a very broad perpective. It is my hope that this will allow me to assist you in finding the cause of this," his arm sweeps out toward the lessening pandemonium in the crowd. "while preserving the forgiving and hopeful nature of your church, so as best to foster cooperation amongst all of these brave men in hindering the curse unleashed upon this city."

[sblock]
roll for knowledge(religion) to know this much (I think I stayed away from anything problematic but wanted to be safe), also does this give me a roll high enough to know that Lathander's paladins are the Order of Aster (heck let me know what this qualifies me to know about the church if it isn't too much trouble).
knowledge(religion check for Lathander and church (with IG bonus for Myth's B-Day (1d20+6=15) [/sblock]

Myth and Legend

First Post
Peth's calm and methodical nature yields impressive results, and soon the Archivist spots a dirty rag doll in the form of a long eared humanoid rabbit, stuck in a thorny bush on the other side of the shore.

Common sense would indicate that this should be the infamous Tatters, as this spot does not seem to be frequented by young children. It's not entirely clear how exactly Jill would have dropped it there, seeing as the shrubs are growing from the side of a cliff, hanging directly above the rapid flowing water.

The Gnome remains hidden at the base of the bridge, but is easily able to spot the odd couple coming from the distance - a young Human female and a large brutish man, that seems to have Orc blood in him. They are both walking at a calm pace and shouting Jill's name, and seem to be carefree and oblivious to the group on the bridge.

Above, on the wooden construction, the Cleric issues threats to what appears to be... nothing. Nevertheless he is vigilant, and easily spots the newcomers in the distance as well, although from the inside of his closed off helmet, he can hear them shouting something like "BIIILLL".

He is interrupted before discovering anything of importance on the bridge itself, apart from what seems to be a set of wet prints on the wooden railing, as if someone had gripped tightly while watching the river below. Curiously enough the sun shines directly on top of these marks, but they do not shrink or vanish.

Jill is very distracted and does not hear or see anything - it appears that she has found something small and furry worth chasing, and is now frantically laughing and running around the meadow on the East side of the bridge.

Thok and Merry continue on and almost stumble out of the clearing, before the girl puts her hand across Thok's belly and points. "See there? It's an armored man, standing on the bridge."

Curiously enough, her fingers linger a bit across the Barbarain's muscular abdomen, before Merry pulls her hand back.

The fight is still not quenched in full, and Alevyth is still right in the middle of it, plus the mob is shouting all around him as well, thus he could not hear the opponent rushing behind him, before the tip of the other's blade pokes him right at the back of the neck. Alevyth's natural reaction is to evade the thereat and face his opponent, but the other uses the position of power and does not let the lad squirm away. "Easy there killer. No sudden movement with your hidden blades now, it'd be a shame to bloody my sword against someone's back."

The voice belongs to a woman, that much is certain. A young woman at that, but also one that apparently keeps her sword quite sharp.

Latham is smart enough to realize that no Cleric would devote that much time in studying useless languages, and that Ferviel most probably has a permanent Tongues spell in effect on his person. Although the Wizard does not possess the means to detect the weaves of magic themselves, he can recognize the blue glow for what seems to be a permanent Detect Magic in effect as well, and thus draws his conclusions.

Ferviel seems more sour than a bear with a bad toothache. His forehead is lined with wrinkles, as he growls: "Of course it did not affect the Paladins you damn shameless heathen, it affected that bunch of idiots who are fighting over there! See, they are now blind thanks to you and can't react to the imminent danger of armed men of the faith coming at them. Instead of the mob dispersing and the interlopers submitting without a fight, the Paladins now have to smite them! But seeing as how i have to explain this to you it seems i have overestimated your Wizardly intellect. Now move." He shoves Latham in front of himself and directs him towards the podium where Lazarus still stands.

The man in the red armour turns towards Senslar with an approving stare coming from below his sealed helmet. His eyes are blue and give out a sense of calm strength. "Well met noble warrior. I am Galen of the Seven Lakes. In truth we need capable men, as i have a duty to protect my own and return our warriors alive and safe back to their homes after this mission is over. More than half of our brethren are young, noble born lads that follow Lathander's ways for the sake of new endeavors and happy adventures. - the man shakes his head, the plumage on his helmet following with a lazy sweep above. - and now master Lazarus is taking such rabble along with us, which makes my job twice as hard."

It is apparent that the rabble he is referring to is the group of men fighting, although by now most if not all of the aggressors have been subdued, one way or another. "I am not one to judge on this matter, but i will raise your position as a witness to master Lazarus and Dawnbringer Ferviel. Tell me now, what skills do you possess that can be of use to this most holy Crusade?" it is apparent that the last question is more protocol oriented, as the man grabs a quill and a parchment, his hands curiously dexterous in the mail clad gauntlets. [sblock] With a check of 15 feel free to read the entry on Lathander in Faiths and Pantheons, as a higher roll will give you specific info on the leaders, Priests, artifacts etc. You do know about the Order of Aster, although not much besides their dogma.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thok watches the woman's gestures for an odd long time. He then blinks and turns his head to see what was the young human speaking off. Frowning, Thok spots a man in shiny armor, standing on the bridge, "guardingly".
The barbarian's nostrils widen a bit. "Thok goes first, you stay few steps back. You do the talking though, Thok doesn't give nice first impressions." he offers before striding right to the bridge, with his massive greatsword hanging from his shoulders.

Theroc

First Post
In the din of battle, Alevyth's peripheral senses failed him. He felt a presence behind him, but just before he could whirl to face it, he felt a point press against the joint between the man's helm and breastplate, near his spine.

"Easy there killer. No sudden movement with your hidden blades now, it'd be a shame to bloody my sword against someone's back."

"I am not one you need worry over, woman! Do I look like a common thug to you! I'm here to stop this senseless bloodshed!"

Notably however, Alevyth did not make any sudden moves, though he remained at the ready to move swiftly should he feel an opportunity, to extricate himself from the blinding dust which obscures his vision, making proper combat impossible. He briefly considered making use of his... natural talents, be decided such would be wholly foolish, given the aversions many have to such talents. Should a blow be struck toward him that he can predict, the Paladin would attempt to interpose his shield between himself and the oncoming attack, but he would not move.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Harken Master Gnome," Kye says over the edge of the bridge. "Tis beams (seems) we have others joining us." He announces before turning back towards the unique markings on the bridge's railing, while keeping an eye on the approaching "couple".

jager0727

First Post
"At present I can only offer my unique perspective on the happenings here, but I assure you I share the views of The Morninglord's church toward the blasphemy of unlife and, should I decide that your crusade is the most worthy option in combating their scourge here, I will happily ally myself with you."
Sensalar stares a moment toward the paladin still at the podium a moment, searching his memory for what he remembers of the church of Lathander and trying to recall the name of their order and noting it for later use.
"As for my qualifications, as I said, I come from the line of a great champion of good, and as such, have spent my life serving the ideals he did in life. Most of my life has been spent using the powers granted me by the natural world itself to foster harmony between the land and the races that live upon it. As of late, I have spent some time in special training to combat the risen dead with the church of Pelor, as I many of my kin are in the service of The Shining One. Though not a follower of Lathander or Pelor in particualr, I believe the followers of these two faiths are not unfriendly to one another and myself respect them as lights of the natural world and foes of the undead."
A slightly tense smirk crosses the druid's face momentarily, "I have something of a fondness for ending that particular blasphemy"

cheshire_grin

First Post
Peth's exasperated, somewhat distracted voice floats up from beneath the bridge.

"I fear the subtleties of stealth may be lost on your forthright self. Nonetheless, the approaching pair seem to be looking for the youngling and are unlikely to be hostile. Try not to antagonize them."

"I have found Tatters," he adds after a moment. He does not approach the doll, but merely stands in the shadows, examining it and the area above it patiently, attempting to divine how it could have ended up where it did. "Perhaps we should call Jill, to let her know her friend is found and someone is looking for her."

Remove ads