Later core book printings

really, even the 3rd printing of the 3.5 PHB hardcover included errata. I held back buying it until i forgot why i waited. And a week later the book i just bought was replaced by one including errata. ;)

So what i really want to know: is the 3rd printing already in the shops?
first and second printing was quite embarrassing for WotC and if the print it again that would be a shame, since it is common habit to improve books with each release.

I hold off until march next year if it has to be... can someone owning a FLGS can look up if the books are still in their 2nd printing?

Jack99

Adventurer
really, even the 3rd printing of the 3.5 PHB hardcover included errata. I held back buying it until i forgot why i waited. And a week later the book i just bought was replaced by one including errata. ;)

So what i really want to know: is the 3rd printing already in the shops?
first and second printing was quite embarrassing for WotC and if the print it again that would be a shame, since it is common habit to improve books with each release.

I hold off until march next year if it has to be... can someone owning a FLGS can look up if the books are still in their 2nd printing?

Pretty sure they are in third or fourth run - but 4e print runs sold out much quicker than the previous editions, so that might explain why they are further along in the print runs with no errata yet? /shrug

Aus_Snow

First Post
Or maybe CS is #¤%&/()= clueless, as always?
That is, in fact, one of the options I gave in the post you snipped in such a petty, insulting, inaccurate way. Or, should I say, 'usual WotC fanboi-ism'? Just, you know, to get even with you, my arch-nemesis? :lol:

I have no idea what the heck you believe gives you the right to be like that. Note, just for starters, that the edit re: sales was *painfully obviously* tongue-in-cheek. Yeesh. How could I have made it more obvious. I mean, really.

And preaching? Oh yah. What exactly was I trying to get people to believe again. . .? Hm. Well, *I* don't know (i.e., the answer is 'nothing'). So, you're doing well there, if you do! :erm:

Ugh.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Pretty sure they are in third or fourth run - but 4e print runs sold out much quicker than the previous editions, so that might explain why they are further along in the print runs with no errata yet? /shrug

I really wish that WotC followed SJ Games example and included printing information on the back cover and a way to track correction in each printing.

Jack99

Adventurer
That is, in fact, one of the options I gave in the post you snipped in such a petty, insulting, inaccurate way. Or, should I say, 'usual WotC fanboi-ism'? Just, you know, to get even with you, my arch-nemesis? :lol:

I have no idea what the heck you believe gives you the right to be like that. Note, just for starters, that the edit re: sales was *painfully obviously* tongue-in-cheek. Yeesh. How could I have made it more obvious. I mean, really.

And preaching? Oh yah. What exactly was I trying to get people to believe again. . .? Hm. Well, *I* don't know (i.e., the answer is 'nothing'). So, you're doing well there, if you do! :erm:

Ugh.

Considering the type of posts you make, you should have a thicker skin. But I have to admit that I did forget a ;) in the "quote" - I was just trying to keep it in the same tone as you did - light and fun and pretty obvious.

Apparently a smiley does wonders ;)

Primal

First Post
I personally hate having errata print-outs sticking between the pages, and I don't like to "damage" my books by doing it myself either (whether I'd be using a felt pen or a pencil).

All I'm saying is that if I participated in a 4E campaign, I wouldn't buy a PHB if it didn't include the errata (I'm not interested in DDi subscription under any circumstances, so it's not an option for me -- neither is the rather costly 'Deluxe' edition of the core books). It's a question of principle for me; I assume a new printing would include all relevant changes to the contents the publisher is aware of (especially as it doesn't cost any extra; they already did that for the 'Deluxe' edition, so the work is done).

Dausuul

Legend
There is a legitimate concern with rules changes - even if a rules change is vitally needed to make the game better, you don't want the player and the DM to be looking at different rulebooks.

IMO, the way to go is to have both errata and rules tweaks included in later printings, but include footnotes wherever there is a substantive change, so everybody can see what happened.

No, this belongs into a foreword. And yes, everything they are aware of should include errata up to this date. Its a shame if you know something is wrong and you don`t correct it.

If you buy some book you expect it to be as correct as possible. And Mr. Rouse indeed promised updated books in newer print runs.

Skywalker

Adventurer
If that's the case, Skywalker, that's extremely disappointing.
Not smart business, either, given that a fair number of people would probably purchase a second PHB if it included errata and other updates.

I remember the Rouse saying that future printings would have errata applied though, so hopefully nothing has changed since then.

I admit I could be wrong. The statement was made a while back in relation to Star Wars Saga with an implication it was a company wide policy. If people could confirm that errata appears in later editions that would be cool.

FWIW the decision not to would make sense from a business POV. WotC had encountered many issue with retailers over printing changes with customers looking to return books that weren't the latest printing. For a retailers, it is confusing.

drothgery

First Post
I admit I could be wrong. The statement was made a while back in relation to Star Wars Saga with an implication it was a company wide policy. If people could confirm that errata appears in later editions that would be cool.

... and was not accurate. Later printings of the SWSE core rulebook do include errata. There are no later printings of other Star Wars rulebooks.

Remove ads