• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Later core book printings

Skywalker

Adventurer
I've been waiting for the next print run of the core rulebooks that will include the errata. It's the only reason that's holding me back from buying them.

I am pretty sure that WotC's stance is that it no longer updates its book by printing. Instead, errata is added to the Updates, and significant errata is included in later books like Stealth in PHB2 and Skill Challenges in DMG2.

As such, you may be waiting for a long time.

Almacov

First Post
If that's the case, Skywalker, that's extremely disappointing.
Not smart business, either, given that a fair number of people would probably purchase a second PHB if it included errata and other updates.

I remember the Rouse saying that future printings would have errata applied though, so hopefully nothing has changed since then.

Dire Bare

Legend
I am pretty sure that WotC's stance is that it no longer updates its book by printing. Instead, errata is added to the Updates, and significant errata is included in later books like Stealth in PHB2 and Skill Challenges in DMG2.

Nope. Errata IS included in subsequent printings, at least one of which has already happened. Actual rule changes is not, which is why you find updated rules in DMG 2 and online at DDI.

If WotC sold a "revised" PHB, that not only included errata but also rules changes and minor rules additions (new keywords), I'd buy it. I probably wouldn't buy any other 4e rulebook under the same circumstances, however. New art would be icing on the cake!

And, I'm going to have to check out that gallery, the images posted in this thread are awesome!

Originally I was holding out for an updated and errated version of the 4E books (or at least the PHB) to be printed before I bought them. Now, however, I have decided that I may hold off on buying them at all.

The current 3.5E campaign I am running (Shackled City AP) is going really well and I anticipate that will take at least another year to complete, and probably closer to two years. By that time 4E would have been out for 4 years. I've got at least 3 other 3.5E AP's that I want to run so by the time I run a couple of them 5E will probably be around the corner (not trying to start an edition war, just basing my estimates on how long previous editions have lasted).

I think now that I have made it through the "Ooohhhh shiny new thing! Must have it." I am less inclined to buy in to 4E.

I definitely think that reprints of the PHB should include all errata though. It makes sense from a business perspective (hardcore players will rebuy a PHB to get the errata incorporated) as well as a fan perspective (not having to go searching online for errata).

Olaf the Stout

Aus_Snow

First Post
Nope. Errata IS included in subsequent printings
Not according to Wizards of the Coast. And yeah, I'll be taking their (direct) word for it. No offence. :)

I'm not sure if they actually used the word 'never', but words to that effect were definitely used. This was re: the three original core books, btw.

Hawke

Explorer
Interesting, I just saw stuff like
118035_CN_GL.jpg

I'm all for errata. I'm even more for PDFs.

Edit: What the heck, couldn't the character go S, SE, SE, SE, SE for a total of 5, not 6, to the far left?

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer

Not according to Wizards of the Coast. And yeah, I'll be taking their (direct) word for it. No offence. :)

I'm not sure if they actually used the word 'never', but words to that effect were definitely used. This was re: the three original core books, btw.

According to who? Rouse has said on multiple occasions that the next batch of PHB's would include errata.

Aus_Snow

First Post
According to who? Rouse has said on multiple occasions that the next batch of PHB's would include errata.
Then, it seems, either there is a less than clear flow of information between departments/individuals at WotC, or WotC have changed their mind about this, after all this time. Or the earlier information (which everyone seemed to agree upon, even WotC, not so long ago at all, btw) was incorrect to begin with, I suppose. . . The last option is the least likely, of course.

The word came directly (to me personally) from customer service, by the way, and they were totally certain (i.e., leaving no room for doubt or later change, even saying as much, in terms of policy, blah) - oh, *and*, in every thread I remember seeing here on the subject (and there were several, at the least, not surpisingly) Mr. Rouse (or whoever else from WotC, even when they were clearly online here at the time) never answered one way or the other. . .

Perhaps he/they gauged those questions, threads, complaints, etc., waited to sell the copies already made (with errata unaddressed), then decided that, yeah, folks (i.e., customers + potential customers) would be happier if errata was dealt with, and that the time/effort/costs involved would be easily outweighed.

Communication error, or backflip? :hmm:

edit --- Or - y'know, the obligatory - perhaps sales are waning. . .? :D

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
snip the usual anti-wotc-preaching

Or maybe CS is #¤%&/()= clueless, as always? Considering the PHB and the Core Set seems to be maintaining a stable presence in the top 5 over on Amazon, maybe their last print run was just a bit optimistic?

That said, this is the quote in question
Scott Rouse said:
The PDFs will be updated with errata around the time the Special edition core books come out.

The standard print core books will see it on their next reprint and that date depends on the rate of inventory movement.

CapnZapp

Legend
Edit: What the heck, couldn't the character go S, SE, SE, SE, SE for a total of 5, not 6, to the far left?
No, because by the rules written on the block of stone, you can only walk across a corner if it's the very first step of movement you do.

Of course I have no idea what this pic is supposed to represent, and in which context, so there might be other considerations...

Remove ads