Proposal: Atreus D'torian's Overhaul

Atriden

First Post
When I created Atreus, I wanted to create a smooth poetic type rogue but ultimately ended up not playing him as I intended. I discovered that Atreus was a lot more dark and sinister in nature during his time with the Punishment Patrol, and still is.
Somehow I didn't feel that rogue fitted him well; Atreus was something else, something darker.
So, what to do? I saw the possibility to make him a hybrid of some sort later on, but none of the classes really fit with what I wanted to do with him. Then out of the blue sky comes the Assassin class in dragon 379 and the race Revenant in dragon 376.

Proposal:
Change Atreus' class and race with his overhaul. Change his class from Rogue to Assassin, Change his race from Human to Revenant(Human)

Comments:
My idea is that Atreus get's caught up with his past. Corrupted agents from the Kingdom of Jade get a tip that Atreus is hiding in Daunton and are sent to recover the scroll he caries ( See Atreus' background for more information)

Dispite the best of his skills, he is caught by the agents and refuses to give them the scroll, which is hidden. Seeing no other option, Atreus zealously takes his own life in order to protect the whereabouts of the scroll.

To his surprise he wakes up in a court of dark beings whom he finds strangely familiar. He quickly realizes that he his dead and that this must be the afterlife. Judged by the court, he is deemed suitable by these long forgotten ancestors of his, and is given two choices: Let his spirit join the rest of his people or be sent back to the mortal realm to serve their purpose against the Oni, when the time comes. He returns finding himself changed in many ways and that the ancestors have granted him powers beyond his understanding.

Rationale:
Instead of creating a whole new character, I want to keep Atreus and still continue his story but with some differences.
I know I am asking much, change of class and race, but the two classes aren't that alien to one another and much of the same elements are in play, like he still is a sneak, just a better one.
The race issue, well he still has a human background so the race change is not completely irrational.

Other details:
Ability scores change to 10 str, 16 con, 18 dex, 10 int, 10 wis, 16 cha

Feat: Multi: Sneak of Shadows, Toughness feat

Powers: Leaping Shade, Executioner's Noose, Nightmare Shades, Targeted for Death, Cloak of Shades.

Equipment: No changes to his current equipment.

Summary: So this is what I propose:
Change Race: Human to Revenant(human)
Change Class: Rogue to Assassin
Reason: Wants to keep his current character but wants to change him into something else, that is better suitable for the character and my interest.
Effect: I figured, if the changes are accepted, that they would happen after the Closed Eye adventure concludes or work something out with Covaithe, perhaps intertwine the changes with the current adventure.

Nebten

First Post
Wow a couple of Assassin's rebuilds cropping up. Why even try to play consistently with races and classes. We should instead just have a Name and then tied to that Name is a pool of XP and GOLD. Then people can adjust things between every module to their liking. Then of course, why have rules if we are going to have exceptions all the time. Yet nick-pick about stuff that one PC may pick up if he creates his character a certian way because of possible "abuse."

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I have to agree with THB. If the choice is between allowing overhauls like this and having brand-new characters popping up to replace original characters that the player didn't like the mechanics of (but still liked the character - personality, motivations, etc...), then I'd rather allow these overhauls.

Besides, we've had, what, 5 of these? We have about 75 active characters in 15 adventures, so it's not like it's something everyone is doing, and no one has done it twice (nor would I look favourably on anyone attempting to do it twice).

I'll also point out that, according to the fluff on revenants, you could argue that Atreus' race isn't changing. Revenants are created when someone dies and gets 'sent back' to fulfill some purpose. If the human Atreus dies and gets sent back as a revenant, then he's a revenant. Zero refluffing of the character needed for that part.

Theroc

First Post
It's like Nightcrawler + Batman rolled up into one class. Also, it's exclusive.

Apologies for the somewhat unrelated comment, but hearing the Assassin compared to Nightcrawler makes me want to play one... though that'd cost me at least ten bucks to sign up for a month of DDI to access, which is money I don't have. *Bamf!*

Atriden

First Post
Nebten said:
Why even try to play consistently with races and classes. We should instead just have a Name and then tied to that Name is a pool of XP and GOLD. Then people can adjust things between every module to their liking. Then of course, why have rules if we are going to have exceptions all the time.
Now, that's is a bit harsh, isn't it ;).

Well, I agree that it would be a shame if everybody started to change their classes, races and such every other month, but this is not the case. Every character has the overhaul option once during their character careers and if they want, they can make dramatic changes to their class, like feats, powers, ability scores and class features.

This is just such an affair and not a monthly change. I know the changes would be permanent.

I also agree that there should be "rules" or as I like to see them as guidelines to make a consistent community. I am pretty sure if someone started to abuse the overhaul system or other loopholes to customise his/hers character all the time, the community would interfere and strike hard.

TwoHeadsBarking said:
So is the solution to force people to continue playing characters they don't want to play?
I sure hope not

Mal Malenkirk said:
I have nothing constructive to say except; what is so damn attractive about the assassin class?

We'll soon have more assassins than warforged!
Its just flat out cool! It also has this forbidden charm over it. Mostly its pretty unique in its design and I am sure it would be very fun to play.

TwoHeadsBarking said:
It's like Nightcrawler + Batman rolled up into one class.
Haha, haven't thought about that :D!

renau1g

First Post
Wow a couple of Assassin's rebuilds cropping up. Why even try to play consistently with races and classes. We should instead just have a Name and then tied to that Name is a pool of XP and GOLD. Then people can adjust things between every module to their liking. Then of course, why have rules if we are going to have exceptions all the time. Yet nick-pick about stuff that one PC may pick up if he creates his character a certian way because of possible "abuse."

Well, considering my PC was created on day 1 of L4W I think it would be disingenuous to make this accusation, albeit with a brief break. Not sure where the vitriolic nature of this post came from, but if you have issues with how L4W is being run, perhaps an e-mail to the judges off-line to discuss in a constructive manner rather than slagging others here would be more effective.

The whole reason I wish to switch up to assassin is that it fits my PC much better, there was always something slightly off with him in my mind's eye, so once assassin came out I realized this was a better fit. It most certainly isn't a move to get a more powerful PC (in which case I'd probably switch to ranger) or drastically changes how Murphy acts, heck I might even switch his persona when he comes back to the tavern, who knows.

Nebten

First Post
So is the solution to force people to continue playing characters they don't want to play?

You've already made rules that say otherwise.

[http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-4th-edition/241241-official-l4w-character-creation-guide.html ]

"Every time your character gains a level, you can retrain one feat, power, and skill. If new character options have been approved for play in L4W since your character’s last approval of submission or level-up, you may additionally retrain one new feat, power, and class feature (when selectable) from the new source(s).

Once before your character is approved for level 2, you may do an overhaul of your character. This is a single opportunity in that character’s career to recreate all mechanical aspects of the character except for class, race, ability scores, and basic character concept. The overhaul must be approved as per the normal rules for character approval, and requires DM permission if the character is involved in an adventure."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases