Proposal: Atreus D'torian's Overhaul

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Yes, but if you're unhappy with your class, that's not going to help. I've played RL games where people become massively unhappy with their class after a few sessions once they figure out exactly how it plays. Changing a feat or skill or even class feature isn't always enough.

Frankly, I'd rather people be having fun with their characters. No sarcasm, I'm sorry if stuff like this lessens your enjoyment of L4W. But I think it's more important that Atriden be happy with his character than anyone else be happy with his character.

Finally, this isn't really screwing with continuity. Atriden put forward a justification based on his character background as to why this would happen.

dimsdale

First Post
Nebten,

I'm curious what about this has got you so worked up?

I think that Nebten wants everyone to follow the rules that are in place. If THB want to make this change, then maybe a proposal to change the second level overhaul rule should be made. That way others, besides THB, could take advantage of doing the same thing if they don't like something about their characters (only at second level).

elecgraystone

First Post
Nebten,

I think it's what dimsdale said. It was most likely aggravated by multiple people doing it at the same time.

I have to admit I thought the same thing. Add to that I'd been waiting to make a second character until something new came out that I wanted to try. If I can just morph my characters into what I want to play at any point and at any level, I could have just made up any old character without worrying about class and race and been playing for a while now just to collect EXP for that 'future' character.

That said I'm not seriously miffed about it. More mildly irked. I'd have just let it pass if Nebten hadn't said something.

renau1g

First Post
... If I can just morph my characters into what I want to play at any point and at any level, I could have just made up any old character without worrying about class and race and been playing for a while now just to collect EXP for that 'future' character.

Ah, I see. The judges have already stated that this has only happened a handful of times (which is why each case needs to be reviewed) and if in 6-8 months (whenever PHB3 comes out) I said "hey judges I'm tired of being an assassin, I think Murphy should be a monk now", I'd expect them to say "go to hell, time to make a new PC". Personally, I'm less a fan of racial changes, although in Atriden's case it's not a true racial change, he's still considered human.

If you are just playing some stats or numbers (rather than a PC) you might do what you're suggesting above, but I know that myself (and Atriden) are actually doing this for the opposite reason, we both really enjoy our PC's and don't want them to go away.

elecgraystone

First Post
LOL I understand renau1g, which is why I'm only mildly irked. If someone didn't knowing you, you can see how someone can think that way can't you? ;)

The thing is I don't really know Atriden that well so I can't be as sure of his motives. I know I could make up a character I like and not have his personality wrapped up in his class and race so I could see someone else being able to.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
If THB want to make this change, then maybe a proposal to change the second level overhaul rule should be made. That way others, besides THB, could take advantage of doing the same thing if they don't like something about their characters (only at second level).

A. I already proposed that a few months ago. It got shot down.

B. I've changed my mind. I'm going to stick with warlock. Although I'm neither of the people who proposed changing their characters.

C. The level limit was removed from the overhaul a while back. Someone, maybe even me, really should update the charter.

Atriden

First Post
Wow, I didn't expect so much fuss over my overhaul, but then again it is understandable.
Dimsdale said:
I think that Nebten wants everyone to follow the rules that are in place. If THB want to make this change, then maybe a proposal to change the second level overhaul rule should be made. That way others, besides THB, could take advantage of doing the same thing if they don't like something about their characters (only at second level)
TwoHeadsBarking said:
C. The level limit was removed from the overhaul a while back. Someone, maybe even me, really should update the charter.
I have found the thread here and here is a reference to the three judges that approved of overhaul at all levels:
Proposal: here
Approval: 1 , 2 , 3

Even though the overhaul can be made regardless of level, the issue is still at hand since the changes are bigger then the system allows.
elecgraystone said:
I have to admit I thought the same thing. Add to that I'd been waiting to make a second character until something new came out that I wanted to try. If I can just morph my characters into what I want to play at any point and at any level, I could have just made up any old character without worrying about class and race and been playing for a while now just to collect EXP for that 'future' character.
I understand what you mean, but I still don't think its the case in this situation. Much of the character concept is still intact. I could understand the argument if I were to change Atreus from a Rogue to a barbarian, something so extreme that the character concept would be completely ruined.
And, this is fairly early in my characters career, he is still level 2 (almost level 3) which makes the change less dramatic than if he did it at level 20.
The race issue, well as renau1g said, he is still part human and so I wouldn't say it is completely out of line, like changing from human to Kenku.
renau1g said:
If you are just playing some stats or numbers (rather than a PC) you might do what you're suggesting above, but I know that myself (and Atriden) are actually doing this for the opposite reason, we both really enjoy our PC's and don't want them to go away.
TwoHeadsBarking said:
Finally, this isn't really screwing with continuity. Atriden put forward a justification based on his character background as to why this would happen.
Exactly. Thanks for backing me up :)
elecgraystone said:
The thing is I don't really know Atriden that well so I can't be as sure of his motives. I know I could make up a character I like and not have his personality wrapped up in his class and race so I could see someone else being able to.
Well, I would say that in my case my characters background has much to do with how he is, his skills and line of trade. From a very young age, he has been trained in assassination, to infiltrate others and most importantly, survive the cruel world. With the change, he goes is own way's, adapting new powers and skills so that he might better counter any threat and pursue his ultimate goal in life, which is to be a strong as possible and return to the kingdom to rid the world of the wretched souls whom framed him and his master. Being able to do so has a price and that price is that he must give away some of his humanity in order to return to the world of the living and finish what he had begun.

If you want to get to know me, please feel free to do so. I am currently in league with the Punishment Patrol in Covaithe's adventure " The Closed Eye " - Part 1(my entry into the game) and Part 2.

You will learn I am not such a bad guy ... well Atreus might be ;)

And, I am also in stringbeans creepy adventure " Enemy among us " with my earth genasi Atlas.

Last edited:

elecgraystone

First Post
Well Atriden, my comments were mainly in reply to this post.
Nebten,

I personally wasn't looking for a justification from you on why you are doing this. Your intentions are most likely in the right place but I was pointing out how it looked from the outside. And, as you said, the judges are backing you up so you most likely don't need to convince them. ;)

A far as getting to know you, time isn't on my side I'm afraid. I really should be doing other things instead of posting here including finishing up my ebberon character. Everyone seems to understand now why Nebten might have been voicing objections so my job here is done! :p

Remove ads