D&D 5E Shenanigans - The Deck of Many Things

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Last Friday night I put a Deck of Many Things into my game world. Just, ya know, dropped it on a table and left it there, just to see what would happen. Shenanigans ensued.

-----

The party consists of five, 10th and 11th level characters: a human gunslinger, a human assassin, a firbolg druid, a goliath monk, and a changeling artificer. They were traveling by ship to a distant, uncharted island, when they ran across a gundalow (a sailed barge) out in the middle of the sea. There was a two-story wooden tavern built upon that barge, and it was bedecked with lanterns and bunting and a large banner that read "Welcome to the Harborlight Inn." So obviously, the party of adventurers had to stop in for a pint. Well. The Harborlight Inn is actually a Ship of the Fey. It floats on the boundary between the Material Plane and the Feywild, and only appears for a few hours every few years. Legends tell of strange and beautiful people, rare and wonderful goods--and people getting trapped in the Feywild if they stay too long.

Anyway. So the party hails the vessel, docks their ship, and joins the party. There's exotic food, there's delicious coffee, there's dancing, there's a hookah-smoking contest. And sitting upon a satyr merchant's table, nestled among some curios and bottles, was an unassuming deck of Tarot cards. Just sitting there, out in the open, unlabeled. Just waiting for someone to come along and pick it up.

That someone was the firbolg druid. He sat down to browse the different bottles, hoping for an interesting potion or two, and just casually picked up the deck. The satyr smiled, revealing a mouthful of rotten teeth. "Fate beckons you," they said. "You will answer her call."

-----

"How many cards did you pick up?" I asked.

"Aw crap," the player said, realizing what he had done. "Well I didn't draw the WHOLE deck, geez."

I decided to give him a way out. I asked, "So how many cards did you grab?" Sometimes I'm too nice for my own good.

"I dunno man, I guess it was random...hold on." He rolled a d6, and the result was FIVE. "I guess I drew five cards. Damn." The whole table gasped in awe. "So here goes," he said, and started rolling.

The first card was The Gem, and he was suddenly very wealthy. "This ain't so bad," he said, prematurely.

The second card he drew was The Idiot, which reduced his Intelligence from 14 to 10. "I guess I won't be multiclassing with wizard after all," he said, thinking back to his last level-up when he was mulling over his options.

The third card was The Fates, and the player breathed a sigh of relief. He could relax a bit, knowing he could undo a bad card draw...and he almost used it on the spot to undo his Intelligence drain, but decided to hold onto it for the next two draws.

He didn't hold it for long. The fourth card he drew was The Talons, which would have disintegrated every magic item on his character sheet. "Nope," he said emphatically, and immediately cashed in the Fates card.

And the final card was The Comet. He is now anxiously waiting the next encounter, because he knows that he has to win it single-handedly in order to gain a level. "I don't want you to pull any punches," the player told me after the gaming session. "Don't adjust the encounter to make it a fair fight." I assured him that I wouldn't. (I never do. I have one random encounter table for this part of the world, and it contains monsters from CR 1/2 all the way up to CR 20. I trust my players to know when they are outmatched, and they trust me to give them opportunities to flee/surrender if they're on the ropes.) Then he told the rest of the players, "You guys can jump in if I drop to zero, but until then, let me play the hand I was dealt, literally."

-----

So now everyone is waiting for Friday night's game, to see what our firbolg druid is up against and whether or not he gains a level from it.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The Deck of Many Things has been around for decades, and it has a colorful reputation.

Has anyone else ever used the Deck of Many Things in their game? Do tell!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The Deck of Many Things has been around for decades, and it has a colorful reputation.

Has anyone else ever used the Deck of Many Things in their game? Do tell!
Many times; both the original and some variants.

And with rare exceptions the players just can't resist having their characters dive in and draw cards.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Talons has come up a few times, disenchanting everyone's magic items on the spot (including the Deck itself, once). Some of the really nice ones where you gain a whole whack of xp have come up. And Throne comes up Every. Single. Time. - those little castles are sprouting like weeds around my setting. :)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
To try and sum up a long story:

The party had infiltrated a large mansion, and killed the owner, who was a high ranking cultist of a demon lord. They found a dug-out tunnel in the basement of the mansion, that led almost a mile below ground, and led to a highly magical ruin. In the ruin, among the magic items they found was the Deck.

They also found out that death cult had gathered thousands of monstrous and demonic troops, and was using the magical ruin as a staging ground, and the tunnel into the mansion was going to be the beachhead of their invasion in the next day or so. The party tried numerous ways to stop them, but in desperation, they turned to the Deck.

The first guy who pulled got Thrones. So, I gave him the title to the closest unowned structure that was around the right amount of value. The mansion at the top of the tunnel. And since we had established the mansion had a ton of magical defenses when they had to infiltrate it, including an antipathy shield, my entire invasion plan got ruined by one pull of the Deck. It was glorious.

Later on in that game, in another desperate situation, someone else used the Deck, and drew Death. They succeeded on a DC 30 Persuasion check to convince Death to engage in a clarinet duel, which the character promptly won after Death rolled a Nat 1 on their Performance check, despite having advantage.

Fanaelialae

Legend
The Deck usually shows up once in a campaign at my table. We play that after someone draws all their cards, the cards get shuffled back in (that way everyone has the same chances of risk and reward). I actually have a few different customized Decks that I've used over the years.

In my current campaign, two players drew the Throne, so I created a floating two-part keep that they each control half of. It can split into two floating keeps that are a bit slower than the combined keep. It's been their base of operations ever since.

One player drew Fates. She was playing a homebrew race known as an Unwritten, which are basically people who've been excised from reality and fallen into the Nether. The Nether is basically a dimension where everything that doesn't exist is stored as information. Upon entering the Nether, anything physical ceases to be but particularly strong-willed souls can gather ideas to them as a kind of body, and if they're lucky, find a portal that leads out of the Nether, whereupon they have bodies made up of these amalgams of ideas, and usually little to no recollection of who they once were. She was a pink dragon made of candy as an Unwritten. She used the Fates to undo the event that made her an Unwritten, and basically remade her character.

Another character drew the Void, which locks your soul away somewhere as usual, but in this Deck a variant of you from an alternate timeline inhabits your body, meaning that you have to take all of your levels and apply them to a different class. This actually resulted in an interesting twist in a recent adventure, where thanks to hag magic the original character's soul (and class) were returned to her, but her variant remained (and due to the deal she struck with the hag, was forced to marry a fey lord).

Also, amusingly, the guy playing a flumph pulled a card that caused mutation, and his flumph grew a neck, which has been an endless source of running jokes throughout the campaign (the flumph's player thinks it's hilarious).

Plenty of other results as well, some good, some bad, but those were the highlights IMO.

Edit: Just thought of one more highlight. The druid pulled the Vizir. Much later, they acquired an extremely powerful wish. They were trying to stop a god of the Far Realm, and they wanted to use the wish to get rid of it, but were going in circles trying to debate how to safely phrase the wish. In steps the druid with the Vizir, and the party got rid of the big bad of the campaign just like that. (Which was fine. It took the campaign in an interesting direction and their actions managed to give rise to a new big bad a few sessions later.)

Last edited:

We drew from the Harrow Deck of Many Things and our wizard ended up with his own pocket dimension and a large, black, unremovable gem sticking out the side of his head that makes him vulnerable to sonic energy.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The party consists of five, 10th and 11th level characters: a human gunslinger, a human assassin, a firbolg druid, a goliath monk, and a changeling artificer. They were traveling by ship to a distant, uncharted island, when they ran across a gundalow (a sailed barge) out in the middle of the sea. There was a two-story wooden tavern built upon that barge, and it was bedecked with lanterns and bunting and a large banner that read "Welcome to the Harborlight Inn." So obviously, the party of adventurers had to stop in for a pint. Well. The Harborlight Inn is actually a Ship of the Fey. It floats on the boundary between the Material Plane and the Feywild, and only appears for a few hours every few years. Legends tell of strange and beautiful people, rare and wonderful goods--and people getting trapped in the Feywild if they stay too long.
This is a really good encounter, btw. Well done.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
They were traveling by ship to a distant, uncharted island, when they ran across a gundalow (a sailed barge) out in the middle of the sea. There was a two-story wooden tavern built upon that barge, and it was bedecked with lanterns and bunting and a large banner that read "Welcome to the Harborlight Inn." So obviously, the party of adventurers had to stop in for a pint. Well. The Harborlight Inn is actually a Ship of the Fey. It floats on the boundary between the Material Plane and the Feywild, and only appears for a few hours every few years. Legends tell of strange and beautiful people, rare and wonderful goods--and people getting trapped in the Feywild if they stay too long.
Yoink. Borrowing that.
Another character drew the Void, which locks your soul away somewhere as usual, but in this Deck a variant of you from an alternate timeline inhabits your body, meaning that you have to take all of your levels and apply them to a different class. This actually resulted in an interesting twist in a recent adventure, where thanks to hag magic the original character's soul (and class) were returned to her, but her variant remained (and due to the deal she struck with the hag, was forced to marry a fey lord).
Borrowing that too.

Remove ads