So What Does Your Group Do When NOT in Combat?

When not in initiative, what does your group do? What different "modes" of play do you use?

Modes of non-combat activity for our group roughly include:
1. The Skill Challenge (*see below)
2. The Haggling Scene (trade of goods)
3. The 10 ft. Pole Scene (exploring, trapfinding, puzzle-solving)
4. The Free Roleplaying Scene (where you communicate with NPCs so long as a skill challenge doesn't get in the way)
5. The Travel Scene (where you summate 5 days of uneventful travel)
6. The Downtime Scene (where you work out with the DM the basics of what your character is doing with their time off camera).

What other non-combat stuff does your group do - I'm sure there's lots of interesting stuff I've missed.

*During our latest game night (4e), I came to the conclusion that my group in the main does not Grok skill challenges - and this from my perspective as a player. The codifying of this non-combat game mode just doesn't sit well with our group in terms of what it is used to doing. Our DM tried his damnest to get players involved but there seemed to be a constant clashing of gears with how the skill challenge was obviously written, and what our group was trying (or more to the point not trying to do). So while in theory the "Skill Challenge" mode reads well, in practice it just doesn't work with our group - it seems too difficult to get things to click - to the point where we're thinking of scrapping or curtailing skill challenges in the future.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Shemeska

Adventurer
1) Talking to NPCs
2) Talking to each other
3) Exploring

All three of those probably each more often than straight up combat.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Usually 1,4,6, but it depends on who's present. My guy usually goes the tavern and drinks, grotesquely displaying battle trophies and trying to meet women. Lightens the mood a little bit in between "we need you to save the realm" scenes.

Thasmodious

First Post
5. The Travel Scene (where you summate 5 days of uneventful travel)

My new favorite way to play the travel scene is by using and tweaking Savage Worlds travel scene rules, which can be found here under 'Dramatic Interludes'. Basically, the players take a bit of control and get to tell a story and play out a scene involving the rest of the group as a means of simulating the journey and keeping things interesting.

As for skill challenges, I LOVE skill challenges and just don't get why some groups seem to have trouble with them. Well, actually, I have my theories, but that might be the subject for another thread. I like them so much I use them in other games which have skill systems but don't have skill challenges (like Savage Worlds).

Ahnehnois

First Post
When not in initiative, what does your group do?
Argue.

Beyond that, there's a lot of strategizing and talking about what's coming up, a lot of freeform conversations with NPCs, and a lot of skill checks, both important (predict the weather, heal the sick, research) and less so (how tasty is dinner, who knows random trivia).

My descriptions of terrain and people are usually minimalistic; the players ask a ton of questions afterward. I don't like using in-session time on shopping/identifying items. I really doin't like actually playing that out.

I use complex skill checks with no trouble. Since I'm typically just making up parameters freeform, there isn't much arguing about interpretation, and it's really helpful to simulate certain things this way.

The Green Adam

First Post
Sorry, I don't mean to troll but...

I'm confused by this question.

What do the PCs in my campaign do when not fighting? Everything else. They talk to each, they to NPCs, they explore, they do research, they craft items, they go on vacation, they use skills, they practice their skills (in my campaigns you can practice skills to increase them independant of levels), they write memoires, they make maps, they paint, they go to taverns and drink and play darts and play music and hit on the opposite (and less often the same) sex, they...er...generate offspring...they do a lot of things.

AD
Barking Aliens

Joseph Rossow

First Post
I'm going to ignore the stated question and insert my own, modified question, which is

"What do I do with my party when they are not on an adventure (ie. back in town)?"

I must say, this has got to be one of my favorite parts of the game, and I can - and have - spent entire sessions dealing with the antics and escapades of adventurers who are back in town with a lot of money, and very little sense.

I love describing shady merchants who offer up incredible magical items "A sword made from a red dragon's breath! An hourglass which will turn back time!" The best part is that, sometimes, the items are genuine! Tempting adventurers with items which they want but either can't handle or aren't good the party is one of my favorite things.

I also enjoy describing fun encounters. What happens when a party of 10th level characters see a mugging? How much attention to they attract when they slam down a pouch full of platinum on the bar and declare "Drinks for Everyone!"? Are they invited to become members of the League of Dragonslayers?

Sometimes adventurers make interesting and helpful friends, and sometimes they make dire enemies. On one occasion a Rogue rescued a Siren from the the clutches of an evil merchant, who used her to make money, and ended up getting married to her!

All that said, I like dealing with what happens when you loose a band of rich adventurers on a city. The antics never fail to entertain.

Sorry I don't mean to troll but...
I'm confused by this question.

Sorry for the confusion; I'm just interested in the different "modes" of gameplay that groups typically (or untypically) use to get different things done. Some of these come up so often that they become a standard (the haggling scene for our group for example).

For a less standard (but truly excellent) example that I read of:

Setup: Castle Outpost
The party leave an outpost to investigate Lizardfolk activity in the nearby swamps. While the party are away from the outpost, it is attacked by "zombies" (yes this is from Age of Worms for those of you who recognize the setup and post).

The players are each given a character (with minimal character sheet and a couple of scenario motives) within the outpost to roleplay. They are all down in the tunnels underneath the keep to investigate a missing serving woman when they are attacked and all die horribly to these unknown zombies. The aim is to roleplay some of the NPCs they had met and known, rounding them out with a small scenario before they die horribly.

The player's were then obviously challenged in not metagaming their knowledge but at the same time, it filled out some of the story for the players so they could become more invested in the module. This seemed a very neat approach to some of the things you could do when not in PC combat.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads